All-Inclusive Ebola thread...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Re: Since Ebola has come to America, its spread will be the government's fault...

Yet the White House says no. Why? Anyone want to take a stab at that one?
I agree with DBF about the Administration's concern for maintaining an open borders policy at all costs.
I would add that any travel ban on people travelling from west Africa would have a disproportionate impact on black people. That dog won't hunt, in BHO's book. Can't have Federal officials blocking travel by a group that is overwhelmingly black.
I would favor a travel ban, followed by sending huge numbers of Justice Department lawyers (perhaps all of them) to Monrovia to investigate the disproportionate impact of the travel ban.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Re: Since Ebola has come to America, its spread will be the government's fault...

Reportedly by CNBC an "Ebola Czar" is about to be appointed - Ron Klain
What a joke. Another political hack who has no clue what's going on, but we'll spend billions of dollars accomplishing nothing. Maybe if our worthless President would quit playing golf he could handle such issues.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

I agree with DBF about the Administration's concern for maintaining an open borders policy at all costs.
I would add that any travel ban on people travelling from west Africa would have a disproportionate impact on black people. That dog won't hunt, in BHO's book. Can't have Federal officials blocking travel by a group that is overwhelmingly black.
I would favor a travel ban, followed by sending huge numbers of Justice Department lawyers (perhaps all of them) to Monrovia to investigate the disproportionate impact of the travel ban.
Obama has already stated his higher mission is to "protect" Africans. Yet the apologists keep on excusing his behavior.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000

Reportedly by CNBC an "Ebola Czar" is about to be appointed - Ron Klain
if this is him, Dear Jesus. Just what we need. Another Obama hack. From wikipedia:

Ronald A. "Ron" Klain is an American lawyer and political operative best known for serving as Chief of Staff to two Vice Presidents - Al Gore (1995–1999) and Joseph Biden (2009–2011).[1][2] He is an influential Democratic Party insider. Earlier in his career, he was a law clerk for Supreme Court Justice Byron White during the Court's 1987 and 1988 Terms and worked on Capitol Hill, where he was Chief Counsel to the Senate Judiciary Committee during the Clarence Thomas Supreme Court nomination. He was portrayed by Kevin Spacey in the HBO film Recount depicting the tumult of the 2000 presidential election.
Klain apparently signed off on President Obama's support of a $535 million loan guarantee for now-defunct solar-panel company Solyndra. Despite concerns about whether the company was viable, Klain approved an Obama visit, stating, "The reality is that if POTUS visited 10 such places over the next 10 months, probably a few will be belly-up by election day 2012."[10]

And he was VP Joe Biden's Chief of Staff. So he's got some real credentials in managing a deadly disease outbreak.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010

if this is him, Dear Jesus. Just what we need. Another Obama hack. From wikipedia:

And he was VP Joe Biden's Chief of Staff. So he's got some real credentials in managing a deadly disease outbreak.
Another crony, appointed to give the appearance "they care." How much will this position pay? How many new hires under him? How much in bonuses will go for nothing?

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Re: If Ebola comes to America, it's Obama's fault...

I caught a few seconds of local news before I turned it off (idiots) and Bradley Byrne (Congressman from Alabama) was speaking to the anchor about why he was wanting to ban all travel/flights from west Africa. Journalist asked what qualifications the head of the FAA had for saying this was a stupid idea. His reasoning, like Obama's, was that people will simply reroute their travel through other countries making it harder to track them. I agree; if you think screening someone coming straight from west Africa is not working, how much harder would it be trying to find out where thousands of people originally departed from when they come into the US? Rational thinking is disappearing fast on this topic; mass hysteria (I said "mass") can't be far behind. If you want to ban all travel in and out of the US for 30-60 days, fine; but nothing short of a total ban would work, and even then people could fly to Mexico/Canada and hop/skip/jump across the border.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

Can you easily tell from looking at a passport where a person has recently been and when they were there?

