Mike Slive to retire in July 2015

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I know Mike Slive has done a tremendous amount for the conference in his tenure in terms of conference strength and growth, revenues, marketing, etc. and I can appreciate that. However, I will not be one to say that I am sad to see him go. From the day he was first hired to replace Roy Kramer and when I heard the first interview with him on WJOX, I just never felt like I could trust him. He was far too "lawyerly" for my tastes (no offense intended toward those in the legal profession here). I felt like he was always he trying to slide something past me or distracted me while he picked my pocket.

With that being said, I wish only the best for him in retirement and continued battle with prostate cancer.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Do we TideFans need to start the hiring process by looking at resumes.

We need someone who can take the SEC to the next level of excellence. Look for someone who has a comparable background to what Slive had.

My first recommendation would be Condi Rice. She's wanted to be the NFL Commissioner. This is an even better position.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Well guys, I'm going to turn this position down for two reasons:
1. my age
2. my name on TideFans could have an adverse effect on my appointment, esp. outside of most of Alabama.

However, I do think that I could improve a lot of things in the SEC, starting with officiating and moving on from there.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
For the last 24+ years we've operated under incompetent fools as acting commissioners - people who only did what was good for the 'SEC' rather than that was ethically right. I hope that that trend is reversed, but somehow doubt it will be - the schools that have benefitted from this terrible 'leadership' will clamor for more of the same.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The two matters he was responsible for - the Cam matter has been mentioned, but he also wanted to throw us under the bus on the textbook issue and propose sanctions stiffer than what we'd self-imposed, forcing us to send a crew to Indy and go over his head. The man was no fan of Bama's, except when we were raking in money for the conference. I'm like CA. I'd like to see a little more ethical leadership and a little less obsession with the dollar. I'm not holding my breath...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.