****Bama vs. Hogs Postgame Headache Thread****

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think that's an excellent point. For me, Gene Stallings was really my introduction to Alabama football, up until that point I'd never played myself, didn't even know the rules, and it was just a thing my dad watched. I immediately became spoiled and decided that Alabama's rightful place was at #1 and anything that happened to prevent that was a problem. Even Gene Stallings couldn't meet my expectations.

I was humbled by the years since, and grew to fondly remember those Stallings years. That isn't to say a coach gets my undying loyalty, I always doubted Shula, with the exception of a few quarters. The difference is, he'd never proven himself, he had gave me nothing to put faith in, I couldn't just say he knew what he was doing and assume things would get better. In this situation, we have ever reason to believe Saban and his highly qualified staff knows what they are doing. So, I believe things will get better, if not this year then in the relatively near future. They've earned my confidence, this isn't at all like the situations we saw between Stallings and Saban.
That's kind of the point. He did it at LSU, he's done it here - give him a break people.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
This is going to be a tough season, but Bama will be back. The foundation is there for next season to be really good. I guess Bama had to have a down season eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamaltc

Scout Team
Dec 8, 2010
Florence, AL
After cooling off after our sloppy win..And watching Ole Miss shut out the vaunted Aggie Offense, I've come to the conclusion, The SEC is actually better this year than we're getting credit for from the media..We know The Aggies offense has a really good offense & yet they're being shut down by The Reb's D..The same D we put 17pts on & was in the game to the bitter end..

I know we have major problems to correct, but, we're also a better offense & team than even us Bame Fans realize..The SEC is a brutal conference that devours even our best teams every year..I have faith our Coaching Staff will correct what needs to be corrected..And wwill have a more than respectable year when it's all said n done..Just have faith in Coach Saban & his Coaching Staff..And especially have faith in our Boys..Cause I have that feeling we're going to laugh at ourselves over this game & say that we all knew wew were as good as we're going to be at the end of the year..
I agree with this. The old saying "a rising tide lifts all ships" (no pun intended) is true. Gary Danielson made the comment that Bama's success over the past 5 years has forced EVERY team in the SEC West to get appreciably better, and now we are seeing that this is true. Sure, we need to eliminate some of the crazy mistakes, but I don't think we're as bad as some on here might think and everybody else in our division has taken some serious steps forward to try to match our success. Simply put, the road to a championship is tougher than it was 5 years ago.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I know we have inexperience in key positions. But I think Christion Jones's play is a microcosm of what is ailing this team. I simply can't explain how bad he has played this year - a 4th year senior who decided to come back and improve his draft stock. But we have 3 or 4 players on this team that have become real liabilities mentally.

I think the over emphasis on Cooper has really hurt the chemistry offensively. It's obvious when teams became intent on taking him away that we haven't spent time working on other options. Something happened offensively during the 2 weeks leading up to last week.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Yup..Surely we have a Player on the team other that Christion..I'd just assume we not even put a returnman back if he's all we have to return kicks..I hate to come down on any one player, but, I literally close my eye's when he's fielding a punt..After keeping up with recruiting pretty closely since Coach Saban has been here, many of these WR's & Db's stud recruits we have on the team, also handled punt & kick-off return duties..As a matter of fact..One of the best returners I've seen with my very own eye's, when his high school team, played against my old high school team a couple years ago was ArDarius Stewart..Maybe it's time to see what he or other young studs that isn't getting much playing time can do returning kicks..Anthony Averett & Jabriel Washington are both a couple speedsters I remember seeing videos of them tearing it up with big returns in high school..I don't think it would hurt to rotate other speedsters in until we find out return man..JMO
I know we have inexperience in key positions. But I think Christion Jones's play is a microcosm of what is ailing this team. I simply can't explain how bad he has played this year - a 4th year senior who decided to come back and improve his draft stock. But we have 3 or 4 players on this team that have become real liabilities mentally.

I think the over emphasis on Cooper has really hurt the chemistry offensively. It's obvious when teams became intent on taking him away that we haven't spent time working on other options. Something happened offensively during the 2 weeks leading up to last week.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
And speaking of punts & I sorry if this was discussed earlier in the thread, cause I haven't read every post in this thread, but, late in the game when Arkansas punted the ball & the ball hit the ground & bounce off a Hawg Player..And rolled back a good 15-20yrds that pinned up fairly deep..Did any of y'all see that as well or was my "Crimson Colored" glasses cause an infringement of my eyesight when the ball bounced off The Hawg Player..I thought the refs gave us the shaft on that spot & they didn't even allow the refs to review it in the press box..

