Why are we where we are?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Guys, right now, we're not good. We're not even average. Offensively and on special teams (ex punting) we range from poor to horrendous.

I was in Fayetteville last night, and other than the run defense, which was outstanding against a team that can run on just about anybody, it looked positively DuBosian.

Recounting some of the lowlights:
- FOUR fumbles on punt or kick returns.
- At least one other fumble that I can remember. There may have been more, as I tried to erase them from memory.
- At least two passes that should have been intercepted.
- Struggles with FG kicking continue, with another miss at an eminently makeable distance.

- On a critical third-and-1, we break the huddle with 12 men, AFTER A TIME OUT!! Now it's third and six. How in the name of all that's holy does this happen when the chance for confusion is negated by having plenty of time to get squared away?

- On another critical third and one, our fifth year senior OL jumps for the umpteenth time. A quirk in the penalty / clock rules, in combination with earlier injudicious use of time outs and coach's challenges by Arkansas, effectively allows us to run out the clock. But I promise you, that wasn't part of 77's thought processes at the time. The repeated lack of discipline is both galling and telling.

- We've got two of the best running backs in the country, and we can't run against one of the more porous defenses we'll face in the SEC.

- On a 4th and inches, we get stuffed in what may have been the ugliest QB sneak in the history of the game.

That effort will not win against any team left on our schedule. It should not have won last night. I had flashbacks to 2000.

How did it come to this? Here are my thoughts:

- Special teams coaching. I've been saying it quietly for several years now, and Jess finally came out with it in print: we need to find a replacement for Bobby Williams. I know he's a loyal and long-time friend of Saban's. So find him an off-field spot in the Athletic Department. His kick coverage teams have been a weakness for long time, and it's now bleeding over into other areas. Last night I was seriously advocating instructions not to field punts under any circumstances. Just let them roll dead wherever that might happen.

- QB. Apparently, the coaches think Sims gives us the best chance to win. Healthy, that might be so. I don't think he's recovered from the shoulder he hurt against Florida. We haven't even attempted a deep (or even truly downfield) pass since that game. Defenses no longer respect the threat, and that tips the first in a series of dominoes....

- Knowing we aren't going to throw more than 10 yards past the LOS, opposing DBs cheat up. This (1) crowds the field, placing a premium on passing accuracy -- never Sims' strong suit, and (2) makes it harder to run.

-OL. Sure, we miss Ryan Kelly, but injuries are part of the game, and the loss of the center shouldn't affect us like it has. We have a revolving door at RG. A fifth year senior LG is improved, but still makes repeated mental mistakes in pressurized situations. Despite stellar recruiting, we look confused, slow, and vulnerable. Loss of Kelly aside, the OL has actually regressed. It's time to evaluate every player and coach here.

Now for the hard part...none of this is quickly fixable. So what do we do right now? I don't think there are any easy answers. As fans, we have to remain supportive of the players, hang on until Kelly returns, and accept the idea that it may be unrealistic for this team to make it through the season as a contender for championships of any description. Then we have to trust Saban to make the right offseason moves.

What are your thoughts?

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
When I get to somewhere that I can actually type on (a non iOS device) I have more to say, but can I add something here?

We had Arkansas on 3rd and long how many times. And how many times did we BRING THE HOUSE BLITZ package!? Just about every time. It didn't work the first 5 times WHAT MAKES YOU THINK it'll work the 6-10 time.

Can we maybe focus more on coverage and just blitz one, MAYBE two extra LBers next time on. 3rd & long !?

Love the Ping

All-SEC
Jun 15, 2005
I would say that we were not good last night. I still think this is a good football team. Now, as to why we aren't dominant as in year's past:

-- Poor recruiting and/or evaluation and/or development at the QB position. -- I like Blake and want him to do well. I also realize he's the best option. He's just not what an elite team should be trotting out under center each week.

-- Attention to detail on offense is atrocious. -- I don't know who holds the blame, but we've gotten more pre-snap procedure, substitution, delay penalties this year already than we probably did in the past two combined. Guys not lining up correctly, etc. Just sloppy things that are happening this year that haven't in the past (you could include fumbles here, but I know they've been an emphasis, so the players aren't getting the message)

-- Injuries -- We've been hit harder by the injury bug this year than any year since Saban got here. I realize all teams have injuries, but I could easily see us unbeaten and ranked #1 or #2 this week if we avoid some key injuries. Drake is a game-changing athlete, and we don't have anyone else like him. Obviously losing Kelly when we did last week didn't help either. Devall is a stud as well, fortunately we have a lot of capable bodies on that side, and especially at that spot.

