All-Inclusive Ebola thread...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Please confine remarks about Obama to this thread ONLY! Please do not clutter up the thread about the disease with more "hate" posts. If you have a problem with this, PM me. Any "debate" post about policy will be deleted and the poster suspended. I'm not fond of Obama either. I just don't share the obsession of some here and sometimes, I just want to read something not cluttered up with O/C...

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Re: If Ebola comes to America, it's Obama's fault...

There. Please confine remarks about Obama to this thread ONLY! Please do not clutter up the thread about the disease with more "hate" posts. If you have a problem with this, PM me. Any "debate" post about policy will be deleted and the poster suspended. I'm not fond of Obama either. I just don't share the obsession of some here and sometimes, I just want to read something not cluttered up with O/C...
Earle, does this mean I get (partial) credit as a thread starter for this one?

(Sorry to clogging up the other Ebola thread).

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

I think the tread title is incorrect. Should be: Obama is bringing Ebola to the USA on purpose so he can rule us as a dictator forever.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010

I would prefer "Obama is not keeping his oath to serve and protect the people of The United States and The Constitution." By refusing to prohibit travel from countries ravaged by the terrible Ebola outbreak and leaving our borders wide open to illegal immigration, he is endangering the lives of our citizens. Why? I'll leave that up to you to decide. For me, it doesn't matter why. It only matters that he is doing this and should be stopped.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I would prefer "Obama is not keeping his oath to serve and protect the people of The United States and The Constitution." By refusing to prohibit travel from countries ravaged by the terrible Ebola outbreak and leaving our borders wide open to illegal immigration, he is endangering the lives of our citizens. Why? I'll leave that up to you to decide. For me, it doesn't matter why. It only matters that he is doing this and should be stopped.
You know, until a few days ago, I would have been in your corner solidly. However, I heard a interview with a recognized epidemiologist (I don't remember his credentials). He said that effectively quarantining - trying to keep them in and sending no help in - the affected countries would have the opposite result of what the calculation might show. He basically said that these nations governance is so shaky and weak, especially Liberia, that what would happen would be that society would totally break down entirely into anarchy. He said that the next thing to happen would be that people would simply flee, crossing borders into neighboring nations where conditions were perceived to be better, much as people did during the Black Death. He said that, finally, what would result would be a world-wide pandemic of Ebola, which couldn't be confined to Africa nor kept out of America. I'll confess that I've been thinking hard about his thoughts ever since hearing them...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

You know, until a few days ago, I would have been in your corner solidly. However, I heard a interview with a recognized epidemiologist (I don't remember his credentials). He said that effectively quarantining - trying to keep them in and sending no help in - the affected countries would have the opposite result of what the calculation might show. He basically said that these nations governance is so shaky and weak, especially Liberia, that what would happen would be that society would totally break down entirely into anarchy. He said that the next thing to happen would be that people would simply flee, crossing borders into neighboring nations where conditions were perceived to be better, much as people did during the Black Death. He said that, finally, what would result would be a world-wide pandemic of Ebola, which couldn't be confined to Africa nor kept out of America. I'll confess that I've been thinking hard about his thoughts ever since hearing them...
Every bit of this is correct, but a few points:

150 people/day from affected countries enter the US. I don't think this number will have that great an impact. Expand that to all countries isolating these nations and the point is well taken.

Even if travel is curtailed that says nothing about sending help, which is being conflated by that gentleman's remarks even though it is a separate issue.

I don't see all these governments withstanding these events anyway. At least one will fall within 2 years.

Nothing says we can't effectively screen and quarantine, yet nothing was being done here until a few days ago, and what is being done is inadequate, IMHO.

ETA: He is presenting a false dichotomy/false choice. It's not an either/or neither/nor situation. We can pick and choose rationally to effectively handle the situation.

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

I think the tread title is incorrect. Should be: Obama is bringing Ebola to the USA on purpose so he can rule us as a dictator forever.
Looks like he's preparing to cleanse the South of all his enemies...oops, I meant all the vile racists.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Every bit of this is correct, but a few points:

150 people/day from affected countries enter the US. I don't think this number will have that great an impact. Expand that to all countries isolating these nations and the point is well taken.

Even if travel is curtailed that says nothing about sending help, which is being conflated by that gentleman's remarks even though it is a separate issue.

I don't see all these governments withstanding these events anyway. At least one will fall within 2 years.

Nothing says we can't effectively screen and quarantine, yet nothing was being done here until a few days ago, and what is being done is inadequate, IMHO.

