Bama better with Lane Kiffin or worse?

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Am I the only one who thinks our team is better because we have Lane Kiffin as OC as opposed to being worse without him? Just curious. Hearing a lot of Lane Kiffin hate lately (to me, totally unwarranted).

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
It's too early to tell. We have a lot more procedural penalties and that may be a more complicated offense but it may be totally unrelated.

I'm going to trust CNS on this one. If he's not doing a good job, we'll have a new OC next year.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
After the Florida game I found myself worrying that he would get a head coaching spot next season. Two games later, I'm not that worried about it. I'm more in a "wait and see" type mode.

64met

All-American
Oct 12, 2007
IMO, it doesn't matter who our OC is until our line begins knocking others on their back-sides.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I believe that we are in a better position with Kiffin as an OC, but even for all of McElwain's best called games, he had some pretty bad ones. I've seen some stats out there where Sims overall QB numbers in the last two weeks are better than McElroy's worst numbers during the middle of the 2009 season. I realize some of this is comparing apples to oranges, but I also don't think it's all Kiffin's fault. Brock Huard did a great job showing that when Sims did have time to throw (which it seemed like he had forever from time to time), he was locking onto Cooper, and not going through his progressions. I remember JPW doing that, McElroy, even McCarron. Sims, despite being a fifth-year senior, isn't an experienced quarterback. We have to work through those issues, on top of a patchwork O-line.

I look at it this way, despite the last two games, we are...

- One play away from winning in Oxford.
- Sims hasn't thrown a INT despite being on the road. I realize that there should have been INTs, but as of now, no INTs.
- Defense is actually playing pretty well despite the STs and offensive TOs.
- We return home this weekend with a chance to keep up with Ole Miss, MSU, and AU in the SECW race.

Let's not throw away the season. Still a lot of football to be played.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm beginning to believe that his play calling at the beginning of the year covered up a lot of deficiencies.
this times a million. I really dont know why after the arkansas game people want to act like our defense is 2011 reincarnated when 3rd down is such a huge problem, but they want to act like rival fans and treat Lane Kiffin like he is a cancer of the team. Really ask yourself would nussmeir's run offense be able to run effectivley with our current offense. the answer is no. The problem is we have the best skill position players that anyone could ask for, a qb that is learning how to be a starter for the first time, and a loaded western division all the while we dont have a good enough line to avoid constant adversity. It really showed in the wv game and we didnt really get clicking before Lane started calling no huddles giving sims confidence. The problem is we need our whole offense clicking to win western division games because every little mental lapse from a false start to an ugly execution is amplified. Its best that people should stop blaming coordinators for mistakes in execution because kirby and lane are putting them in the right position 90% of the time

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
He may not win the Heisman, but he'll AT LEAST get invited.
Kid is very impressive, not to mention his punts inside the 20. He has a NFL leg NOW and just a True Freshman. Will be fun knowing he is here for at least two more years anyways.

He has 19 punts for a 46.7 AVG, 12 of them being inside the 20 (wow), and 8 of the 19 have went 50+. I'll take that out of a TF any day!!

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
I believe that we are in a better position with Kiffin as an OC, but even for all of McElwain's best called games, he had some pretty bad ones. I've seen some stats out there where Sims overall QB numbers in the last two weeks are better than McElroy's worst numbers during the middle of the 2009 season. I realize some of this is comparing apples to oranges, but I also don't think it's all Kiffin's fault. Brock Huard did a great job showing that when Sims did have time to throw (which it seemed like he had forever from time to time), he was locking onto Cooper, and not going through his progressions. I remember JPW doing that, McElroy, even McCarron. Sims, despite being a fifth-year senior, isn't an experienced quarterback. We have to work through those issues, on top of a patchwork O-line.

I look at it this way, despite the last two games, we are...

- One play away from winning in Oxford.
- Sims hasn't thrown a INT despite being on the road. I realize that there should have been INTs, but as of now, no INTs.
- Defense is actually playing pretty well despite the STs and offensive TOs.
- We return home this weekend with a chance to keep up with Ole Miss, MSU, and AU in the SECW race.

Let's not throw away the season. Still a lot of football to be played.
our defense held OM to 3 points until the late 3rd quarter in Oxford. the secondary didn't adjust well to the bunch and trip formations that led to the breakdown. Collins was gimpy on the last TD that tied the game. the defense save us in the Arkansas game. the front 7 is playing like the Alabama of old . they are the bright spot in the last 2 games. If they continue to play well the rest of the season, we have a great shot to win it all.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.