****Bama vs. Hogs Postgame Headache Thread****

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Bringing in Coker tonight would probably have caused a loss. However, there is no hiding the fact that our offensive problems revolve around the QB position. ARK tonight decided that they were going to practically ignore the QB and send their safeties and sometimes even corners. Our OL didn't play terribly tonight. They just were trying to block too many with too few. That never is pretty. They did a good job of taking away Blake's short stuff and they simply disrespected his ability to throw long. It paid off for them big time, even if it didn't win the game. Starting next week, Blake will have to prove himself all over again as a long-ball passer. We'll get more feedback from the people who could attend, but I find it hard to believe that we had no receivers open at all downfield. It'll be interesting to hear what they saw. On defense, I said it during the game thread. We just look a step slow and big for the direction the game has moved. It'll be interesting to see what the coaches can do with this team...
the linemen just aren't athletic enough for pursuit against today's qb's.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Let's judge OM and State next year when they both lose half their teams to NFL early entry and seniors leaving. I guarantee you they won't both be in the top 5 again next year. Bama has been doing this since 2008 while winning 3 NC in 5 years. Not taking anything away from either team. Just saying you can't be the best every year. Both will take big steps back next year..

Bluegrasstide

1st Team
Oct 31, 2010
Pikeville KY
Bringing in Coker tonight would probably have caused a loss. However, there is no hiding the fact that our offensive problems revolve around the QB position. ARK tonight decided that they were going to practically ignore the QB and send their safeties and sometimes even corners. Our OL didn't play terribly tonight. They just were trying to block too many with too few. That never is pretty. They did a good job of taking away Blake's short stuff and they simply disrespected his ability to throw long. It paid off for them big time, even if it didn't win the game. Starting next week, Blake will have to prove himself all over again as a long-ball passer. We'll get more feedback from the people who could attend, but I find it hard to believe that we had no receivers open at all downfield. It'll be interesting to hear what they saw. On defense, I said it during the game thread. We just look a step slow and big for the direction the game has moved. It'll be interesting to see what the coaches can do with this team...
I agree with everything you said. However, I would also add that we look a bit confused on D at times, especially in the secondary.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I would like to point out that this was the first 1 point win Alabama has had since the 2001 season vs Iowa State in the Independence Bowl with Coach Fran.

BadgerTidefan

1st Team
Dec 2, 2006
Jennings, FL
Right after the second half started I was for giving Coker a try because Sims was not being effective. Once we started moving the ball it turned out ok. But.....I do think there are times when a change in QB is at least worth a try whether any of us think it will make a difference or not. You can't really know for certain until it's tried, sometimes a little change provides a spark, granted our problems tonight were much deeper than one position. I just think if something's not working you do what you can to win, maybe it works, maybe not. If not in this situation , then when is it called for? I don't think it should be only if Blake is injured , but when it make help the team breakout of a lull.
One poster alluded to something bothering me too, there seems to be a real problem with the entire team, they seem just off in some way, not involved, not fired up. In other threads Krazy has talked about experience level and he's right, but tonight we went beyond that and had seniors making freshman type mistakes. Someone said maybe it's just not fun for the players, maybe true, but I would bet that's true in most programs to some extent at least. I don't want to speculate as to what it is (there's plenty of consternation on the board already) but something seems off with the teams mental aspect of the game. That said we're also probably just not as good as many of us had hoped this year.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Product of some of our own success. We recruit well, but believe it or not, it is not easy to reload. We lose some great players to the NFL, those that are left are the ones that didn't quite pan out (4th and 5th yr seniors not quite good enough to make the NFL), young players, and a couple of stars. Ask LSU, they'll tell you all about it
Can't buy that alone as an excuse for how bad the offense and special teams are performing.

Our staff should be able to take Vanderbilt's special teams and offensive players and do better than we have the last couple of games. Yet, we have the #1 or so rated recruiting classes the last 5 years and we are now back to the 2007 level?

Last edited:

Bamafan P.T.

All-SEC
Oct 15, 2005
Tuscaloosa
Something really strange going on with this team. That brought back some really bad memories from the DuBose era teams going up to Fayetteville and looking like a deer in headlights. But we won.

They just don't look like they're having much fun.. like they are wound way too tight. And then there is a lack of focus that is an epidemic at this point.
I tend to agree. And for all the talk about the rough ride on the plane...don't u guys think they heard it all week leading up to this game? And what was the result? We looked even worse.
I'm just afraid there aren't enough guys buying in to what coach is selling now. So many stupid mistakes, things you know have to be getting harped on in practice. Hard to watch and even harder to understand what's going on

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'll take the win, but I still feel like a lot of the issues on offense resolve around the injuries. Drake was a guy Sims was going to, even back in the scrimmages. He was a deep threat, I mean he was Alabama's second leading receiver and there's no other RB you can plug in that can run routes like he could. With the way Cooper is being covered, and Sims still developing, I think missing out on a primary target is a huge factor.

Beyond that though, Alabama's running game looks a lot worse since the center went out. That game and this one, and I'm still seeing low snaps and the like. It's a disruption that I'm not sure Alabama's offense could afford before things really gelled.

I think Alabama is kind of in survival mode, things can get better once they get more experience and if they get healthier, but for now it's just find a way to win.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I agree with everything you said. However, I would also add that we look a bit confused on D at times, especially in the secondary.
Actually, I can really excuse some confusion on the defensive end rather than on the offensive end, where we should know what we're doing and be in charge. That wasn't true tonight. At times, it looked like a HS game, and not good teams at that, with Kiffin and Blake carrying on animated conferences at the sideline while the clock clicked down. We looked like anything but a disciplined FB team...

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
the linemen just aren't athletic enough for pursuit against today's qb's.
Oh my lord how did that Arky QB dance around our blue chip D linemen like they were standing still? Not since Kenny King and Kindal Moorhead have I seen anyone running around in the backfield.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.