What should Saban/ Bobby Williams plan be for special teams?

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
1.) Kickoff- The high hang time kick to the 5 yard line has worked well most of the season. How do we reinforce lane responsbility/ rush to contain?
2.) Kick Return- This used to be a strength but recently has been nothing special. Is it personnel, blocking, or scheme?
3.) Field Goals- What is going on with Adam Griffith? At what point do we just go for it once we are inside our own 40 yard line?
4.) Punt Return- How do we return to last years form? This too used to be a strength. Is it personnel or is it scheme?
5.) Punting- JK Scott is AWESOME! Should we kick away from Speedy Noil (SP?)

Last edited:

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
With the injuries seeming to be never ending, I hope we kick it through the end zone.

With our ball security issues, I hope we let every kickoff to us hit the end zone.

Score touchdowns, work on extra points....

Punt returns....I hope we fair catch every one.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
In general, I'd say our players have regressed. Adam Griffith has just plummeted. Christion Jones has clearly regressed this year.

I'm surprised we haven't seen Bradley Sylve on returns yet. After watching him in whatever HS All-American game he played in, I was really excited about him returning kicks for us. He returned a kickoff for a TD in that game (which I know is different from college).

JK Scott just needs to learn how to kick off a tee so he can do kickoffs too. Kick everything to the end zone.

BamaDynasty

Scout Team
May 9, 2003
Smyrna,GA,USA
CNS wouldn't seem to be a guy who lets even close friendship blind him from making a change, BUT if SS don't improve the rest of this year and costs us a game or two down the stretch it seems reasonable he gets Bobby to take a different role. He recommended BW for the MSU job in 1999 (a big deal and a big break for Bobby back then). But the last few years there has been 1 or 2 areas that Alabama is simply horrible at performing. Hoping for the best and we get it turned around these next few critical games.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
I don't think we have a problem with how they are coached. I think they are trying too hard to make the BIG play. They need to loosen up a bit.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
i tink C.Jones is battling injuries.... or have lot going on his life that's affecting his performance on the field that we dont know about. I think C. Jones needs just to stop trying to make extra play. Secure the ball and go down when it's needed. The kick off coverage was due to lot of young people on the ST. To address that issue, the veteran will particpate in that... So we shouldn't have any issue with this.

Griffth- HE has been and miss at times... so he can all of suddenly kick 100 percent this weekend.. and next week 30 percent. It's really his mindset that needs working.

Fair catches- It really depends. Its the mindset thats at issue...

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
If the Aggies kick the ball into the end zone, just take the ball on the 25 yard line instead of running it back to the 12 to 15 yard line.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I would not attempt any 48+ yard field goals. If we are in that area on the field decide on 3rd down to either go for it on 4th or punt and call the 3rd down play with that decision in mind..

B

BamaJ

I don't think we have a problem with how they are coached. I think they are trying too hard to make the BIG play. They need to loosen up a bit.
This 1 million times. I think these boys need to chill out and the coaches need to chill them out. "You're not going to lose your position, just relax. You're fine. Remember last year. Just catch the ball and run with it and hold on to it. Just like you've done until this season. Settle down."

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
With the injuries seeming to be never ending, I hope we kick it through the end zone.

With our ball security issues, I hope we let every kickoff to us hit the end zone.

Score touchdowns, work on extra points....

Punt returns....I hope we fair catch every one.
I've seen that statement a lot on here lately. As long as we're going to keep putting the same people back there and hoping for different results then yes, I agree. But I would hope we have someone who can catch and hold onto the ball and make the punt return part of our game again. A positive part!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.