What's wrong with the offensive line?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
RG has been inconsistent all season too. We have a lot problems right now with Kelly out...can't get anything going in the middle.

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame
One of the most important aspects of a good offensive line is that the unit gels and plays together for an extended period of time.

This offensive line hasn't time to gel, what with the starting center out.

I have always said that the game of football is won or lost on the line of scrimmage, and an effective, experienced offensive line that has played together for many reps is the best weapon in the game.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
We either missed on evaluating talent or missed on developing talent. None of these 5 would have started on any other Bama teams since 2008. Maybe Cam. And he is a true freshman. That tells you the state of the OLine..

Love the Ping

All-SEC
Jun 15, 2005
We don't have that OL bell cow that we've had in the past. Our best player (by far) up there is a true freshman. Our LG sometimes looks great, but can't avoid costly penalties in pressure situations. Center - we know. RG has been a huge problem all year. RT is in the Drew Davis mold; solid most of the time, but not a game-changer and not supremely gifted.

I'd say recruiting on the OL has been somewhat of an issue. There's a post in another thread that outlines our OL signing classes over the past five years or so, and a good number of those guys are no longer on the team or haven't panned out at all.

Love the Ping

All-SEC
Jun 15, 2005
We either missed on evaluating talent or missed on developing talent. None of these 5 would have started on any other Bama teams since 2008. Maybe Cam. And he is a true freshman. That tells you the state of the OLine..
Kelly, Kouandjio, and Sheperd all started last year. So they would have started on other Bama teams. But yes, aside from Cam, our talent level leaves much to be desired.

I have hopes for Taylor actually. I guess because of sheer size/athleticism. I'd hope he could be developed into a road-grader.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I'll probably get jumped for saying this, but I think we're running the wrong offense. Sims is a better runner than passer and making him run our pro-style offense is like stuffing a square peg in a round hole. We should go no huddle, up-tempo, and run a lot of zone read where Sims is a threat to run the ball. Passes should either be quick throws or play-action. Occassionally roll him out so he has the option to run the ball if his first read is covered.

The downside, or course, is that he would be exposed and risk injury. But we need to do something to breathe some life into our offense. If Sims is going to be our QB, why not design a game plan around his strength rather than his weakness?

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
1. Center is out. Line calls start with him and this is crucial.
2. OG play on both sides is horrendous.
3. RT play is inconsistent.

What gets me is that 75% of the time last night on first down Bama ran to the right side. I don't get it. It is sad that our best and most consistent OLineman is a true freshman.

Love the Ping

All-SEC
Jun 15, 2005
The downside, or course, is that he would be exposed and risk injury. But we need to do something to breathe some life into our offense. If Sims is going to be our QB, why not design a game plan around his strength rather than his weakness?
What happens when Sims does get hurt (and he would)? We have no other players that can run that type of offense. So now you've put all your eggs in one basket and that injury completely destroys you. If we had three mobile QBs on the roster, I'm buying it. But not with one.

Love the Ping

All-SEC
Jun 15, 2005
What gets me is that 75% of the time last night on first down Bama ran to the right side. I don't get it. It is sad that our best and most consistent OLineman is a true freshman.
I couldn't understand it, either. That's one thing I was saying over and over. Why aren't we running left at all?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
There's something to every remark above. What's not been mentioned is the blocking of our TEs (or lack thereof). In a recent meeting, one of the staff was asked why so little use of OJ. He responded as a TE for Saban, you have to block like an OT and catch like a WR. OJ is lagging on the blocking and so is Vogler. The last few years, we've had the luxury of having TEs we could pull in and function like an extra OT. That quality of blocking is not happening now. The other question is the OL coach. He's a dynamite recruiter, but I'm beginning to believe that he's not the quality position coach we've been accustomed to. And that a puzzle, since he was an outstanding tackle for Miami. BTW, tidbit of the day - "Cristobal" is just Spanish for "Christopher." So, now you know who "Cristoforo Colombo," a Venetian, became "Cristóbal Colón," when he came under the sponsorship of the Spanish for his voyage which blundered into the Americas. He was out of favor with the crown when it came apparent that there were two giant continents he had discovered, so they were named as now, instead of nor and south "Colon." That would give a whole new meaning to "colonoscopy." :D

BamaCJK

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 8, 2007
I'll probably get jumped for saying this, but I think we're running the wrong offense. Sims is a better runner than passer and making him run our pro-style offense is like stuffing a square peg in a round hole. We should go no huddle, up-tempo, and run a lot of zone read where Sims is a threat to run the ball. Passes should either be quick throws or play-action. Occassionally roll him out so he has the option to run the ball if his first read is covered.

I agree with mlh. Put Sims in a situation where he looks comforatable. He looks out of sorts in the Pro-Style

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
[SUP]it's not talent. Talent is fine and actually one of our most talented units. The issue here, IMO,is development. Many of our o linemen have reached the league only to struggle for a season or two b4 living up to their draft stock, drawing complaints from some coaching staffs. Miami wasn't exactly sad to see cristoball go when we hired him. We may have reached an issue of having a staff that is very good at recruiting but not good enough at developing their players. [/SUP]

Love the Ping

All-SEC
Jun 15, 2005
I agree with mlh. Put Sims in a situation where he looks comforatable. He looks out of sorts in the Pro-Style
I agree with the idea, but you can't do that when you don't have a backup that can run the same offense. There's not enough time in the week to practice two separate systems in the event your starter gets hurt.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
The other question is the OL coach. He's a dynamite recruiter, but I'm beginning to believe that he's not the quality position coach we've been accustomed to. And that a puzzle, since he was an outstanding tackle for Miami.
I normally don't say this about a coach because there's not enough "body of work" to suggest a conclusion. However, after a year and a half, Brock Huard last night pointed out our offensive problem - it's the OL performance. For a year and a half, we have not had the OL play quality "Alabama football". That change came after Pendry and Stoutland left town and Cristobal came in.

When you consider "talent", I don't think anyone would dare suggest that the incoming OL talent that Pendry/Stoutland worked with is better than that which has come to Tuscaloosa over the past 2-3 classes. Yet, here we are - wondering if there aren't any better OL on our roster than what we're seeing on the field right now. At what point do we get tired of being able to convert "3rd and 1's"? In Cristobal's case, I'm afraid we sacrificed "coaching them up" for "bringing them in". And... unless there's a massive upgrade at this coaching position, we can get used to these types of offensive performances.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I thought Bozeman for his 1st start played pretty well, especially as the game went on, and he got more reps at the C spot..And he will only get better & better with more reps..Alphonso Taylor I think was the one getting beat a lot by his man & I dunno what can be done about that..Other than trying another Lineman his starting spot..Taylor is a "Road Grader" & even when running the ball didn't look all that great..I'll trust our coaching staff & if he's the best we have at that position..I'll support the "Big Boy" cause he's obviously doing his best..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.