Still in contention - What's the big deal?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Actually Saban said that himself. Something to the effect of : I'll coach until I can't anymore and then I'll go watch ducks crap in the yard on the lake." I'm paraphrasing but something similar..
What got me so riled was that the poster said he was about ready for Saban to go watch the ducks in the yard. Like, ready for him to be gone.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Actually Saban said that himself. Something to the effect of : I'll coach until I can't anymore and then I'll go watch ducks crap in the yard on the lake." I'm paraphrasing but something similar..
I thought that was Rob Ezell. I know Ezell said it, but I didn't think he was quoting Saban.

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
Anyone suggesting that simply doesn't know how good we've got it.
Agreed. All that fuss after a win. It hasn't been that long ago that we were looking for positive things to say about a loss..... about 7 times a year! lol
I get that this team is not playing well at the moment, but we need to keep things in perspective.

LoyalAlum

Scout Team
Jun 13, 2009
Just be encouraged. Notre Dame and FSU duke it out this weekend. One of them will walk away with a loss. Bama just needs to take care of business and let other programs self destruct.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
What got me so riled was that the poster said he was about ready for Saban to go watch the ducks in the yard. Like, ready for him to be gone.
Yeah but truthfully that was one poster. Alot of folks aren't happy coach calling out the fanbase again but I think most if not all realise we are much better off with him than without. Let's beat the snot out of A&M and put this behind us...

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
Ehh...we are spoiled fans and lots of recent success doesn't help but aggravate the situation. Anyone remember during the Shula or Dubose days? I was just happy we were in the discussion for a BCS bowl every once in awhile. Maybe get a player or two drafted in the third round. Now we are always in the NC and SEC Champ discussion all year - every year. And it is not enough! Winning is like crack cocaine - and Saban is the biggest pusher. Now we can't get enough of it and some of the newer (bandwagon) fans are going into withdrawal. Note - I do not say the fan base, as the fan base are the folks who rode through the tough times.
I do. I was on campus during the DuBose debacle. We were happy to go to the Music City Bowl in 98, after going 3-8 the year before.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
It's possible to be very happy with Saban's overall performance at Bama without giving him blanket approval for everything he says or does. It is also possible to appreciate the success he's brought to Bama while at the same time not appreciating his recently negative attitude towards the fans.

One guy makes a crack playing on Saban's remarks about watching ducks and that's blown up into claiming some Bama fans actually want Saban gone. I think that claim is way off-base, and it puts the Bama fan base in a very negative light.

Cecil, yesterday in his interview, said if Saban is going to keep on being mad at the fans over high expectations then it's going to be an issue as long as he stays because the Bama fan base is what it is. Saban was well aware of the Bama fans' extreme interest in the program from the start, I'm sorry to see him twist that into a negative.

But that certainly doesn't mean I'm in favor of changing the coach out.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I'm just done with his harping on the fan base. I'm more than fine with us finishing 8-4 this year, if that's the best we can do in a rebuilding year (which this is). I grew up during the DuBose/fRAN/Price/Shula debacle. I'm fully aware of what bad football looks like, and that's part of the problem. Here lately, I could've sworn that was Mike DuBose on the sideline the way we were playing.

So yeah, we're still in contention. Yes, I still believe Coach Saban is the best coach out there. I haven't said the first negative word about a player, and I won't. Frankly, Coach Saban is the only coach on the staff I've been critical of, and that was after yesterday's nonsense at his press conference. Even the best can be wrong, and he was yesterday.

I don't mind those of you who seem to want to call someone like me an idiot for feeling the way I do about Coach's behavior towards the fans. But I disagree that we've got any real fans out there wishing for his firing.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
There's a lot of people putting words in my mouth instead of really reading what I said in the other thread. I didn't say he 'should' be fired or that I 'want' him fired. I was implying that IF HE decided of his own accord to basically 'retire' that at this point I'd be fine with it.

Him using the media as a punching bag was entertaining but lately he's trying to make the fanbase the villain. He doesn't even preface statements with 'some' fans...he just lumps us all together as equally bad and unsupportive.

So when I'm (on a weekly basis) taking entire Saturday's to drive round trip 7 hours to T-Town to scream my guts out in support of the team...I REALLY don't care to come home and hear about how the fanbase (implied collectively) ticks him off. I may voice aggravation with regards to sloppy play here but AT the game I'm supportively trying to encourage the players.

I get that he's trying to show unity and that he is standing up for his team but why attack the fans? The media is just as critical so he could accomplish the same thing in making them the bad guy.