ETA: He is presenting a false dichotomy/false choice. It's not an either/or neither/nor situation. We can pick and choose rationally to effectively handle the situation.
To be fair to him, he was given a black or white choice - total sequestration or let the current situation stand as is. He wasn't given the choice of a hybrid situation. Also, I didn't have the time to listen to the whole interview, so it's possible that more nuances were introduced. I'll see if I can look it up...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003

To be fair to him, he was given a black or white choice - total sequestration or let the current situation stand as is. He wasn't given the choice of a hybrid situation. Also, I didn't have the time to listen to the whole interview, so it's possible that more nuances were introduced. I'll see if I can look it up...
Thing is I heard Dr Frieden (CDC chief) parrot the same exact message and even when given opportunity to introduce nuance failed to do so. He "instinctively" just trumpeted out the same lines over and over. This was before the meeting that led to the airport screenings being announced on Monday (or whatever day it was).

And my problem with that is that those statements do nothing to relieve concern here. His mannerisms also trumpeted that all-too-familiar air of "You simpletons just wouldn't understand". The choices were all bundled together and made to be all or nothing, this or that, black and white - no grey.

And where is the Surgeon General in all this?

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA

What I find stunningly stupid given today's events is the CDC guy's insistence on the narrative. It MUST be a breach in protocol.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Thing is I heard Dr Frieden (CDC chief) parrot the same exact message and even when given opportunity to introduce nuance failed to do so. He "instinctively" just trumpeted out the same lines over and over. This was before the meeting that led to the airport screenings being announced on Monday (or whatever day it was).

And my problem with that is that those statements do nothing to relieve concern here. His mannerisms also trumpeted that all-too-familiar air of "You simpletons just wouldn't understand". The choices were all bundled together and made to be all or nothing, this or that, black and white - no grey.

And where is the Surgeon General in all this?
Frieden is singularly unimpressive, basically a political hack. We're carrying on a series of posts on another forum and one of the nurses is familiar with the procedures. She's basically saying that breaches in the protocol are just about impossible to prevent. For one thing, they use a lot of talcum powder which tends to float around when they're reversing procedure. The talc is contaminated and she's seen several personnel instinctively wipe their eyes after the talc settles there. Instant contamination. On the SG, I think CDC always takes precedence in the case of communicable disease...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003

Frieden is singularly unimpressive, basically a political hack. We're carrying on a series of posts on another forum and one of the nurses is familiar with the procedures. She's basically saying that breaches in the protocol are just about impossible to prevent. For one thing, they use a lot of talcum powder which tends to float around when they're reversing procedure. The talc is contaminated and she's seen several personnel instinctively wipe their eyes after the talc settles there. Instant contamination. On the SG, I think CDC always takes precedence in the case of communicable disease...
Regarding the SG, it seems that office is more conducive to educating the public and calming fears. Little to nothing is being doe on that front, effectively at least.

ETA: That's right - the protocols themselves should be examined. Everything about this should be examined. But the CDC chief just says it's a breach of protocol. He doesn't know where or how or why or when or to what extent or why but that's what it was. The nurse did something wrong. He can't fathom that it could be something else.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Regarding the SG, it seems that office is more conducive to educating the public and calming fears. Little to nothing is being doe on that front, effectively at least.

ETA: That's right - the protocols themselves should be examined. Everything about this should be examined. But the CDC chief just says it's a breach of protocol. He doesn't know where or how or why or when or to what extent or why but that's what it was. The nurse did something wrong. He can't fathom that it could be something else.
IDK. I'm not sure how much good it would do at this point to detail just how difficult it is to actually follow the protocol. IOW, I'm not too sure how much he could, or should, say until they get a better handle on it. On the SG, I just don't remember anything coming out of that office regarding communicable diseases. I've always just considered it a bully pulpit more than anything else. I don't even know how large a staff he/she has. The last one I even remember seeing on TV was Koop. (And he may have been pushing reverse mortagages.) :D

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003

IDK. I'm not sure how much good it would do at this point to detail just how difficult it is to actually follow the protocol. IOW, I'm not too sure how much he could, or should, say until they get a better handle on it. On the SG, I just don't remember anything coming out of that office regarding communicable diseases. I've always just considered it a bully pulpit more than anything else. I don't even know how large a staff he/she has. The last one I even remember seeing on TV was Koop. (And he may have been pushing reverse mortagages.) :D
http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/about/index.html

