Coach Saban upset with high expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.

grlindsey08

3rd Team
Dec 4, 2010
Jasper, AL
If we don't cool it, we're really going to suck when he leaves. Why? It's already going to be hard enough to find someone willing to follow his legacy. If we add "impossible fans" to reasons for coaches to not want to come here, we're going to end up with some Shula/DuBose again.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I don't think it's unrealistic to expect the team to return after a crucial timeout with only 11 players on the field. I just don't.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
If we don't cool it, we're really going to suck when he leaves. Why? It's already going to be hard enough to find someone willing to follow his legacy. If we add "impossible fans" to reasons for coaches to not want to come here, we're going to end up with some Shula/DuBose again.
Unfortunately, I think the odds are in favor of that anyway. I've come to the conclusion that getting the "right" coach is just blind luck. Alabama nearly got Rich Rod instead of Saban! So, only dumb luck and a crazy wife (funny that some people want to complain about Terry) saved us from that.

Alabama could go after the best looking guy out there, and the odds are he's going to win 10 games at Alabama, but beyond that?

Let's see, Ray Perkins, Bill Curry, Mike Dubose, Fran, Price, Shula... not all those guys looked bad on paper, the odds are simply not in our favor, it's more likely Alabama ends up with a Muschamp.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Cecil's take on the radio...

Saban needs to accept the fan base's high expectations. Get over getting mad about it and move on.
^^^^^^

Goes on to suggest Saban just needs somebody to be mad at. (I think that's called looking for a whipping boy.) :)
Maybe he should look at our special teams coach if he needs an anger outlet. 4 fumbles on kick returns in one game is ridiculous.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I've watched his little temper tandrum twice now. Jeff Speegle on ABC 33/40 said his rant was in response to a question he (Speegle) asked about seniors making mistakes.

So he really "went off" without even being baited on that particular topic.

Here's my honest reaction: I think CNS is a great coach and I'm glad he's a Bama, but I think he embarrassed himself and the University and, at the same time, disrespected good Bama fans who expect a better product than that.

I'm with CrimsonAudio on this one.

grlindsey08

3rd Team
Dec 4, 2010
Jasper, AL
Unfortunately, I think the odds are in favor of that anyway. I've come to the conclusion that getting the "right" coach is just blind luck. Alabama nearly got Rich Rod instead of Saban! So, only dumb luck and a crazy wife (funny that some people want to complain about Terry) saved us from that.

Alabama could go after the best looking guy out there, and the odds are he's going to win 10 games at Alabama, but beyond that?

Let's see, Ray Perkins, Bill Curry, Mike Dubose, Fran, Price, Shula... not all those guys looked bad on paper, the odds are simply not in our favor, it's more likely Alabama ends up with a Muschamp.
You're definitely right about it always being blind luck. But it would be awful for someone who's succeeded at a smaller school like Boise State or TCU or something to NOT consider Alabama because of unrealistic expectations set by the fans. We really can't control any aspect of the game outside of stadium noise and showing support, but we can directly control fan expectation levels and keep them in check.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
So yeah..

Expectations, for me at least, aren't completely based on scores or wins and losses (though they are a by product of my coming point). I, like CNS has said before, am just looking for our boys to play to a standard. That's my gripe. End of story. Had we played to our standard, and lost last week...and eeked out a win this week, then I am okay with that.

I'm not okay with what I watched this past week, because it wasn't to a standard we have been TOLD that we should expect. So, I agree with CA wholeheartedly...the expectations we as a collective fan base have are only as high as we have been pushed to expect.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
That's the point that most of us were trying to say.. we need to chill for real...

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
All I want to know is this: How many of the fans that are being so critical are in the meetings everyday? How many of you are on the practice field daily for the WHOLE practice? How many of you know what the staff is working on every day in practice? And most importantly: how many of you have ever been contacted by the University of Alabama or any other major university for that matter to even be the water boy?
I want to win as much as any other fan on here but the fact is that sometimes it just doesn't go our way. Some of these guys (Christion Jones) seem to be making mistakes not due to lack of effort but too much effort to try to make a play.
Everyone on here has a right to your opinion, but none of us have a right to tell the coach he is screwing up in whatever way you think he is unless you are a big time coach and a consistently successful program like Coach Saban has been.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
BamaInMo1,
I don't think CNS behaived in a professional manner today. I'm a supporter of the University, I've got an opinion, and it's a free country.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I don't think it's unrealistic to expect the team to catch punts.

