Coach Saban upset with high expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/nick-saban-fans-expectations/

I'm at fault here as well. Blake made a few mistakes against WVU and I was entirely too critical of him. I complained throughout the entire Arky game. In 2007 I told myself that since I had seen so many difficult seasons that I would appreciate every victory from now on, yet look how quickly I forgot. I guess I need to be reminded from time to time. Bama has had more success than I could have dreamed of only a few years ago. How many fan bases would give their left hands to be 5-1 and ranked in the top 10? My expectations have gotten out of control, and I vow, once again, to reel them in and enjoy what success does come. Maybe this time I will remember. RTR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I'm going to lower my expectations this year just for Coach.

I wanted and expected to end up 15 - 0. Now, I just want and expect to end up 14 - 1.

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
not gonna win a championship every year bud. but, the thing I am most disappointed in with the arky game is the fact that it looked like most players were sleep walking on offense. the sideline looked "dead" until Landon made the interception at the end of the game. go back and look at film of the Baylor/tcu game and watch the sidelines. the players were going nuts. I want energy, I want enthusiasm I want players getting in each others face and pumping somebody up. you don't have to be a ra ra guy but keep some life on the sideline.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
Lol...all due respect but I call BS (Buffalo Snot). I saw the game, just as everyone in America did. You wanna tell me that CNS wasn't expressing frustration and disappointment during that game? Did I miss the part where he got all emotional and proud of how the team patted BS on the back after the "VertSneak" play? I watch CNS almost weekly, at some point during the game, mouth an expletive version of "What are we/is he doing"?

I feel the same way, Coach.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
He has very valid points. Things we say on other boards and here are too critical and That's something we as a fan have to learn to chill out and be patient with him and the team. IF we don't learn how to do that, we may lose him sooner than later and it'll be long time before we find a good coach like him. That is why I've tried to be see both sides ( fan and coach) and stay netural as much as I can.

RTR2u

Hall of Fame
Nov 30, 2013
Georgia
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/nick-saban-fans-expectations/

I'm at fault here as well. Blake made a few mistakes against WVU and I was entirely too critical of him. I complained throughout the entire Arky game. In 2007 I told myself that since I had seen so many difficult seasons that I would appreciate every victory from now on, yet look how quickly I forgot. I guess I need to be reminded from time to time. Bama has had more success than I could have dreamed of only a few years ago. How many fan bases would give their left hands to be 5-1 and ranked in the top 10? My expectations have gotten out of control, and I vow, once again, to reel them in and enjoy what success does come. Maybe this time I will remember. RTR.
Right there with you, Crimson Flyboy. Amen and Amen!

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
Just call me humbled. We aren't the #1 team in the nation on offense but this "D" will be rated #1 and can hopefully carry the "O" until we get more experience. I'll take 1 loss after playing 2 very good teams and may have to learn how to live with 2 losses. If the team is satisfied with it then I may as well also.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I was telling another poster about how I've never seen anything this bad and this person reminded me of Shula days... OUCH!....

I think we really need to do better job and learn to back off and let the process work. We're stepping in and meddling with the process and we as a fan should take the partial blame for the way our team are playing this season. The coaches may not always see what's going on or what we say, but players know and they see that. For example, We might say " Put in Sims instead of Jones at receiver" Sims sees this and then he starts to believe things we are saying on the forum. He acts differently on the field and becomes " frustrated." Family and friends see the forum board and tell him what he needs to be doing. In the end, He transfers out because he think he knows what's best for himself, which never will works out in most cases.

I think It's going to be a major factor whether Saban will "leave" or not in few years... I have never seen anyone complaining nonstop about the coaching this year..... two years ago, we were praising them...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
This may not be a popular opinion, but...

CNS needs to suck it up and coach the team. They've looked ill-prepared and sloppy the last two weeks and that's on him. If he thinks fans expecting a coach to win when he's given $7million/year, has an arsenal of talent that's as good or better than any other team in the country and is given everything he's ever asked for wrt tools, buildings, etc. is unreasonable, then maybe he needs to refocus his efforts.