For a long time I've been fine with him verbally biting the hand that feeds him and so has most everyone else but I'm kind of tired of it now. That's it...he needs another punching bag besides the people who actually do support his teams win or lose.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Him using the media as a punching bag was entertaining but lately he's trying to make the fanbase the villain. He doesn't even preface statements with 'some' fans...he just lumps us all together as equally bad and unsupportive.

So when I'm (on a weekly basis) taking entire Saturday's to drive round trip 7 hours to T-Town to scream my guts out in support of the team...I REALLY don't care to come home and here about how the fanbase (implied collectively) ticks him off. I may voice aggravation with regards to sloppy play here but AT the game I'm supportively trying to encourage the players.
saban's comments only affect you to the level that you let them affect you. if they bother you that bad, it may be time to stop listening to them/reading them.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
There's a lot of people putting words in my mouth instead of really reading what I said in the other thread. I didn't say he 'should' be fired or the I 'want' him fired. I was implying that IF HE decided of his own accord to basically 'retire' that at this point I'd be fine with it.

So when I'm (on a weekly basis) taking entire Saturday's to drive round trip 7 hours to T-Town to scream my guts out in support of the team...I REALLY don't care to come home and here about how the fanbase (implied collectively) ticks him off. I may voice aggravation with regards to sloppy play here but AT the game I'm supportively trying to encourage the players.

I get that he's trying to show unity and that he is standing up for his team by why attack the fans? The media is just as critical so he could accomplish the same thing in making them the bad guy.

For a long time I've been fine with him verbally biting the hand that feeds him and so has most everyone else but I'm kind of tired of it now. That's it...he needs another punching bag besides the people who actually do support his teams win or lose.
Many coaches would be thrilled to coach at a school where the fan base travels to games like the Bama fans do. Woe is me, as a loyal fan I'm starting to feel underappreciated...but I'm sure I'll get over it. :smile:

Back to the topic...I'm not betting against the team running the table from here on out...stranger things have happened...we do have a talented team with good coaching...woops, I'm not sure if we are supposed to be optimistic or realistic...things can get confusing.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
It's possible to be very happy with Saban's overall performance at Bama without giving him blanket approval for everything he says or does. It is also possible to appreciate the success he's brought to Bama while at the same time not appreciating his recently negative attitude towards the fans.

One guy makes a crack playing on Saban's remarks about watching ducks and that's blown up into claiming some Bama fans actually want Saban gone. I think that claim is way off-base, and it puts the Bama fan base in a very negative light.

Cecil, yesterday in his interview, said if Saban is going to keep on being mad at the fans over high expectations then it's going to be an issue as long as he stays because the Bama fan base is what it is. Saban was well aware of the Bama fans' extreme interest in the program from the start, I'm sorry to see him twist that into a negative.

But that certainly doesn't mean I'm in favor of changing the coach out.
I agree with you. I certainly don't want Coach Saban to be fired or for him to leave but I don't see why he feels the need to attack the fanbase. There are several contradictions in his rant about the fanbase.

1. He is always talking about clutter and tuning it out and focusing on the getting better each day. He is clearly not doing that when he is addressing fans expectations. I have no idea who he spoke to that had too high of expectations for the team but to me that is clutter. Him acknowledging it to me just sends the message to the players that they should pay attention to what is being said.

2. As Cecil said the expectations of Bama fans were high even before he took us to the pinnacle of college football, this was known.

3. Having read Saban's book he constantly talks about avoiding result oriented thinking. An example of that would be looking at the Arkansas game and saying well a win is a win. He would never support that type of thought, this is a man who is upset when we win games by 40. I don't think any Bama fans are unhappy with the fact that we won the game on Saturday by only 1 point. I think fans are upset that our team is not playing to the standard set by Saban. Bama fans have been accustomed to a style of play and mentality that comes from the top down, we aren't seeing that this year and thus the frustration.

4. His rant before this was calling out the media for not focusing on all of the turnovers and penalties after the Florida game (it wasn't even accurate as several had written articles about it). To me all that the fanbase is frustrated with is overall sloppy play. How can he criticize us out of one side of his mouth for not acknolwedging the flaws on the team prior to the loss and then come back and criticize us for having too high of expecations. It is a total contradiction.

I have full faith in Coach Saban to right the ship. I also realize that we might not be able to do it this year for a number of reasons. I just don't see his point in criticizing the fans that are fully supportive, have given him whatever he wants, and have helped to lift him to the top of college football.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.