JessN: Arkansas Wrap-Up: Nice to get a win, but Bama has issues

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
The game is won and lost on the line of scrimmage. Bama's DL dominated Arky's OL but their DL dominated our OL. I think that's why the game was so close and so schizophrenic.

Someone suggested a week ago that Brandon Greene should be in there to help with blocking and I wonder if a 2 TE set could help us with the running game and creating mismatches in the passing game either for the TE's or for our other receivers if we have some success throwing to the TE's.

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame
I think Jess is close to being on it. But look at the last two games, and a trend appears to be emerging. Alabama can't score when it needs to, and that's a departure from the last few years. I believe the offensive line issues are the key. That unit needs to gell, and do it quickly.

We've scored 17 and 14 points in the last two games. That's not gonna win the SEC West, the SEC Champoinship, or the playoffs.

The game of football is always and everywhere won on the line of scrimmage. Play-calling can help, but if your big uglies can't keep the other team's big uglies from disrupting the play, you're not gonna win consistently regardless of the "genius" calling the plays.

And I still have my doubts about the "genius" calling the plays this season.

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
The Oline is getting too much blame IMO. When a team has no respect for your QB play and has 8-9 in the box, you can't block them all.
Yes they get beat and make mistakes sometimes. Every Oline in the country does every game.

DC's have figured out a plan to limit our offense. Now it's time for us to make changes.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
The Oline is getting too much blame IMO. When a team has no respect for your QB play and has 8-9 in the box, you can't block them all.
Yes they get beat and make mistakes sometimes. Every Oline in the country does every game.

DC's have figured out a plan to limit our offense. Now it's time for us to make changes.
If you're interested, go back and look at the number of times Arkansas brought 8 or 9. It almost never happened.

Arkansas brought four, kept outside contain on the pocket, and dropped 7 into coverage more often than not. And even then the OL struggled to keep a rusher from getting through.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Sims is still our starter but when you have a capable backup QB and the primary one is struggling maybe we should give him a couple of possessions to see if his style may have better success.
Also, as others have said Sims needs to be turned loose to use his legs.

I'm not in favor of ever trying a backup QB "just to see", especially when that guy has struggled to pick up the offense.

The question is going to have to be asked whether Sims is potentially a 3- or 4-loss QB, or whether Alabama is a 3- or 4-loss TEAM. If it's the latter, pulling Sims does no good at all, as the QB probably wouldn't make a difference, and you send a message to the team that you're taking the undisputed leader of the offense off the field despite him not being the real issue. Hence, why I don't think it will happen. Especially at 5-1. Maybe once another loss or two comes in, you'll see Alabama start prepping for next year but even then, I doubt it.

My personal thoughts on the matter are that whoever got the starting job this year would be tolerated only to the point at which he first struggled. Then the floodgates of criticism would be opened.

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
I was only able to listen to the game on the radio, but does anybody think that the shoulder Blake injured against Florida may be hindering his ability to throw the ball deep?

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Again, Sims is playing well enough to win. That's not saying he's not making mistakes here and there. But he's not making as many as everybody else seems to be making. His ability to make a play with his legs is a refreshing change from McCarron immediately throwing it in the 3rd row the instant he feels pressured. This allows the offense to overcome some of the shaky oline play.

The oline misses Ryan Kelly very, very, very much. However, our offensive line doesn't run block well unless it's behind true freshman Robinson. They all play with their pads too high in the run game and generate no push or lateral displacement.

Perhaps the special teams need to spend less time on how to block PAT's (which they've obviously dedicated a significant amount of time on) and spend more time on learning how to field punts and kick field goals.

One thing I notice about our blitzes are how poorly disguised they are. If I can see it coming and where it's coming from beforehand, I know the opposing QB can too. Furthermore, it seems like when they call an overload blitz, etc.... the blitzers come in going 100 mph and completely out of control. QB's easily just use this against them because their body is under control. These inexperienced players need to understand that it's more important to come in under control than to come in 100 mph and out of control on these blitzes. That's a coaching point to me.

PDL

All-SEC
Oct 16, 2005
Birmingham, AL
One thing I'd like to see more of is the read option. It seems like we've run a successful play out of that once or twice in a few games this season, then never went back to it. Does anyone else think that would be effective for us to use more? Would it help our struggling o-line at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
If, and I believe it is playing a big part, youth/inexperience is the main culprit, then it is just as likely that CNS and the staff have done all the coaching they need to do get the players ready. But anyone that has been a coach at the high school or college/pro level will tell you that sometimes, experience is the best teacher. I have no doubt that CNS and his staff have tried to help the young defensive players disguise their blitzes better, but the coaches can't be on the field to help disguise those blitzes. I'm just using the defense as an example.

