Coach Saban's comments affect me

Go For 16

Jan 11, 2014
This is the first thread that I started and I hope the title is appropriate and not a teaser as well as hope that it is on the correct board.

I read with interest Coach's comments in the article on special teams/Ro and Dallas. I kept returning to the part about Ro and his recent success.

Basically, I understood him to be saying that you have to have your mind clear and focused as it relates to the task at hand and you have to deal with issues that interfere with that. Coach's comments have had an effect on me as it relates to decisions that I need to make concerning the church that I am attending.

I went online to read a football message board about my Bama boys and leave, more at peace than I have been in weeks about a personal matter.

Have any of you had situations where Coach Saban's comments/thoughts affected you in your personal lives?

Words have meaning... i wish I could thank you personally Coach!!

Roll Tide!

chuaner

Scout Team
Aug 26, 2008
i think I started to use a lot of words: relentless, perseverance, integrity, adversity, etc...

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
A few of his phrases I try to apply, though in some cases I know they are not original with him.

One about identifying and eliminating "clutter" so you can succeed.

There is another about the "blinking lights" that draw your attention to small problems and cause you to miss all the things that are going right.

Another about feel, felt, found out.

CrimsonDollar

1st Team
Apr 9, 2006
Chattanooga, TN
Look, a'ight. I don't use any of the terminology Coach uses. I just do what I need to do to improve relative to my recent progress and focus on what Is needed in order to be successful. The rest is just clutter.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
A few of his phrases I try to apply, though in some cases I know they are not original with him.

One about identifying and eliminating "clutter" so you can succeed.

There is another about the "blinking lights" that draw your attention to small problems and cause you to miss all the things that are going right.

Another about feel, felt, found out.
I agree with you on that. I have tried not to allow "clutter" and other people's "drama" weigh me down.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Well, I've enjoyed the championships, so I got that going for me, which is nice.

Craxycat

All-SEC
Apr 24, 2009
I figure that if there ain't a drinking game relative to coach using 'relative' then IDK what's wrong with the world these days ;)

Almost like #BlameJameis tag on twitter it should be....Coach said relative 'Drink' ;) if I drank that would be so what I'd do promise ya that.

Last edited:

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I also find myself borrowing phrases from coach, and has actually benefitted me personally in my career as a weld inspector in terms of communication. From a mentality standpoint he really helped me realize how to find what's important to myself and how to set lofty goals and see those goals through. When he speaks about how to obtain success and how to take care of your personal life, and only worry about the things in your control and to forget about the outside influences, The mess will generally take care of itself.

These pieces of coaching and advice may lead to success on the field but it also rings so very true for those of us off the field in terms of every day life. I'm so envious of those who get to listen to coach talk all day, because from just what I have heard from his press conferences and what I read in his book, I have learned so much. The man is so very wise, and I'm so grateful he is our Head coach! Roll Tide

Last edited:

JQBama42

Scout Team
Sep 24, 2014
Enid, OK
I coach 5th and 6th grade football and at times I catch myself saying some Coach Sabanisms. The kids don't seem to really grasp the meaning of some of these, relative to their responsibilities on the field. I do stop short of talking about making the other team's a** quit though, out of courtesy for their parents. :)

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
I use a few Sabanisms....or at least the philosophy behind them. I have elementary/middle school kids so I do talk to them a lot about staying focused on their job (school) and not letting others influence them/distract them from their goals. For now, though, I'm probably more well versed in Bryantisms, Clintonisms, Jordanisms, and Carlinisms.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i try my best not to expend energy on things over which i have no control (aka clutter), which also includes other folks' anxiety, drama, etc.

its something i've always tried to do anyway, but i do think about some of saban's "process" when reminding myself of this.

just for context: i also used to think about mtxe and hold the rope to get my mind back right while suffering on long training runs. i switched to thinking about ice cream after the 2002 season.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
i try my best not to expend energy on things over which i have no control (aka clutter), which also includes other folks' anxiety, drama, etc.

its something i've always tried to do anyway, but i do think about some of saban's "process" when reminding myself of this.

just for context: i also used to think about mtxe and hold the rope to get my mind back right while suffering on long training runs. i switched to thinking about ice cream after the 2002 season.
When I found myself clapping after my screw ups, I knew I was letting myself be influenced too heavily by the Coach at the time.

At least I don't have to worry about that nowadays.

h2o

1st Team
Dec 31, 2006
Winfield, Alabama
I remember Holly Rowe saying one time how she has changed her way of sideline reporting and preparation because of what Coach Saban has said. Me personally, we joke around about it at work all the time.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.