****Bama vs. Hogs Postgame Headache Thread****

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
This is going to be a tough season, but Bama will be back. The foundation is there for next season to be really good. I guess Bama had to have a down season eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We will win out this season. The talent is there. We need to just infuse the team with confidence. C. Jones was one of the most confident players we had. These guys just need to get their swagger back. More than anything be loose and have fun. I believe our defense is better now, when we rushed with only 4, we seemed to do better and still got some pressure. We need a little help but everything is still in front of us. The team is playing hard now they just need to have fun doing it. Mark my words we will not lose another game in the regular season including Auburn.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
We will win out this season. The talent is there. We need to just infuse the team with confidence. C. Jones was one of the most confident players we had. These guys just need to get their swagger back. More than anything be loose and have fun. I believe our defense is better now, when we rushed with only 4, we seemed to do better and still got some pressure. We need a little help but everything is still in front of us. The team is playing hard now they just need to have fun doing it. Mark my words we will not lose another game in the regular season including Auburn.
We do have the potential to run the table...but the OL has to step up. I will add that when we dropped 7 and rushed 4, not only did we get to the QB, but our pass defense was much better. All our gambling/blitzing did was give them opportunities for a big play. CNS is known for his blitzing on 3rd and long...works when you have 4 AA dbs...not when you have mere mortals. Arky was ready for the blitzes...countered them to a t. Most of their passing yards came on those type of plays.
OTOH, we set offensive football back a few years...but at least we are not PSU-UM -- playing the role of "Mr. Insignificant." Sad.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
So what is wrong with Jones this year? Maybe all mental? He has dropped some passes on offense as well as the mess on ST. Crazy to think that he was so poised to come in as a freshman in the championship game after Maze was hurt.

Just not like him to not have good hands.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Today our Defense shut down the Hogs running game, we were vulnerable to passes in the middle of the field for 2-3 quarters, then Arkansas tried to win by passing. We owned them to the end of the game.
Sure were some disappointed announcers... :)

While our Special Teams were atrocious, they also were the difference in the game. Ironic huh?
(It's time for a change in this area)

Blake Sims had problems, but sometimes looked good. We need him out of the pocket. He's not a good pocket passer against SEC caliber Defenses. Too many tall guys to slap the ball back in his face.

The injury to our Center contributed to our poor running game. No Push... Next to nothing in the middle of the field.
Big Henry continues to try to bounce running plays to the outside, and continues to not succeed.
Someone needs to tell him we need North South running out of him.

We have a very good Punter.
BUT... I have little confidence in our Field Goal non kicker. We would do better to fake it and let Alex try a pass...

LASTLY... When we receive a Punt, we go brain dead and do stupid things. NUFF SAID.
We won yesterday inspite of ourselves.

jcabama

1st Team
Jul 19, 2004
Bonaire GA
Seems to me we are getting worse as the season goes on.

A little of that is obviously a step up in the competition but I do remember saying to my poor television on a couple of occasions that I felt some of our players had their heads in positions that are generally considered to be anatomically impossible to achieve. Glad to get the W but other than our D's improvement, I don't think this team knows who they are.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Henry is not playing to his build. There is a word I am thinking of but won't mention it here. He seems to lack that explosive first step to attack the hole. This guy should be punishing people.