I'm taking a wait-and-see approach. Instead of jumping off the ledge because we've looked horrible the last two games and assume we will lose at least 2+ more games this season, just wait and see. Early on in the Arkansas game, there were some that simply assumed the Tide was going to lose to the Hogs. I think the team ultimately fought back to win that game. I also think it'll help a bit for the players to play A&M at home this weekend. Roll Tide everyone...

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
If, and I believe it is playing a big part, youth/inexperience is the main culprit, then it is just as likely that CNS and the staff have done all the coaching they need to do get the players ready. But anyone that has been a coach at the high school or college/pro level will tell you that sometimes, experience is the best teacher. I have no doubt that CNS and his staff have tried to help the young defensive players disguise their blitzes better, but the coaches can't be on the field to help disguise those blitzes. I'm just using the defense as an example.

I'm taking a wait-and-see approach. Instead of jumping off the ledge because we've looked horrible the last two games and assume we will lose at least 2+ more games this season, just wait and see. Early on in the Arkansas game, there were some that simply assumed the Tide was going to lose to the Hogs. I think the team ultimately fought back to win that game. I also think it'll help a bit for the players to play A&M at home this weekend. Roll Tide everyone...
This is a great statement. I know they are coaching the players the right way, but sometimes the players just don't do it right. They will though when that light turns on. Coach Saban hasn't forgotten how to coach the secondary over the last summer or two.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
This is a great statement. I know they are coaching the players the right way, but sometimes the players just don't do it right. They will though when that light turns on. Coach Saban hasn't forgotten how to coach the secondary over the last summer or two.
This is my personal example...

My experience as a high school and college runner has allowed me to learn a lot about the best training concepts and information, and I've also learned through trial-and-error of what works and doesn't work. I've found that I sometimes paralyzed some of my runners with too much information on a particular workout. I adjusted by either giving them just the most important thing to know, or I just give them the standard that must be in the workout, and just run. I didn't learn certain things as a distance runner until I actually raced even though my coach was telling me the information I raced. One of my worst habits was to keep turning my head around (especially towards the end of the race) to see who was behind me. While as a runner I thought it was a good idea, I ultimately was slowing myself down, and it also made the difference between running a personal best and not running a personal best. I eventually had to force myself to just keep running without looking behind me. Coach was always telling me to not do it, but he couldn't force me to not turn my head while I'm racing.

I say this not knowing how CNS and his staff do things. But I'm also willing to bet that CNS and his staff are trying to address the issues that the team has. It may not be addressed immediately, and it may not be addressed before the season is over (legitimately, not "over" like some are saying right now), but it'll be addressed.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
If you're interested, go back and look at the number of times Arkansas brought 8 or 9. It almost never happened.

Arkansas brought four, kept outside contain on the pocket, and dropped 7 into coverage more often than not. And even then the OL struggled to keep a rusher from getting through.
agreed - they were getting pressure pass blocking without blitzing, and their DL were getting a push into the backfield on runs. Sure they had a lot of guys in the box, but there were to many times where a DL disrupted the play before an LB or DB even got a chance to fill a hole.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
For those saying Sims is playing well enough to win...while I'm not for replacing him, just better utilizing him, I do feel the need to point out that if not for some key drops of very easy interceptions the past 2 weeks, Bama arguably loses to Arky and loses to Ole Miss by more. Sims has put the ball in danger a ton the past 2 games, and not always while under pressure. Some of those passes were inexplicably just in the wrong spot or thrown directly at a defender. I believe Sims can lead this team to SECCG, but the freshman-type mistakes need to stop.

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
For those saying Sims is playing well enough to win...while I'm not for replacing him, just better utilizing him, I do feel the need to point out that if not for some key drops of very easy interceptions the past 2 weeks, Bama arguably loses to Arky and loses to Ole Miss by more. Sims has put the ball in danger a ton the past 2 games, and not always while under pressure. Some of those passes were inexplicably just in the wrong spot or thrown directly at a defender. I believe Sims can lead this team to SECCG, but the freshman-type mistakes need to stop.

Pretty sure this was covered in the "That's not saying he's not making mistakes here and there" part...

I said to someone that the the got beat up physically and also MENTALLY against Ole Miss. We needed that win for confidence, but confidence only gets you so far. They need to start playing ball again. What better way of doing it than beating the team that cost them an undefeated season and almost cost them it all two years ago?!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.