JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Arkansas Wrap-Up: Nice to get a win, but Bama has issues
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
October 11th, 2014 09:38 PM

It is the height of irony that the principal reason for Alabama scoring more points than Arkansas Saturday came as a result of a special teams play on the part of the Crimson Tide. A’Shawn Robinson and Jonathan Allen have been crushing opponents’ field goal and […]

Read More Here

Last edited by a moderator:

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
Thank you for the assessment. The defense does provide a silver lining for this game in spite of troubles elsewhere. The main thing is that we still remain in contention for the playoff. We just have a TON of work to do if we want to keep it that way.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
A win is a win, but I am seriously thinking about sending my cardiology bills to Bobby Williams.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Nobody will want to hear it but its time, past time, to see what Coker has.
I don't think Blake is that much of the problem. And what he does have (the ability to get out of trouble) is one of the few things that allows Alabama to put up with the kind of OL play it got today. Not to mention he's the unquestioned leader of the offense. You take the team leader off the field when it's probably not his fault for the struggles anyway and you risk losing the team.

I doubt Coker starts in 2014 unless Sims is hurt, or unless he goes into a very obvious tailspin. His numbers from last week were very close to Wallace's, and today he ended up with no turnovers, a much better QB rating than Allen and a couple of touchdown throws, the second of which was all him for reading a defensive breakdown (hence why Bielema was at the numbers trying to call a TO).

I keep sending people back to the middle of the 2009 season to look at Greg McElroy's numbers, which were horrid for the 3-4 games preceding LSU. We had people calling for Star Jackson to see what he had. Then he transfers to Georgia State and can't rise above third team. Pulling Sims at this point is a real panic-button move, one you don't make with a 5-1 record.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I don't think Blake is that much of the problem. And what he does have (the ability to get out of trouble) is one of the few things that allows Alabama to put up with the kind of OL play it got today. Not to mention he's the unquestioned leader of the offense. You take the team leader off the field when it's probably not his fault for the struggles anyway and you risk losing the team.

I doubt Coker starts in 2014 unless Sims is hurt, or unless he goes into a very obvious tailspin. His numbers from last week were very close to Wallace's, and today he ended up with no turnovers, a much better QB rating than Allen and a couple of touchdown throws, the second of which was all him for reading a defensive breakdown (hence why Bielema was at the numbers trying to call a TO).

I keep sending people back to the middle of the 2009 season to look at Greg McElroy's numbers, which were horrid for the 3-4 games preceding LSU. We had people calling for Star Jackson to see what he had. Then he transfers to Georgia State and can't rise above third team. Pulling Sims at this point is a real panic-button move, one you don't make with a 5-1 record.
I agree. Pulling Sims out is not the answer. The offensive line wasn't helping him out at all.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
On point as always, Jess.

As it relates to Blake Sims, I can't agree with you more. It seems as though we are trying to make him into something he is not; a pure pocket passer. Blake looks at though he is most comfortable in an "up tempo", quick read, get the ball out, or get on the edge offense. Putting him in the pocket and reading through multiple progression is not his strong suit. He either locks on his primary too long or forces the ball into tight windows when he gets "happy feet". There seemed to be multiple times tonight he could have run for a first down or significant yardage. It was like he was thinking too much.

I think we can do very well in the remaining games with Blake, but we have to game plan towards his strengths as you said, Jess. My father would say "You can't make a silk purse out of a pig's ear, but you can make a darn good wallet."

Let Blake be a "wallet".

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
For reference: Blake's QB rating today was better than Greg's average for all of 2009.

Blake needs to play better, but people seem to remember a Greg McElroy in 2009 that didn't really exist. He played well in Auburn and in the SECCG, but had many, many subpar outings before that. If you told me that against TAMU next week I could get mid-season 2009 Greg McElroy and mid-season 2014 Blake Sims I'd pick Sims in a heartbeat.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
I think I saw some Arkansas pass completions from the formation with three receivers on one side, especially the left side. One of them crosses, gets lost, and makes the catch on the right sideline. The QB needs about 5 seconds for this to develop but it seems to happen a lot and we don't seem to have an answer for it. Gary pointed it out last week and it seems to be an exploitable weakness.

Ryan Anderson saved our bacon at least twice with special team fumble recoveries.

As things stand right now, I regret to say there could be two more losses in our future. State is playing straight up great football and might be the #1 team; the other team is just playing a little better than us at the moment. Winning those is possible. I had those games checked off as wins a month ago but no longer.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
It seems to me we have completely gotten away from the offense we ran the first 3 games which got the ball out of blakes hand quickly lessoning the impact of our less than stellar o line. Sure the level of competition has increased but still we now looked more confused and tentative.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
I especially agree with the last sentence. Stats can be very misleading. Kenny Hill finished 42-51 for 401 yards passing vs Ole Miss last night. Looks great on paper, but the game was never in question and he gave the ball away twice which directly resulted in 2 Ole Miss scores.

I fully support Blake Sims. He has been shaky at best in his two most recent outings. There was a time that JP Wilson zeroed in on Keith Brown and everyone else was invisible. And injury led to DJ Hall being the guy JP wouldn't come off of. Greg McElroy was the same with Julio Jones. AJ was the same with Marquis Maze. And Blake is definitely that way with Coop.

First time starters at the position need a security blanket. But when that blanket is blanketed with coverage (or more accurately, bracketed) you have to use the ridiculously immense talent at the other positions (a luxury that neither of Blake's aforementioned predecessors had). The irony is that spreading it around effectively will give Coop open/one on one opportunities. And these days whenever he does decide to come off of Coop, it's so late that it's mostly always in danger of being picked. He's had almost as many picks dropped this year than I can ever remember. That luck won't last. But that's easy for me to say from the comfort of this sofa.

