Bama better with Lane Kiffin or worse?

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
Two weeks ago he was the reincarnation of Homer Smith. Time will tell.
I remember when there were many that said Homer's offenses were inept. Run on first and second down and then fire it long! I think whenever Bama loses or we struggle,the fingers will be pointed everywhere. That has always been the case!

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I am really not worried about his play calling -- I am a bit concerned about his personality and it's effect on the team.....

He's sort of been a cancer in his previous spots.....

Is Christian Jones' fumble issues more about Cooper being the offensive center of attention? That's the kind of stuff that concerns me....

The psychological stuff...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I am really not worried about his play calling -- I am a bit concerned about his personality and it's effect on the team.....

He's sort of been a cancer in his previous spots.....

Is Christian Jones' fumble issues more about Cooper being the offensive center of attention?

The psychological stuff...
YES!!! we would be looking at overtime against Olemiss and not a sure loss if he didnt fumble. Amari being the center of attention is no different than richardson or ingram being the show. The only difference is there are defenses that can knock down our offensive lines like bowling pins and affect our qb.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
as others have posted, it's simply too early to tell, and not just from an offensive scheme and play calling perspective. Part of the LK impact will be on the recruiting trail, so no way to answer this for at least another year IMO.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
For better or worse, our Offense isn't quite as predictable as it was under NUSS.
New QB also makes it harder to judge our OC.

Not taking up for Lane, but our Offense is only as good as our OL. And we have too many young inexperienced players. Sometimes it looks like players don't give it everything... Like they take off for a play here and there...
We also have 'An Attention Problem' that has killed our momentum...

(Maybe I am taking up for Lane)

BadgerTidefan

1st Team
Dec 2, 2006
Jennings, FL
I think w're better off with Lane Kiffin. With that said I haven't read any posts that suggest otherwise or any critical of him by name. Plenty are critical of the offense, but I haven't seen criticism of him as a coach. I haven't read every single posts, but enough to be entertained.

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
The OL will look better this weekend. Watch the TE's vs the tackles. Also, sometimes the anouncers will tell you that Blake Sims throw is off when really it is the WR running a poor route. This was the case on several throws from Blake to Amari against Arkansas.

GeorgiaTider

All-SEC
Oct 30, 2005
I am not sure if we are better or worse. I do not know if he is a genius whose play calling is covering for a substandard O, is a contributor to the O's poor performance or his attitude has been picked up by the O and causing a(n) internal issue(s). There are numerous areas we need improvement in and the season is half over. This team just looks like it has internal issues and I am not convinced CLK is not a contributing factor. Watching CNS and CLK reaction to each other this weekend was interesting.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I love Kiffin as an offensive coordinator. I don't think he is used to the speed of the SEC yet, and I think that shows by all the failed plays we run to the perimeter, but I think he is a great offensive coach. He still hasn't gotten his players synced to the system yet, but he'll get there. I do still miss McElwain and his pound and ground offense, but he beats the crap out of Nuss or Major Applewhite.

Craxycat

All-SEC
Apr 24, 2009
So far I don't have many complainants about him (with the exception of us 'playing not to lose' during Ol' Miss), but I am worried that his negative does not equal a positive for our team. Does that make sense? I want to hope that he isn't like a succubus of positive or something, but the past places he has been (i.e. history repeating itself etc) shows he might just have a 'Murphy's Law' monkey on his back. I mean everybody deserves a second (and in his case third & fourth) chance, but I think this will either prove to be his undoing ,or not, later on with the way he handles adversity.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I agree with all those who say "too early to tell". However, if you gave me a choice right now of continuing the season with Kiffin or going back to Nuss, I wouldn't even stop to think. We are better off in that choice with Kiffin. I also agree that until there is better offensive line play, the quality of the play calling is going to be difficult to assess. The play calling can (and should) cover some deficiency, but not what was on display most of last Saturday evening.

If our punter wasn't so good, I'd be advocating for the return of the quick kick.

Coach25

1st Team
Sep 1, 2014
I like the hire and think for the most part he has done a good job. My problem is how much of the game plan changes from being at home as to on the road or neutral site. I wish he would play to win every game and if we get beat going or it I will not complain. It's when he plays not to lose that bothers me.

You can not completely compare results because different teams and personnel. You have to look at it relative to the play calls and not so much the results yet. Once he gets 2 to 3 years into the recruiting cycle then you can start to judge on results.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I believe we are better with Lane Kiffin as OC, yes.
I do as well, but there are obvious growing pains. I'm not sure people get just how good Ole Miss is on defense. Every single team, every single one they played were held to season lows and they have the #2 scoring defense. They're good on defense, they're Alabama and LSU in years past good.

A lot of what we're seeing is just a recipe for struggles, for instance the Arkansas game went something like this 1 injured player maker+one injured starting center+one inexperienced quarterback+one new OC+bad playing conditions=struggles on offense.

If I get to the point that the offense is struggling and I can't even explain why, then I will worry.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.