Yes, they should be stamped/dated. However, if someone travels across Africa and decides to fly out of, say, Mozambique (just an example, and maybe a bad one, but I know it isn't any harder to cross borders in African countries than it is to cross the US southern border with Mexico), they could say they have been there for a year and tracking down the veracity of that becomes difficult.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

I cant answer your question other than saying that we shouldn't make policy based on polls. Bubba was criticized quite often about that.
I would add this: What is the compelling necessity of not banning travel from west Africa until this Ebola outbreak is contained? Is there some critical shortage of West Africans in the US? Will our economy collapse without Liberian or Sierra Leonean travellers? A travel ban might inconvenience some foreigners. So what? Foreigners have no constitutional right to travel to the United States and only such rights here as we choose to extend to them.
I'm seeing a lot of downside of the current policy (inaction) and no significant upside.

Last edited:

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

I would add this: What is the compelling necessity of not banning travel from west Africa until this Ebola outbreak is contained? Is there some critical shortage of West Africans in the US? Will our economy collapse without Liberian or Sierra Leonean travellers? A travel ban might inconvenience some foreigners. So what? Foreigners have no constitutional right to travel to the United States and only such rights here as we choose to extend to them.
I'm seeing a lot of downside of the current policy (inaction) and no significant upside.
This seems to be the norm.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I think part of the rationale is that they can be screened, for whatever good that does, when we know where they're coming from...

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL

What a joke. Another political hack who has no clue what's going on, but we'll spend billions of dollars accomplishing nothing. Maybe if our worthless President would quit playing golf he could handle such issues.
Personally, I think he plays golf, as well as the extraneous vacations he takes, as an escape from the job. I also think that's because he possesses neither the desire nor motivation to actually perform the job to which he was elected. It wasn't near as tough for him to get elected (and re-elected) as POTUS as it is doing the job once he got there.

It's kind of like achieving the position of CEO of a major corporation. There's a whole lot more to the job than sitting back in that nice comfy chair and propping your legs up on the desk.

Last edited:

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

Personally, I think he plays golf, as well as the extraneous vacations he takes, as an escape from the job. I also think that's because he possesses neither the desire nor motivation to actually perform the job to which he was elected. It wasn't near as tough for him to get elected (and re-elected) as POTUS as it is doing the job once he got there.
He didn't do his job as the senator for IL either. It's too bad his opponent got caught up in a divorce scandal. Obama would have never been on the radar screen at this point.

Last edited:

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana

I think part of the rationale is that they can be screened, for whatever good that does, when we know where they're coming from...
I actually understand that rationale, and it may even be a viable argument. I don't really think that's the main driver, though. Personally, I believe the administration has a combination in place of politics and paralysis. We don't really know what to do, so we'll continue to position the issue to fit our political narrative until something forces us to move. I don't see much difference from the opposing side of the aisle, though. Most GOP Senators and Congressmen seem uncharacteristically silent and frozen, with the exceptions being the knee-jerkers who spin literally everything into an anti-administration rant.

I suppose I'm accustomed to analyzing things from a Human Factors standpoint. All I see from Washington right now is a collection of human beings either in semi-denial or full fight-or-flight mode. Genuine leadership seems vacant. This is no time for figureheads who rely on research teams, pollsters, and teleprompters, but that looks like what we've got. I don't mean that as snarky criticism; I'm not convinced that I would really be better prepared to handle this myself, so it would be a bit hypocritical for me to lash out too much.

We could use Churchillian leadership and resolve right now. I hope it manifests itself soon.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

Stamping out all these little brush-fires (assuming these turn out to be false alarms) is going to be a lot more expensive than just, I don't know, banning all flights and passengers that originate in west Africa, which would cost, effectively, next to nothing.
But that would run counter to the ideology, so, out the window that idea goes.
God forbid this should spread and kill thousands of Americans, but, if it does, I hope people remember which party declined to close the border.
I hope they remember for a century or two.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.