-- Kicking game -- Scott is the lone bright spot. I had high hopes for Griffith when he signed, and he looked great in the dome, but in pressure situations the last three games he's been bad. Like, terrible bad. Lots of his kicks aren't even close. The return game should be an asset with the athletes we have recruited. Right now it's a liability in a major way.

It's been a strange year. Unfortunately we're at the part of the schedule where it's hard to experiment and try to fix things. We're capable of losing to any team on the schedule the rest of the way out save the tune-up before Auburn. Fortunately for us, our most difficult games remaining are all at home, where I think we will be a more confident team. Our team is in a rut right now. Hopefully we pull out of it soon. We still have everything in front of us.

Last edited:

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Agree on special teams coach, who is also TE coach and who Saban chewed after 12 men on the field. Pretty sure the extra was a tight end. He should do the right thing, take the pressure off the boss, and resign.

Our offensive line has been in steady decline since the great Joe Pendry retired. Stoutland led the regression. Unfortunately, there is no quick easy fix. Center last night was a redshirt freshman. Both backups were true freshmen. Our best and most consistent starting lineman lineman is a true freshman. The Brown/Taylor/Jackson trio says none is any better than another, which is worrisome, to say the least. Again, don't see a quick fix. I would like to say CMC is the issue, but I actually think he is trying to make chicken salad with chicken feathers. Kelly back will help. Not sure what is up with Hill who was dependable enough last year.

Losing Drake has put a huge hole in our playbook. Thought it would be remedied by last night. It wasn't. I fear you are precisely correct saying Blake has hit his ceiling, and I am not being unfair to him, just honest. In fact, I am a fan of his and will always be grateful for the way he has done everything we asked him to and to the best of his ability.

Again, unfortunately, I think Sims must be well ahead of Coker or he would be playing some. It is not like the coaches aren't going to play the best guy. Though behind last night's oline performance I don't think any QB was going to look great. Perhaps Blake will put it back together against A&M, but right now it is only duty and loyalty that will have me there cheering, not optimism. I will even be at homecoming....

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Well stated and you are absolutely correct there needs to be some changes, but I do not see it happening in mid season. I have said in other threads that we are looking at 9-3 at best since I see no way we beat either MSU and auburn and that assumes we beat TAMU. A 9 win season, while not what we as fans expect, is not a failure by any means.

We look solid against the run game, but the secondary, with the exception of Collins, is simply not SEC level. The OL is marginal and that is a complement. I won't even comment on the STs,
kick offs and FGs they are that bad. I won't comment on QB since it is such a sensitive issue on this site and there are strong feelings both ways. I do think there are several weak links in the coaching staff and I trust CNS to fix this at the end of the season.

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
I say we are where we are right now because of sub par oline recruiting.
in 2010 we recruited:
Arie Kouandjio 4*
Chad Lindsay 3*
Austin Shepard 3*
in 2011 we recruited
Isaac Luatua 3*
Cyrus Kouandjio 5*
Ryan Kelly 3*
Aaron Douglas 4*
in 2012 we recruited
Brandon Greene 4*
Caleb Gulledge 3*
Brandon Greene 4*
in 2013 we got:
Cole Mazza 3* (long snapper)
Grant Hill 4*
Brandon Hill 3*
Leon Brown 3*

how many on that list are still at school? we have had top tier recruiting classes for years now, but the oline recruiting has been sub par at best. it looks to have an upswing this year but ... who knows how all that will shape out.