Hopefully Blake continues to progress in a positive direction and as we've seen, he's proven to be an off the charts player in BDS.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I especially agree with the last sentence. Stats can be very misleading. Kenny Hill finished 42-51 for 401 yards passing vs Ole Miss last night. Looks great on paper, but the game was never in question and he gave the ball away twice which directly resulted in 2 Ole Miss scores.

I fully support Blake Sims. He has been shaky at best in his two most recent outings. There was a time that JP Wilson zeroed in on Keith Brown and everyone else was invisible. And injury led to DJ Hall being the guy JP wouldn't come off of. Greg McElroy was the same with Julio Jones. AJ was the same with Marquis Maze. And Blake is definitely that way with Coop.

First time starters at the position need a security blanket. But when that blanket is blanketed with coverage (or more accurately, bracketed) you have to use the ridiculously immense talent at the other positions (a luxury that neither of Blake's aforementioned predecessors had). The irony is that spreading it around effectively will give Coop open/one on one opportunities. And these days whenever he does decide to come off of Coop, it's so late that it's mostly always in danger of being picked. He's had almost as many picks dropped this year than I can ever remember. That luck won't last. But that's easy for me to say from the comfort of this sofa.

Hopefully Blake continues to progress in a positive direction and as we've seen, he's proven to be an off the charts player in BDS.
If we let him play to his skill set that will happen. I think until Ryan Kelly gets back we need to move him out
Of the pocket. Coverage will break down and he'll have two options as opposed to staring down receivers and hoping DBs keep dropping sure ints.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
Very good analysis. Agree on Sims as well. Like others observed, the obsession by Kiffin to make Sims into a pocket passer is not working. Last nite he was most effective on the run. Now how much of that is due to Sims and how much is a product of subpar OL play is hard to say.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I agree. Pulling Sims out is not the answer. The offensive line wasn't helping him out at all.
Sims is still our starter but when you have a capable backup QB and the primary one is struggling maybe we should give him a couple of possessions to see if his style may have better success.
Also, as others have said Sims needs to be turned loose to use his legs.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Sims is still our starter but when you have a capable backup QB and the primary one is struggling maybe we should give him a couple of possessions to see if his style may have better success.
Also, as others have said Sims needs to be turned loose to use his legs.
Ok the being turned loose with his legs part I agree with....

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
sorry, of course I am not a coach, but, I still think sims is not the answer for this team. no, he is not the only problem. since the fla game, I predicted once the other sec teams saw our production on all the short dump passes to cooper, they will double team cooper, and force someone else to make plays. that has happened. even our rush game was effective, because fla was busy covering the short pass game. now we have no run game, no off line. tight ends cant block, no downfield passing, we have very good receivers, but, they don't get to perform. cooper will not make it much longer with the pounding he is taking on those dump passes, and trying to get yards after the catch. I have not seen a qb in the saban era, that had to spend so much time setting up the play. total confusion in the offense. I would love to get back to the old bama offense, of kicking them in the teeth, rushing, and the periodic deep ball, or across the middle 20 yarder. a simple handoff has become a project now. the line is confused, the rbs, tight ends, receivers, and the qb. and I am so glad blake says he getting better at leading the offense now. that is why he is 5th year senior, and never played as a starter.

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
sorry, of course I am not a coach, but, I still think sims is not the answer for this team. no, he is not the only problem. since the fla game, I predicted once the other sec teams saw our production on all the short dump passes to cooper, they will double team cooper, and force someone else to make plays. that has happened. even our rush game was effective, because fla was busy covering the short pass game. now we have no run game, no off line. tight ends cant block, no downfield passing, we have very good receivers, but, they don't get to perform. cooper will not make it much longer with the pounding he is taking on those dump passes, and trying to get yards after the catch. I have not seen a qb in the saban era, that had to spend so much time setting up the play. total confusion in the offense. I would love to get back to the old bama offense, of kicking them in the teeth, rushing, and the periodic deep ball, or across the middle 20 yarder. a simple handoff has become a project now. the line is confused, the rbs, tight ends, receivers, and the qb. and I am so glad blake says he getting better at leading the offense now. that is why he is 5th year senior, and never played as a starter.
like that commercial with Heath Shular, Matt Lienart and Boz....you mean Fluker, Warmack and Jones are coming back to college? it's funny how everybody says "yea emmit smith broke the all time rushing record in the nfl, but anybody could have done that with the OLINE that emmit had..." notice one special word in there, OLINE, the offenses problems start and end with the OLINE. you could put Emmit, Walter, Jim Brown, or whoever at rb behind the oline we have right now and they would not get 100 yds a game. I'm not trying to be critical of our linemen, heck if I could do better I'd be on scholarship right now. but ask any coach, any coach at all, and to a man they will tell you the offense must have capable linemen who can run and pass block well.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
You have to win these kind of games - you can't win them all by two or three touchdowns in the SEC week in and week out, especially on the road.
All I know is, and I have said it before, the road to the playoffs (and probably the SEC West) runs through Tuscaloosa. Bama wins out, end of story, they are in. FSU is going to beat ND badly, ND will probably fall behind Bama. MSU beats Ole Miss, who still has to go to Fayetteville, and the hogs are getting better each week with no injuries.

Bigdogbama

Sep 28, 2014
You are right, we need to make a change. Sims is not losing the game, but he is not winning either. We have to score more than 14 points if we are going to beat A&M, Miss. State, an Aurburn.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.