Link: Heisman Trust Removes "Integrity" From Mission Statement

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Maybe someone should propose a new award for the Most Outstanding Collegiate Player Who Has Integrity. We could give it a name but I'm finding it difficult to think of anyone who has INTEGRITY. We could keep the Heisman Award and just call it the Most Outstanding Collegiate Player Who Shows No Signs of Integrity.

How about the Mother Theresa Award for the one that has INTEGRITY?

The other could be called the Johnny and Jameis Award.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Another sad blow to college football, but it's old news at this point given how low their standards have been.

College football set itself apart for years, by at least in theory having standards other sports didn't have, now they're doing the best they can to remove those standards.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
At least the Walter Camp Award description still has qualifying language that speaks to character.

The Walter Camp Trophy is awarded to the outstanding player of the year who has exemplified the qualities of self-discipline, unselfish team play, desire to excel, mature judgement and respect for leadership. He must be a dedicated competitor who has made effective use of his athletic talent to enhance the great American game of college football. His standout performance on the playing field must be accompanied by an equally strong effort to contribute to the betterment of the life of all his fellow human beings. He must exhibit an awareness of the need to fulfill his role as a leader. He must espouse the ideals adhered to by Walter Camp, the “Father of American Football.”
But of course, they still gave the award to Jameis and Cam. At least JFF didn't win it.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Unfortunately this is indicative of America's current mores and society's acceptance of "whatever it takes".
You are correct, and it sickens me. I wonder what our forefathers would think of our country today. More importantly, I wonder how our veterans feel about what our country has come to represent. I still try to hold on to the principles of trusting in God, hard work, education, and justice; however, I rarely see those things any more. It truly is sad.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
That pretty much "Seals The Coffin" on The Heisman for me as far as it becoming a joke & useless for what it once stood for..And that's when it chose college football's best player on & off the field..At least they finally had the nads to pretty much admit that's the case..I quit watching it when sCam won it anyways..

Leeroy

All-SEC
Dec 27, 2005
That pretty much "Seals The Coffin" on The Heisman for me as far as it becoming a joke & useless for what it once stood for..And that's when it chose college football's best player on & off the field..At least they finally had the nads to pretty much admit that's the case..I quit watching it when sCam won it anyways..
I think he wants to be called Pam now.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Welcome to the club. I've felt that way a long time. I remember the beating I took around here because I wasn't excited as I was deemed that I should have been back in 2009 when Mark won it. I never thought Mark didn't deserve it, it's just that wasn't as impressed by what I consider a meaningless award.

bradley30

1st Team
Sep 9, 2009
Oxford, AL
Yeah, an outstanding football player doesn't need integrity any more as long as he can run for 1500 yards or pass for 3000 and lead his team to a championship. We shouldn't let character issues get in the way.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Aren't they about three years too late? I mean seriously. They were already disregarding it. I guess now they're just admitting it publicly. At least they're being straightforward now.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.