Love the Ping

All-SEC
Jun 15, 2005
I say we are where we are right now because of sub par oline recruiting.
in 2010 we recruited:
Arie Kouandjio 4*
Chad Lindsay 3*
Austin Shepard 3*
in 2011 we recruited
Isaac Luatua 3*
Cyrus Kouandjio 5*
Ryan Kelly 3*
Aaron Douglas 4*
in 2012 we recruited
Brandon Greene 4*
Caleb Gulledge 3*
Brandon Greene 4*
in 2013 we got:
Cole Mazza 3* (long snapper)
Grant Hill 4*
Brandon Hill 3*
Leon Brown 3*

how many on that list are still at school? we have had top tier recruiting classes for years now, but the oline recruiting has been sub par at best. it looks to have an upswing this year but ... who knows how all that will shape out.
Taylor, Bozeman also should be on there somewhere. But your point is taken; our OL is below our typical standards in a major way. Our TEs also aren't very good blockers, which hurts. Guys like Williams, Underwood, Dial were not great receivers (are our current guys, though?), but were fantastic as point of attack blockers.

Love the Ping

All-SEC
Jun 15, 2005
Pretty much nailed everything I would have wrote. Great post!

Not sure if we are about to see Coker back in the mix or not after last night.
Just my opinion, but I don't see a QB change happening unless there is an injury or Blake has another performance like last night AND we lose the game. The QB position is a sensitive one. Once you make that change, it needs to be for the long haul. You don't want to put Coker in, then him not do well, and now you've got musical chairs going on.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
...you are absolutely correct there needs to be some changes, but I do not see it happening in mid season...
Agreed. And absent misconduct or disruptive interactions with staff or players (neither of which I've heard a whisper about), I don't think it should.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Unfortunately, I think you nailed it. I thought the Ole Miss game was just a "down" game for us. I truly thought we'd come out against Arkansas with a major mad on and play like we did against UF. Western Carolina is the only gimme left on our schedule. Every other game will be a struggle.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
I wanna know what is wrong with Cooper Bateman. He throws the ball very well, particularly the deep ball. He must have a terrible grasp of the play-book or a very problematic fixation on the deep ball (I.e. He must be madly in love with it beyond rescue) that impedes his game cause he is by far the most accurate passer on our team.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
We say we have two of the best RBs in the country, but are they really ? Perhaps some of our key 5 stars, especially on offense , aren't quite as good as expected.

Love the Ping

All-SEC
Jun 15, 2005
I wanna know what is wrong with Cooper Bateman. He throws the ball very well, particularly the deep ball. He must have a terrible grasp of the play-book or a very problematic fixation on the deep ball (I.e. He must be madly in love with it beyond rescue) that impedes his game cause he is by far the most accurate passer on our team.
I honestly am curious as to how you know this. Has he ever taken a snap?

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
When I get to somewhere that I can actually type on (a non iOS device) I have more to say, but can I add something here?

We had Arkansas on 3rd and long how many times. And how many times did we BRING THE HOUSE BLITZ package!? Just about every time. It didn't work the first 5 times WHAT MAKES YOU THINK it'll work the 6-10 time.

Can we maybe focus more on coverage and just blitz one, MAYBE two extra LBers next time on. 3rd & long !?

Depends on the team and gameplan. Other than bringing the Jack backer, Nick doesn't blitz as much as some on this board believe. And when blitzes are called, DBs have different coverages than normal non blitz situations. Kirby is opening the defensive playbook more, and putting more on the young secondary. They will either learn or get burned. Eventually it will pay off.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
We say we have two of the best RBs in the country, but are they really ? Perhaps some of our key 5 stars, especially on offense , aren't quite as good as expected.
I said this on another thread, but TJ doesn't run with the authority he had as a freshman. Don't know if it's injury or fumblitis but something is in his head.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
You nailed it. A 5 star in high school doesn't always translate to a 5 star in college. Remember, a lot of these guys had it so easy in high school football, they aren't prepared for what awaits them on this level. Some pan out, others don't. I think we all get too glassy eyed over all the 5 star hype, when these recruiting services are mainly a bunch of overblown hype. Give me a 2 star Demeco Ryans who works his butt off every play all day long over some of the prima donnas we continue to fill our roster with.

As far as last night - when you see things like a veteran player lunging into a group of people on a wet field to try to field a punt, the thoughts that came to my mind were:

A) This guy really qualified academically to enroll at UA?
B) Is this a drug problem?
C) Is someone taking money from a bookie to throw a game?

I'm sure i'll get flamed for that, but you all know you were thinking similar thoughts. You just don't do stupid things like that. Bobby Williams obviously has incriminating photos of somebody. He should have been walking back to Tuscaloosa.

Yeah, we've got issues.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.