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
It feels like a rebuilding year is upon us, which is understandable. What is harder to understand is the heavy dose of mental mistakes, but I guess that goes with rebuilding.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
...there is no hiding the fact that our offensive problems revolve around the QB position. ARK tonight decided that they were going to practically ignore the QB and send their safeties and sometimes even corners. Our OL didn't play terribly tonight. They just were trying to block too many with too few. That never is pretty. They did a good job of taking away Blake's short stuff and they simply disrespected his ability to throw long. It paid off for them big time, even if it didn't win the game. Starting next week, Blake will have to prove himself all over again as a long-ball passer. We'll get more feedback from the people who could attend, but I find it hard to believe that we had no receivers open at all downfield...
Pretty close to 100% unadulturated truth - plus Sims (over)throws poorly on the move, and early game conditions exacerbated his flaws at the QB position. With 9-10 men (even peripherally) in the box, 'Bama's run game turns to dust. That doesn't exculpate the OL from movement penalties or not getting a push against what's in front of them, but as Earle noted, too few against too many. Another consideration is all the hoopla on Arky's end in Fayetteville and more than that the "H*ll hath no fury like a prospect scorned" emotional factor - and who were the 'Hogs most dominant defenders? Trey Flowers (great player) and Darius Philon (who put on the 'Bama hat at his "signing" but had it pulled off from "above" if y'all recall). It's still within the 24-hour window stipulated by Saban, so let's reflect that this game - a win as I recollect - offers an extraordinary opportunity to surmount the adversity that marks a champion. And a fourth-quarter 'Bama comeback - couldn't care if it's against the Little Sisters of the Porcine - builds character...and championships. If the sky's really falling, the 'Bama defense just may be there to stop it!...

Last edited:

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
And speaking of punts & I sorry if this was discussed earlier in the thread, cause I haven't read every post in this thread, but, late in the game when Arkansas punted the ball & the ball hit the ground & bounce off a Hawg Player..And rolled back a good 15-20yrds that pinned up fairly deep..Did any of y'all see that as well or was my "Crimson Colored" glasses cause an infringement of my eyesight when the ball bounced off The Hawg Player..I thought the refs gave us the shaft on that spot & they didn't even allow the refs to review it in the press box..
The ref first marked the ball back around the 20 but he was pointing toward where the Ark player first touched itAnd ten we went to a commercial break. When TV came back, they had actually moved the ball up to the spot where it was touched and that is where we started play from - about the 36. They got it right.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
The refs moved the ball back to the spot where the first Hog player touched it.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
How quickly we forget the MSU and ULM games in '07. But, yes, this looks like we're literally starting the process all over. From scratch.
That was fun....not saying I enjoyed the hard times, but dadgum...that turn around was FUN!!

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
The ref first marked the ball back around the 20 but he was pointing toward where the Ark player first touched itAnd ten we went to a commercial break. When TV came back, they had actually moved the ball up to the spot where it was touched and that is where we started play from - about the 36. They got it right.

Thanks, I didn't see them move it up. I was wondering why we didn't challenge it.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I just think our players are under so much pressure to win, they aren't allowed to have fun. I know this will never happen, but imagine how our players would respond if Saban had a celebration/party waiting for them back in T-town. We won an SEC road game and we are still in the SEC title hunt. Let the players enjoy it for once.
My 84 year old Mom basically said the same thing. "He's got to take the reins of those boys and let them play football. They have to think so much and they're under so much pressure that I don't see how they beat anybody".
Not a bad observation actually.
I agree with you though..these kids need a big shot of "lighten up".
sip

BamaCJK

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 8, 2007
Reggie Ragland really stepped up last night. He seems to be coming in to is own. He is looking more like a leader every game.

64met

All-American
Oct 12, 2007
I am no expert, but this team has zero identity. The inability to focus and commit the same mistakes week after week is painful to watch. Glad we won, but things need to change and quickly or A&M and UT are toss-ups IMO. RTR!

Love the Ping

All-SEC
Jun 15, 2005
Ugly win, but as I was watching last night, I had very little confidence that we were going to win at all. I take it for what it is and move on. I suspect we'll see a different team next week, back at home against A&M.

Positive note ---> The run defense and punting was spectacular.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
This is going to be a tough season, but Bama will be back. The foundation is there for next season to be really good. I guess Bama had to have a down season eventually.

Strange that a 9-10 win season, if that is all this team wins, is considered a down season. But that is the monster Nick has created. I guess the bad part really is the way they are playing. You can see the talent, and it's easy to blame the QB, but the problems go deeper. Limiting mistakes have been a staple of Nick's teams. This team keeps a .45 pointed at its foot the whole game. It's not if, but when the mistakes will happen. The offense has looked terrible since the bye week. I know Blake doesn't have a real strong arm, but it really makes me wonder if his arm is injured still. Given they have kept QB shoulder injuries quiet in previous years only fuels that speculation. I do know the QB situation is lending itself to the identity problem on offense. 6 games, 6 different offensive identities. Now we can't run or throw. And it's not just the QB. TJ hasn't ran with authority since his freshman year. Makes me wonder if fumblitis hasn't gotten inside his head , he doesn't run natural anymore. I know we have Oline woes, but they play good in spurts. We really do miss Ryan.
Strange to hear this from Bama fans, but wait til Next year. We will lose a few players , but the defense will be nasty, salty in your face good.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.