3 Way Tie in SEC West!

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Ok guys from what I can figure out if we win out and finish in a three way tie with the two MS schools it all comes down to the SEC records of our two cross divisional foes.

Which means we need UF to have a better SEC record than Vandy and UK to have a better record than TN. If this happens it will drop Ol Miss from the 3 way tie leaving a two way tie between us and MSU and we won Head to Head and would go to the SEC championship.

So pull against all TN schools and we would get the bid with a 3 way tie.

Long way to go but interesting to look at now.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
So consider that a second SEC team could be eliminated from the 4 team playoff because "they didn't win their conference" due to the results of a coin toss?

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
So consider that a second SEC team could be eliminated from the 4 team playoff because "they didn't win their conference" due to the results of a coin toss?
Dont worry. Not likely to happen at this point with AU losing last week. Mr Clay's scenario was prior to AU losing. We win out, MSU beats Ol Miss we are good. Only possible kinks would be for Vandy to win 2+ SEC games and TN win more than UK. Not likely. Pull like heck against all TN teams. Not too hard to stomach IMO.

Last edited:

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Dont worry. Not likely to happen at this point with AU losing last week. Mr Clay's scenario was prior to AU losing. We win out, MSU beats Ol Miss we are good. Only possible kinks would be for Vandy to win 2+ SEC games and TN win more than UK. Not likely. Pull like heck against all TN teams. Not to hard to stomach IMO.
My concern would be more that we win out but no one other than MSU beats Ole Sis. Of course we need to get it to together a bit at this point to even have this to worry about.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
My concern would be more that we win out but no one other than MSU beats Ole Sis. Of course we need to get it to together a bit at this point to even have this to worry about.
MSU is all we need to beat ole Miss. And MSU not lose other than to us.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
One thing that happens year in and year out is that teams find themselves under the national spotlight and they crumble under the weight of it. Neither MSU nor UM is accustomed to being under that light. It would be shocking to me if both made it into late November undefeated. Add to that the difficulty in the psychological switch between being the hunter vs the hunted and things get really, really tough with every passing week.

Nevermind that Alabama, right now, in no way resembles a team that can run the gauntlet in front of us.

I think that at least 1, and likely 2 of the 3 teams will end up with 2 losses.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I still think we make it if we win out and OM wins out. We would be the highest ranked 1 loss team. I just don't see how we wouldn't make it if we win out regardless of what else happens..

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I still think we make it if we win out and OM wins out. We would be the highest ranked 1 loss team. I just don't see how we wouldn't make it if we win out regardless of what else happens..
Into the 4 team playoff...maybe...but not guaranteed.

The three way tie, as explained above, is probably our best shot because I don't see OM losing twice from here on out. This way, if we go to the SECCG, we, without doubt, control our destiny (assuming we only have the loss to OM).

To the OP, thanks for posting this cause I've been wondering what might happen with three teams tied like this. We probably don't have to worry about Vandy and this is a good year for UK to be better than UT.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

The three way tie, as explained above, is probably our best shot because I don't see OM losing twice from here on out. This way, if we go to the SECCG, we, without doubt, control our destiny (assuming we only have the loss to OM).

To the OP, thanks for posting this cause I've been wondering what might happen with three teams tied like this. We probably don't have to worry about Vandy and this is a good year for UK to be better than UT.
Yea. It's way to early to prognosticate with any accuracy. There is still a lot of football left to be played. I just think we would almost be a lock to get in if we run the table. Of course as you say it would depend on what all the other teams do also..

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

You may be right, but it wouldn't surprise me to see AU and MSU beat Ole Miss either.

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama
In a 3-way tie with the Mississippi schools we would have this, right?
Alabama > Miss State
Ole Miss > Alabama
Miss State > Ole Miss

How would this favor us going to the SEC CG? I'm not sure I understand. But then again, I'm not the sharpest knife in the kitchen.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
In a 3-way tie with the Mississippi schools we would have this, right?
Alabama > Miss State
Ole Miss > Alabama
Miss State > Ole Miss

How would this favor us going to the SEC CG? I'm not sure I understand. But then again, I'm not the sharpest knife in the kitchen.
Did you read the link posted earlier in the thread?

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
There will not be a three way tie. Bama is going to win out, Ole Miss is going to lose to Auburn and Miss State, and Bama will then have the tie breaker over Miss State because Bama beat them.

We beat UGA in the SEC Championship game and then go to the 4 team playoff.

RTR all the way.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
There will not be a three way tie. Bama is going to win out, Ole Miss is going to lose to Auburn and Miss State, and Bama will then have the tie breaker over Miss State because Bama beat them.

We beat UGA in the SEC Championship game and then go to the 4 team playoff.

RTR all the way.
I don't think uga makes it to the seccg, jmho

rolltiderman

Scout Team
Aug 20, 2005
I'm still cautiously optimistic. It will depend on how we come back this week. If we struggle, then I say we lose at least one and probably two more. The Arky game was tough to swallow, but a W is a W. However, I was talking to my dad today and he reminded me of 2009 when we didn't play so hot in a few games and barely made it. If we win, all will be forgotten. I actually see Kentucky winning the East...yes I said Kentucky. I see Ole Miss losing to Auburn and Miss State, but will not bother me if they lost more than those. I don't see a three way tie.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.