About the Office of the Surgeon General

As the Nation’s Doctor, the Surgeon General provides Americans with the best scientific information available on how to improve their health and reduce the risk of illness and injury. In 2010, the Affordable Care Act designated the Surgeon General as the Chair of the newly formed National Prevention Council, which provides coordination and leadership among 20 executive departments with respect to prevention, wellness, and health promotion activities.
The Surgeon General oversees the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps (USPHS), an elite group of more than 6,800 uniformed officer public health professionals working throughout the Federal government whose mission is to protect, promote, and advance the health of our Nation. Additionally, the Office of the Surgeon General is the headquarters for the Civilian VolunteerMedical Reserve Corps, a national network of more than 200,000 volunteers committed to improving the public health, emergency response, and resiliency of their communities.
The Surgeon General is nominated by the President of the United States with advice and consent of the United States Senate for a four-year term of office. The Office of the Surgeon General is part of the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health in the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
Rear Admiral Boris D. Lushniak, MD, MPH serves as Acting Surgeon General, and Rear Admiral Scott F. Giberson, BSPharm, MPH serves as Acting Deputy Surgeon General.
Ebola is a huge public health issue. The public is scared. The CDC should be focused on the leg work now while the SG should be getting in front of the public wave of ignorance and fear. Knowledge dispels a lot of ignorance and fear in one swoop. It would also let the CDC focus on their job, which they are struggling to perform.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/about/index.html

Ebola is a huge public health issue. The public is scared. The CDC should be focused on the leg work now while the SG should be getting in front of the public wave of ignorance and fear. Knowledge dispels a lot of ignorance and fear in one swoop. It would also let the CDC focus on their job, which they are struggling to perform.
Yes, but does the SG really know enough about the virus, transmission and the like to be able to truthfully calm the public? I'm afraid I don't really think so at this point. BTW, I like the way this thread is focusing attention on the interplay of government action on the crisis, while the other thread discusses the technical aspects. I'm afraid we'll just have to agree to disagree on the SG. I just don't see a useful role for that office at this point. In fact, I don't think they would have any knowledge to impart, which didn't come from CDC originally. I suppose the SG might make a better spokesperson, since Frieden is a disaster. They should have kept Besser as Director while they had him. He's far smoother than Friedan, not to mention smarter as well. He's already been to the disease zone twice. Has Friedan been once?

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/17bf...f5a/spain-6-madrid-hospital-ebola-observation
The fleet of planes that landed outside the Liberian capital of Monrovia consisted of four MV-22 Ospreys and two KC-130s. The 100 additional Marines bring to just over 300 the total number of American troops in the country, said Maj. Gen. Darryl A. Williams, the commander leading the U.S. response.

As vehicles unloaded boxes of equipment wrapped in green-and-black cloth, the Marines formed a line on the tarmac and had their temperatures checked by Liberian health workers.
Unbelievable. Western healthcare workers can't seem to not get Ebola, and U.S. Marines are getting checked by Liberians?

I will certainly blame our government if any of these Marines get Ebola.

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003

Yes, but does the SG really know enough about the virus, transmission and the like to be able to truthfully calm the public? I'm afraid I don't really think so at this point. BTW, I like the way this thread is focusing attention on the interplay of government action on the crisis, while the other thread discusses the technical aspects. I'm afraid we'll just have to agree to disagree on the SG. I just don't see a useful role for that office at this point. In fact, I don't think they would have any knowledge to impart, which didn't come from CDC originally. I suppose the SG might make a better spokesperson, since Frieden is a disaster. They should have kept Besser as Director while they had him. He's far smoother than Friedan, not to mention smarter as well. He's already been to the disease zone twice. Has Friedan been once?
It would appear he has.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/09/02/ebola-outbreak-out-control-says-cdc-director/

That's exactly the point I so not eloquently was trying to make: Let the SG take the spokesperson role like Coop with AIDS.

I also believe the CDC and others are being too cavalier about the whole affair. There is still much we don't know about Ebola. Still, we do know it IS possible it is spread via large droplets, more likely later in the disease. We know it's possible that it can be aerosolized during procedures and the CDC recommends against certain procedures because of that. Yet, while coughs aerosolize our respiratory secretions and Ebola is known to be more likely to inhabit these fluids late in the disease process, nothing is being done to address this very well and the point of emphasis is that it is not likely to happen instead of that it can under certain conditions. This puts health care workers at unnecessary risk and erodes trust.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Re: If Ebola comes to America, it's the government's fault...

Does it really matter who associated with The Obama Administration takes the lead on public information? They have a track record of lying to the American people about most everything, including our healthcare and insurance. Why should the public believe anything they say when they arrogantly display their contempt for questions? Media members who question POTUS are outcast and not allowed access in future pressers.
Experts are supposed to answer questions about public safety in enough detail to instill confidence. They have not and the statements surrounding immigration and safety procedures do not match the fact that many unknown immigrants are here and others infected with Ebola will surely be coming.
Ebola is not the only issue. American school children have been infected with the enterovirus (Honduran Flu) and they refuse to admit the truth in that.
Again, politics is trumping the safety of our people.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.