Crimson Speed

All-American
Oct 2, 2005
The Shoals, North West Alabama
I don't know how a team can play so poorly and still manage a win. Offensively, we were offensive. Thank goodness the defense seems to be maturing. Holding a team to only 13 points will give any team a good chance of winning the game. But, we stumbled and staggered all day on offense. Our offense seems to lack the coordination they need to step up to the next level. This has to change or we will, as others have stated, drop at least two more games this season. However, all is not lost. We still have time to gel and get this thing straightened out. I realize the offensive line did a poor job in protecting Sims, but much of the poor play points directly to him or play calling, perhaps both. As poorly as Sims played, he was, on several plays, very lucky that several of those erratic passes were not intercepted. Some were thrown right in the bread basket of the defenders and they dropped them. That will not be the case when playing against MS State. Still, we are committed to Sims at this point and maybe he will make the adjustments in his game play. My fear is that Sim's weaknesses were exposed and the remaining teams now have a blue print to follow.
I wish we could be in a position to see what Coker can do in real game situations. Looking at the future games, the only chance for him to see significant playing opportunity is with Tennessee and Western Carolina. Maybe we can get enough scoring space to allow us to see what he really brings to the table. If we don't beat Texas A&M, any hope for reaching the SECCG is gone, so the opportunity for Coker to play might open up (not that I want to drop any more games). Realizing that Sims has paid his dues, waiting years for the opportunity to be a starter, the foremost issue still has to be about winning. But,
we also must be looking ahead preparing for those tough games ahead, including next year.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
We do have the potential to run the table...but the OL has to step up. I will add that when we dropped 7 and rushed 4, not only did we get to the QB, but our pass defense was much better. All our gambling/blitzing did was give them opportunities for a big play. CNS is known for his blitzing on 3rd and long...works when you have 4 AA dbs...not when you have mere mortals. Arky was ready for the blitzes...countered them to a t. Most of their passing yards came on those type of plays.
OTOH, we set offensive football back a few years...but at least we are not PSU-UM -- playing the role of "Mr. Insignificant." Sad.
Glad someone else noticed this too. The Arky qb was incapable of winning the game, and given our secondary there was no logic in all the 3rd & long blitzing in the 1st 3 qtrs. it left receivers wide open and kept drives moving. Once coaches stopped that nonsense the D completely shot down the hogs.

jcabama

1st Team
Jul 19, 2004
Bonaire GA
Actually, I can really excuse some confusion on the defensive end rather than on the offensive end, where we should know what we're doing and be in charge. That wasn't true tonight. At times, it looked like a HS game, and not good teams at that, with Kiffin and Blake carrying on animated conferences at the sideline while the clock clicked down. We looked like anything but a disciplined FB team...
After watching Blake's interview where he extolled his leadership but remembering just what you point out above, it reminded me of the saying "whistling past the graveyard". Kiffin is doing his best to calm Blake down but he seems to be easily swept up in the moment. I don't know that a QB change would help but poise from the QB goes a long way towards settling everyone in the huddle down--e.g. McElroy at AU on the last drive. If JC has that quiet poise it might be an offset for his lack of knowledge of the system and the step down in mobility that is given up w/o BS.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Who would have ever thought that the Egg Bowl would have national championship consequences? I don't think I would have ever seen that in my life time.
I remember some guy on the radio before the season started who insisted the Egg Bowl would be a big deal this year...I figured he was just nuts.

bradley30

1st Team
Sep 9, 2009
Oxford, AL
So what is wrong with Jones this year? Maybe all mental? He has dropped some passes on offense as well as the mess on ST. Crazy to think that he was so poised to come in as a freshman in the championship game after Maze was hurt.

Just not like him to not have good hands.

It's probably a woman.
;) on TideFans.com

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
The Florida game is looking like fools gold as far as the offense and Blake Sims.

He does some things well, but he looks really limited in the variety of passes he can throw well.
Defensive coordinators now have plenty of game film to study what his weaknesses are.

I have not read all of the replies in this thread, so maybe these points have been brought up by people smarter than me, but it seems that that the problems I saw in the first game are still there.
Sims does not have a strong arm. After 15 yards his ball is inconsistent. If you notice we have receivers waiting on a thrown ball. Defensive coordinators see this and have adjusted according to this. They are bringing everyone up close which means our vaulted running backs are spinning their wheels.
Our offensive line has been that....offensive. Way too many line penalties. It seems that we are loading up on recruiters, not coaches. CLK has been hit and miss so far.
Our defense has been very good, but our secondary is still a weak link.
We have to, as a fan base and as a team have to stop thinking national championship or bust every year, because after that first rare loss (maybe) every season causes zero motivation afterwards.
I love Alabama, I love Alabama football, and think that this is all a bump in the road of more championships. Always proud of the young men

jcabama

1st Team
Jul 19, 2004
Bonaire GA
And speaking of punts & I sorry if this was discussed earlier in the thread, cause I haven't read every post in this thread, but, late in the game when Arkansas punted the ball & the ball hit the ground & bounce off a Hawg Player..And rolled back a good 15-20yrds that pinned up fairly deep..Did any of y'all see that as well or was my "Crimson Colored" glasses cause an infringement of my eyesight when the ball bounced off The Hawg Player..I thought the refs gave us the shaft on that spot & they didn't even allow the refs to review it in the press box..
I think if you watch the replay you'll see they got it right before resuming play but the announcers didn't catch it.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't mean to pile on, just hadn't read the other replies.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.