Why are we where we are?

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
We say we have two of the best RBs in the country, but are they really ? Perhaps some of our key 5 stars, especially on offense , aren't quite as good as expected.
At this rate we won't have a 1,000 yard back for the first time since 2007. Neither RB is on pace to hit 10 TDs either.

Im just shocked at how the offense has regressed in 2 weeks. Ole Miss is understandable as they are the best D I the country and played at home. But Arkansas? How do we rush for less yards than Texas Tech?

BamaCJK

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 8, 2007
We are bad on special teams,ball security an we cant run the ball. I dont know if these things will be corrected this year. Very concerned.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
we are 6-1 and ranked #6. May not deserve that ranking, but that's where we are. Still in control of our destiny as far as playoffs go.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
Maybe we're just having a down year? Maybe all the talent we've lost over the past few years is catching up a little bit? Maybe having so many 5*s on the roster has caused some of the players we might have gotten a few years ago to go to other schools where they can get immediate playing time instead of riding the pine for a couple of years? A couple of years ago we missed out on a few QBs (who may or my not have panned out if they had come to Alabama) because we had McElroy w/McCarron waiting in the wings so they went elsewhere. I know that it's hard for us overly spoiled BAMA fans to even contemplate great players going to other schools but I'll assure you that it has happened and does happen.
Even as great a coach as Coach Bryant was even he didn't win them all and he probably would not have won as many as he did under the current 85 limit of scholarships that we have to deal with.
Does this team have issues? Sure it does. Is it the demise of Alabama football? No (see Dubose & Shula years as well as us being put on double secret probation by the NCAA).
I will agree with one thing said in this post and I've been saying it for a few years now and that is that we have to find a better tight ends and ST coach. The one we have now just ain't cutting it. However, I really don't think it would change this season too much (just my honest opinion). We just don't have it this season for whatever reason. However, I'm not ready ( as it seems that a lot of others are ) to throw the team and the coaching staff under the bus.

Last edited:

TydDFens

1st Team
Feb 5, 2011
Birmingham, AL
As far as last night - when you see things like a veteran player lunging into a group of people on a wet field to try to field a punt, the thoughts that came to my mind were:

A) This guy really qualified academically to enroll at UA?
B) Is this a drug problem?
C) Is someone taking money from a bookie to throw a game?
My only justification for it in my mind was he was trying to somehow make up for his fumble against Ole Miss and thought he could shoot through there and make a big play?????????

Love the Ping

All-SEC
Jun 15, 2005
There's no excuse for Jones trying to field that ball. In his mind, I think he was worried about it hitting one of our players (which I was as well, and those fears came to pass on the next punt) and wanted to grab it before that happened. Still a bad play.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
We're were we are today because our fans have become spoiled and apparently not as knowledgeable about football as think they are. That was the question, right?

tide power fan

All-SEC
Nov 26, 2011
Just a different spin here, what doesn't kill you will make you stronger, we need some games like this to learn how to win a close game, I know us fans want to beat the heck out of all these teams but this is football.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
Just a different spin here, what doesn't kill you will make you stronger, we need some games like this to learn how to win a close game, I know us fans want to beat the heck out of all these teams but this is football.

I agree with you 100%. 5 years from now, it will just be a W in the record book. And physically, we match up with anyone in the country. The problems with our team appear to lie squarely between the ears.

In the grand scheme of things, this is a small matter. Right now, i'm more concerned that the IMF will recognize the cash i have in the bank when our government finally succeeds in their apparent quest to completely devalue our dollar and collapse our economy.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
I honestly am curious as to how you know this. Has he ever taken a snap?
Ping - maybe he was at the same "closed" scrimmage i was at on august 16 where we got to see Cooper's arm in plenty of action. He does have a nice touch on the deep ball. But Sims was clearly the one who moved the offense down the field more fluidly that day. Bateman was 2nd though. No one else was close to the 2 of them (again - i'm just talking about that one day).

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
we are 6-1 and ranked #6. May not deserve that ranking, but that's where we are. Still in control of our destiny as far as playoffs go.
Not sure what polls you're looking at, but it's so early in the season it doesn't matter yet anyway with so many to play. But according to espn's website, we're only 5-1 and we're #7 in both the AP and Coaches updated polls.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Why are we where we are? I just don't know. I'm just happy to be alive today. Yesterday was a HEART STOPPER!

Where are we going? The NC Championship game.

How many undefeated teams are left after this weekend? Will any team be undefeated at the end of the year? If so, which team/s?

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
At this rate we won't have a 1,000 yard back for the first time since 2007. Neither RB is on pace to hit 10 TDs either.

Im just shocked at how the offense has regressed in 2 weeks. Ole Miss is understandable as they are the best D I the country and played at home. But Arkansas? How do we rush for less yards than Texas Tech?

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
You nailed it. A 5 star in high school doesn't always translate to a 5 star in college. Remember, a lot of these guys had it so easy in high school football, they aren't prepared for what awaits them on this level. Some pan out, others don't. I think we all get too glassy eyed over all the 5 star hype, when these recruiting services are mainly a bunch of overblown hype. Give me a 2 star Demeco Ryans who works his butt off every play all day long over some of the prima donnas we continue to fill our roster with.

As far as last night - when you see things like a veteran player lunging into a group of people on a wet field to try to field a punt, the thoughts that came to my mind were:

A) This guy really qualified academically to enroll at UA?
B) Is this a drug problem?
C) Is someone taking money from a bookie to throw a game?

I'm sure i'll get flamed for that, but you all know you were thinking similar thoughts. You just don't do stupid things like that. Bobby Williams obviously has incriminating photos of somebody. He should have been walking back to Tuscaloosa.

Yeah, we've got issues.
you may need to change your screen name. just saying' ;)

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
My only justification for it in my mind was he was trying to somehow make up for his fumble against Ole Miss and thought he could shoot through there and make a big play?????????
or maybe he mistakenly thought it hit one of our players, but speculation is much more fun when we can impugn one of our player's character :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.