It's not the margin of victory, it's how far this team was Saturday from the standard of performance Coach Saban clearly believes in. This was not an isolated sample, this team has been mistake prone in most games this year, it's just that Saturday was our worst performance, in my view, since 2007. If it was just a bad day, fine, I'm over it. I get that. But the penalties and turnovers keep happening. I'm not giving up on them, I'm not selling my seats, I'm not switching sides. But I ain't gonna lie and say this is a good team right now.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
All I want to know is this: How many of the fans that are being so critical are in the meetings everyday? How many of you are on the practice field daily for the WHOLE practice? How many of you know what the staff is working on every day in practice? And most importantly: how many of you have ever been contacted by the University of Alabama or any other major university for that matter to even be the water boy?
I want to win as much as any other fan on here but the fact is that sometimes it just doesn't go our way. Some of these guys (Christion Jones) seem to be making mistakes not due to lack of effort but too much effort to try to make a play.
Everyone on here has a right to your opinion, but none of us have a right to tell the coach he is screwing up in whatever way you think he is unless you are a big time coach and a consistently successful program like Coach Saban has been.
This is an absurd way of thinking.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
I've watched his little temper tandrum twice now. Jeff Speegle on ABC 33/40 said his rant was in response to a question he (Speegle) asked about seniors making mistakes.

So he really "went off" without even being baited on that particular topic.

Here's my honest reaction: I think CNS is a great coach and I'm glad he's a Bama, but I think he embarrassed himself and the University and, at the same time, disrespected good Bama fans who expect a better product than that.

I'm with CrimsonAudio on this one.
I agree that your opinion matters as much as anyone's...however, I as a fan did not feel the least bit "disrespected" by Coach's comments...and certainly don't think he embarrassed the University. JMHO & RTR

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
What good has Saban done? He's ticked off the majority of the fanbase. Writers across the nation will attack him and the fanbase over this.

If he continues to do this and continues to annoy the fanbase (which is evident), some fans won't buy apparel or attend games. How's that going to go over? Oh yeah, those fans are just entitled.
Not buy apparel or attend games? And you and I will finish neck and neck in a flying pig race.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
They don't get it....
With all due respect to all of our posters and their opinions; I am tired of all of this. CNS has the right to his opinion and all posters have the right to their individual opinions. Opinions won't change this season's outcome. If we run the table or if we finish 8-4 it is on the players making plays.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Not at all, back in the studio after a long weekend in LA, having a great day. :)

Just ready for CNS to address the team's issues instead of acting like it's our fault that we can't hold on to the ball, field a punt, or avoid stupid mental errors on the field.
Audio, I know where you're coming from, but he's been saying this same thing since he's been here, even in the national title years.
I'll say this--I've never seen so much fan negativity as this year. It started before the season, got a little better after the Florida game, and returned with a vengeance after Ole Miss and Arkansas.
One thing Coach Saban KNOWS, is that, in this day of constant communication, his players KNOW what fans and critics are saying about them. They read the papers, tweets, posts etc.
That makes the fans reactions more important than ever, because it can actually effect player attitudes in my opinion.
I mean, I don't know about everybody else, but if thousands of people told me how bad I was on a daily basis, it wouldn't exactly fire me up to try to do my job.
I think Coach Saban said what he said in defense of his team, because he knows they'll see him do it, and he's trying to turn it into a motivational positive.
He's a very smart man. He knows that fans are going to react, especially after a loss and a poor performance, so he suddenly goes on a mission to show his team how much he's in their corner, because he knows, they'll know it. They'll see the presser, or they'll read about it. It's naive to think they won't.
I think it's brilliant coaching, personally.
The players see that and they think, "Coach has our back".
Think about it. The guy's making 7 million a year, has an incredible record at Bama, and a talent base that will get better and better.
Do you really think he gives a whatever about high expectations? No.
He knew what the expectations were when he took the job, and he's performed beyond them, brilliantly.
The kicker here is, his expectations are higher than ours. Nobody wants to win championships more than Coach S.
That's what makes him the best coach in college football.
sip

tidegrandpa

All-American
In the 64 NC season, every SEC game practically was a nail biter. We were behind late in almost all except Ga, Vandy Tulane and Auburn.
Bear was praised every week, even worshiped. We won the da_n games. 65 was just as ugly but what mattered was we won. I bet everyone on this forum knows how many NC"S we have.... and yes I remember many a dropped punt, interception, fumble and even a well regarded Q'back throwing the ball out of bounds to stop the clock when it was 4th down. But we won the games that mattered. Did we not win Saturday ? I'll leave to ya'll self appointed experts to tell the coach how it should have happened
Roll Tide.

BadgerTidefan

1st Team
Dec 2, 2006
Jennings, FL
Don't believe that for a minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.