Jameis Winston signed 340 autographs for dealer...

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Come on. Give the kid a break. He just had some free time before the Clemson game when he found out he wouldn't be playing. Just decided to sign a few things as part of his "We Gonna Do it Big" community outreach program to benefit Jameis' favorite charity: Himself.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
With all that cash, there's no excuse for him not paying for his food in Publix.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Odds for next week:
stealing from retail store: 1:3
hasn't actually been going to class: 1:4
putting condoms on the antenna of FSU's president: 1:4
beating up a little girl and taking money from her lemonade stand: 1:9
Making obscene gestures at old ladies at the YMCA: 1:9
Making a bomb threat to the White House: 1:19
interrupting a church service to brag about his game on Saturday: 1:19
taking a BB gun to a movie theater and it accidentally goes off: 1:19
This would be a repeat offense

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I'll be honest: between JFF's mess last year and now Gurley and Winston being caught up in the autograph craze, it makes me uneasy. Hate to see one of our guys show up in a story like this.
Well, I've learned to never say never, but a quick glance on eBay shows 238 signed items from Winston, 188 for Todd Gurley, while TJ has 85, Amari has 79, D Henry has 57, Blake has 23. For comparison - AJ, who has been a pro for 9 months, has 212 listings.

Here's where things get really interesting. Gurley has 688(!) signed items are on completed listings on eBay in the last 30 days. Winston has 560, 129 for TJ, 116 for Amari, 135 for D Henry.

The number of Winston and Gurley stuff out there is staggering compared to anybody else I saw in CFB.

Born2Roll

3rd Team
Oct 8, 2004
Tallahassee, FL
Tweet from @darrenrovell:

"Update: James Spence Authentication has authenticated MORE THAN 900 Winston signatures, including more than 400 signed jersey #'s."

I believe Rovell is the ESPN guy that broke the Gurley story.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Winston's problem is in the details of the rule. He doesn't have to be paid to be in violation - all he had to do is sign the autographs for a person who intended to profit from them. In other words, you can't sign for free if you know that a person intends to immediately sell those items for profit.

It is clear that these were not individual items signed for separate individuals because of the way that they were authenticated (in contiguous blocks, with exactly the same merchandise signed using the same marker). Not sure how Winston gets out of this - lots more evidence here than they had for Manziel. But with today's NCAA, you never know.

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
Odds for next week:
stealing from retail store: 1:3
hasn't actually been going to class: 1:4
putting condoms on the antenna of FSU's president: 1:4
beating up a little girl and taking money from her lemonade stand: 1:9
Making obscene gestures at old ladies at the YMCA: 1:9
Making a bomb threat to the White House: 1:19
interrupting a church service to brag about his game on Saturday: 1:19
taking a BB gun to a movie theater and it accidentally goes off: 1:19
Sneezing on an airplane, and telling everyone he has Ebola :). 1:29

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Winston's problem is in the details of the rule. He doesn't have to be paid to be in violation - all he had to do is sign the autographs for a person who intended to profit from them. In other words, you can't sign for free if you know that a person intends to immediately sell those items for profit.

It is clear that these were not individual items signed for separate individuals because of the way that they were authenticated (in contiguous blocks, with exactly the same merchandise signed using the same marker). Not sure how Winston gets out of this - lots more evidence here than they had for Manziel. But with today's NCAA, you never know.
I don't think the FSU coaching staff will suspend him. Theyre all in. The NCAA is useless.

Last edited:

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
Well, I've learned to never say never, but a quick glance on eBay shows 238 signed items from Winston, 188 for Todd Gurley, while TJ has 85, Amari has 79, D Henry has 57, Blake has 23. For comparison - AJ, who has been a pro for 9 months, has 212 listings.

Here's where things get really interesting. Gurley has 688(!) signed items are on completed listings on eBay in the last 30 days. Winston has 560, 129 for TJ, 116 for Amari, 135 for D Henry.

The number of Winston and Gurley stuff out there is staggering compared to anybody else I saw in CFB.
Very insightful post.

How bad does Fisher look for letting Winston play last week while Richt suspended Gurley? I wouldn't be surprised if FSU has to forfeit their win against Syracuse.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Very insightful post.

How bad does Fisher look for letting Winston play last week while Richt suspended Gurley? I wouldn't be surprised if FSU has to forfeit their win against Syracuse.
You know it's bad when Mark Richt is being held as an example of how to discipline your players.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
just read that gurley is back at practice this week.
If I were running things at GA, I'd tell the NCAA that it is time to enforce their rules equitably of buzz off - and accompany that with a threat to sue if they do otherwise.

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
I think it is pretty obvious with the repeated infractions and careless attitude of Jameis that FSU/ Fisher is as much to blame as this young kid. Everything is no big deal and football is more important than the people Jameis continues to injure. The Jameis Winston era will end up costing FSU more than they can ever gain

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
this, IMO, is 100% the NCAA's fault

They could have nipped this in the bud last year with Manziel, they chose to fold instead. This sent a signal to the guys like Gurley and Jameis that they could get away with it too. I am sure the autograph sellers are saying "Don't worry about it, JF got off and the NCAA had video of him doing it, take the money you'll be fine." I just hope our guys are smart enough to stay clear, though news on Frietag has me concerned about their smarts

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
this, IMO, is 100% the NCAA's fault

They could have nipped this in the bud last year with Manziel, they chose to fold instead. This sent a signal to the guys like Gurley and Jameis that they could get away with it too. I am sure the autograph sellers are saying "Don't worry about it, JF got off and the NCAA had video of him doing it, take the money you'll be fine." I just hope our guys are smart enough to stay clear, though news on Frietag has me concerned about their smarts
Exactly. Racist too.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.