All-Inclusive Ebola thread...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Re: If Ebola comes to America, it's Obama's fault...

The article was behind a firewall (it may be free, but I have submitted my email address to enough web pages already, so I am not inclined to submit it to another). Did the article say that asymptomatic patients were nevertheless contagious, or is contagiousness contingent on symptoms being present?

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

The article was behind a firewall (it may be free, but I have submitted my email address to enough web pages already, so I am not inclined to submit it to another). Did the article say that asymptomatic patients were nevertheless contagious, or is contagiousness contingent on symptoms being present?

The investigators found that 14 of the previously quarantined individuals were seropositive, even though they had not been previously diagnosed with EBOV infection.

Interviews with the individuals revealed that whereas two of the seropositive individuals did report a fever during quarantine, the remaining 12 did not recall having any symptoms consistent with EVD.
"Although it was difficult to verify symptoms through our retrospective interviews (given the considerable denial of EVD during the outbreak due to stigma and the fear of being admitted to an [Ebola treatment unit,] where those admitted were seldom discharged), our data indicate that 25% of EBOV infections may have been minimally symptomatic, which is similar to the data from empiric studies and to recent modeled estimates," the authors write.
Dr Richardson and colleagues note that when EBOV was discovered in 1976, scientists noted that infection could result in minimal symptoms. The new results provide evidence that during an outbreak, EBOV infection does, indeed, present with a full spectrum of clinical manifestations.
The data also indicate that during the outbreak, many EBOV transmission events went undetected. As a consequence, further studies are needed to understand the risk for transmission and clinical sequelae in these individuals with newly recognized EBOV infection.

"Our study focused on the quarantined population of one village," cautioned the authors. "Extrapolation of our findings to other villages and generalizability to the epidemic should be approached with caution. Although many of the study participants were followed by surveillance teams during the time of active EBOV transmission in their village, the timing of the possible infection cannot be known from [immunoglobulin G] data, and it is improbable that surveillance teams followed each individual throughout the duration of the outbreak in Sierra Leone."

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Almost certainly asymptomatic but transmitting nonetheless...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

It seems we have a working vaccine:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/22/health/ebola-vaccine-study/index.html

An experimental vaccine against the Ebola virus was found to be 100% effective, according to a study published in The Lancet on Thursday.
The results offer hope of better protection against the disease that ravaged West Africa in 2014, killing more than 11,000 people.
The vaccine was manufactured by Merck, Sharp & Dohme and is being fast-tracked by US and European regulatory agencies.
Merck has promised to ensure that 300,000 doses of the vaccine will be available in case of a new Ebola flareup. It will submit the vaccine for licensing by the close of 2017.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.