All-Inclusive Ebola thread...

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Re: If Ebola comes to America, it's the government's fault...

At least Murphy didn't come with Ebola. I fail to see any way on earth this could benefit the Democrats. Obama was the one who bypassed Besser, a career professional, and put a political hack in charge of the CDC...
Exactly. This will hopefully serve as some wake up call about political appts. I doubt it will, but it should...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

You would think someone at the CDC would be aware of such a simple fact, that most people know.

As a side note...............around 30 years ago, there was a study that showed the relationship between body temperature, when one goes to sleep, and sleep time. Lower body temperature results in less time needed to sleep. (And it's true! Trust me.............I don't work for the gubbament.)
When they're in med school, that 98.6 gets drummed into them so hard that, even though they know it's not accurate, they still think it's good enough for a benchmark. I guess they just don't have the time to ascertain "normal" for every patient. When I've gone in ill, I always tell them what my "normal" is, but most just shrug it off.

I had a weird experience once because of my low temps. A group of us used to play basketball every day at lunch at the old civic center which sat where the art museum is now. Once, Red Cross was taking blood donations in the lobby and I volunteered. You'd think my core temp would be elevated, after an hour of basketball, but that wasn't the case. I was somewhere around 94.5. They made me lie down and wouldn't let me leave. In fact, there was talk of taking me to the ER. I managed to explain to them my peculiarity and I eventually made it up to 96 and they took my blood...

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010

Patient at Yale-New Haven Hospital with Ebola-like symptoms

http://wtnh.com/2014/10/16/yale-new-haven-hospital-health-scare/

Read This Official Internal Statement for Yale New Haven Hospital obtain by News 8. (PDF)

Physicians document obtained by News 8 says, “On Wednesday evening Yale-New Haven Hospital admitted a patient who met the threshold to be monitored for Ebola virus disease(DVD). The Hospital is working with the CDC and Prevention and the State Department of Public Heath to have the patient tested for EVD.”

News 8 Medical Reporter Jocelyn Maminta has talked to a credible source with the hospital who says the patient is one of the Yale Researchers who just returned from a trip to Liberia on Monday. This is one of the same researchers officials decided not to have quarantined after their trip to Africa.

Last edited:

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md

i have mixed emotions: they are sending one of the zombie ebola nurses to maryland. so this may kill me. on the other hand it may kill a lot of the worthless slugs oozing around these parts. im conflicted.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA

i have mixed emotions: they are sending one of the zombie ebola nurses to maryland. so this may kill me. on the other hand it may kill a lot of the worthless slugs oozing around these parts. im conflicted.
I would expect you keep hazmat suits in your bunker. :)

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

The good outweighs the bad. Thank you for your sacrifice.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

If I get Ebola, just send me to the area where ISIS is located so that I can help eliminate some of those guys.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Otoh, Mrs. Reb's normal temp runs a full degree lower than mine, yet she sleeps much longer that I. Depending on the weather, I sleep anywhere between 6 to 8 hours. She can sleep 10-12 hours at a time if I don't wake her up.
Same here. Mrs. 1967 sleeps more than I do, yet her normal body temp is lower than mine.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

When they're in med school, that 98.6 gets drummed into them so hard that, even though they know it's not accurate, they still think it's good enough for a benchmark. I guess they just don't have the time to ascertain "normal" for every patient. When I've gone in ill, I always tell them what my "normal" is, but most just shrug it off.

I had a weird experience once because of my low temps. A group of us used to play basketball every day at lunch at the old civic center which sat where the art museum is now. Once, Red Cross was taking blood donations in the lobby and I volunteered. You'd think my core temp would be elevated, after an hour of basketball, but that wasn't the case. I was somewhere around 94.5. They made me lie down and wouldn't let me leave. In fact, there was talk of taking me to the ER. I managed to explain to them my peculiarity and I eventually made it up to 96 and they took my blood...
My mother, a native German, has a similar baseline body temperature. The last time she went to the ER (for a broken bone) the nurse panicked at her low temp and did not want to accept her protestation that it was indeed normal.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

My mother, a native German, has a similar baseline body temperature. The last time she went to the ER (for a broken bone) the nurse panicked at her low temp and did not want to accept her protestation that it was indeed normal.
It seems to run throughout my family. I haven't nailed it down as to which side it came from. However, according to my genome study, practically all my ancestors, except for a sliver of NA and 3% or so of Neanderthal came from around the fringes of the North Sea. (Actually, the Neanderthal could have come from there also.) We lately out of Africa share a lot of genes. I was a bit worried when armadillos managed to move this far north, since they carry leprosy. The reason is that their normal core temp is around 96F, which the leprosy bacterial prefer. That's the reason that humans who contract it normally lose their digits, nose, ears, etc., because that's where the blood cools down the most. If I ever contracted it, it would run rampant through my entire body. Of course, they say that it takes prolonged personal contact with a carrier. Like Ebola...

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA

I'm in the same boat. My baseline is close to 98 even. I've seen it at 97.7. I know I'm really sick if I get anything over a 100 and really don't feel well at 99.

This whole thing about having a baseline temp for Ebola is asinine given the variety of baseline temps for the average person.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Ebola research: Fever not a surefire sign of infection

"Yet the largest study of the current outbreak found that in nearly 13% of "confirmed and probable" cases in Liberia, Sierra Leone, Guinea and elsewhere, those infected did not have fevers."

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-1012-ebola-fever-20141012-story.html#page=1
Or their normal baseline, like mine, are so depressed that their temps didn't qualify as a "fever."

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL

Earle, you planning on keeping this thread title updated?

Will it eventually be called, "Since ebola has come to America and spread, it's the government's fault"?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.