Frankly, I'm tired of hearing what CNS and wife think of us as fans. Put a product on the field that reflects what you preach and we'll all be happy.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Dang............ Bad day huh?

CNS needs to suck it up and coach the team. They've looked ill-prepared and sloppy the last two weeks and that's on him. If he thinks fans expecting a coach to win when he's given $7million/year, has an arsenal of talent that's as good or better than any other team in the country and is given everything he's ever asked for wrt tools, buildings, etc. is unreasonable, then maybe he needs to refocus his efforts.

Frankly, I'm tired of hearing what CNS and wife think of us as fans. Put a product on the field that reflects what you preach and we'll all be happy.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

You sound very entitled.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Dang............ Bad day huh?
Not at all, back in the studio after a long weekend in LA, having a great day. :)

Just ready for CNS to address the team's issues instead of acting like it's our fault that we can't hold on to the ball, field a punt, or avoid stupid mental errors on the field.

Last edited:

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
If you mix crimsonaudio and JustNeedMe81's posts, I think you'll find my opinion. We do have a less prepared team with some obvious areas for improvement, but we're also playing Saban style ball. I think with some more practice time, our offense will reawaken, and maybe we will learn to stop fumbling. Without our turnovers the last two weeks, we are likely still ranked #1.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

A big THANKYOU for that.

I think it's great he's rising to the team's defense. He doesn't need to try to make the fan base the villians.

Bama Shoals

1st Team
Jan 17, 2007
Killen, AL
Amen to this!! Is it too high an expectation to expect someone to be able to field a punt? Are expectations too high when you want to see a decrease in penalties and an increase in discipline? Is it too much expectation to want to see fire and passion from the team? I understand a lull in performance sometimes over the years due to injuries, inexperience, etc. but this is more than that!

Agree wholeheartedly with the post!

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
I'm with you CA. I don't even know why he pays any attention to what fans say. He demanded and has complete control. We respect him, even if we have differing opinions.
I haven't criticized any of the players individually but the lack of focus and mental mistakes have been atrocious for an Alabama team. This is the kind of stuff we expect from a second tier team, flustered when playing against Alabama. I am pulling for Blake, he deserve good things but he needs to settle down and not appear to be so panicked. Win or lose, I will support and love Alabama but fan discussion is a normal part of the season. I really have a hard time believing the Sabans are that sensitive.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I wouldn't say high expectations so much as unrealistic expectations. He mentioned high expectations but didn't say anything about being unhappy about that, he's said he's happy with that in the past. It's unrealistic to expect Alabama to win a championship every year, it's unrealistic to expect the team to blowout every opponent, even when key players are hurt.

I had high, but cautious expectations leading into this season. I worried place kicker could be an issue, and for all my defense of Blake Sims, never felt he was going to be able to fully utilize Alabama's offense. I hoped Alabama would be healthy, and they're not. This is not a good situation right now, and there's no magical wand anyone possesses to fix some of those issues.

I might view the situation differently had Saban not won 4 BCS championships, 3 of those at Alabama. I firmly believe no other coach on the planet, bar none, could have stepped in and done what Saban has done. Furthermore, I can't find any coach anywhere, that hasn't endured similar struggles. None, so why on earth would I have cause to criticize? He's the best at what he does, but he doesn't have unlimited scholarships, he does has various constraints (like the signing limit that kept him from getting Philon), and there will be inevitable down years. It happened to Urban Meyer, Steve Spurrier, Pete Carrol, etc... so why should Alabama fans have this attitude of demanding constant perfection?

Last edited:

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I wish he would just take a page out of the Billichek playbook in dealing with the media. Give nothing and react to nothing put in front of him by the media. In the long run he and the team will be better off. If the players hear or see him raising cane during a PC - it seems to me all that does is let the players know what we say is important enough that it warrants a response. His responses dont come across as someone who is trying to build mental toughness with the players. How can you tell the players not to give a rip what anyone else says while you spend half your PC defending your position?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.