Sports Ill. thinks Bama is at Low Tide....

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The first and last Dubose year, half of the Shula years . . . That was low Tide, and it wasn't all that far in the past. This isn't even close to low Tide.

Eighty percent of schools playing football would like to have our "problems."
Try 97%...

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Now that that proverbial X is off our Boys backs, maybe they won't play so dang tight, and go out there & have fun playing football..When they do that..There's not a better football team in the country..Just let 'em play football without the expectations of NC's riding on each game, I don't care how good you are, that kinda pressure will beat the best of the best with that kinda expectations each game..

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
So we are 5-1 and they say that? I remember when we started 1-4 in 1984 and they printed this one:

It's ebb Tide, and the fans are restless

Now I know Earle remembers the "very lean" times! I always thought Coach Perkins could do the job and so did Coach Bryant, but he wasn't really given enough time. I thought this was a great part of the story.

Those who don't like Perkins have a litany of complaints: He took down Bear's famed coaching tower; he changed the helmet color from crimson to white; he retained only one of the Bear's offensive assistants; he locked doors that previously had been left open; he isn't good about returning phone calls; he changed the offense from the beloved wishbone to the pro-set; he replaced the veteran radio play-by-play man; he replaced the veteran trainer with a 32-year-old sports-medicine expert. Perkins obviously had every right to make all of those changes, but they left the impression of a man rehabilitating a program nobody thought needed rehabilitating. None of this would matter if Perkins were winning. The point is, he has tried to get out from under the Bryant shadow too quickly. "All he had to do," says one Tide fan, "was come in and be nice to people."
I always thought this part of the article was hilarious!

A longtime supporter says, "If Perkins found out there was one person in this state who still liked him, he'd call him up and tick him off." A doctor in Sylacauga wrote a letter to a local paper that said, in part, "...the ultimate loss is being saddled with a head coach...with the personality of a silicon chip."
I don't pay much mind to the tabloids or the fans.

Last edited:

bama119

1st Team
Aug 4, 2001
Eufaula, Al.
If this is low tide, your low tide is a lot better than most teams will ever achieve when they reach high tide. Perspective
Very True. Bama is 5-1 with a close loss to a top 5 team. Most teams would be happy, but EVerybody wants to know what is wrong with Alabama. It is GREAT being a Baama fan.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Easy explanation: The writer, Zac Ellis, is a UTenn grad. He was a journalism student during the Fulmer years and would love to see Bama fall.
Ellis isn't alone. I'd bet a lot of money that second only to Notre Dame, Alabama is the most hated program in the country. Since ND's been down for so long, and we've been so dominant, I wouldn't be at all surprised for us to be #1.

People love to hate the perennial champs -- the NY Yankees, Man United soccer, Duke (college) and Boston (pro) basketball. And Alabama and Notre Dame college football. It's really more envy than anything else.

I remember when we were the objects of sympathy and head-shaking nostalgia, and it wasn't long ago. It's great to be hated and envied.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Ellis isn't alone. I'd bet a lot of money that second only to Notre Dame, Alabama is the most hated program in the country. Since ND's been down for so long, and we've been so dominant, I wouldn't be at all surprised for us to be #1.

People love to hate the perennial champs -- the NY Yankees, Man United soccer, Duke (college) and Boston (pro) basketball. And Alabama and Notre Dame college football. It's really more envy than anything else.

I remember when we were the objects of sympathy and head-shaking nostalgia, and it wasn't long ago. It's great to be hated and envied.
It' s OK to be hated, at least your doing something that has people thinking about you!

Last edited:

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
We posssibly could lose 2 more games but I don't see it. We have a team that is young in critical spots and we're a lil dinged up but this is one of the most talent laden teams I have ever witnessed from a college football team. We may not win it all this year but I sure do like our chances and even if we don't win it all, we still are a force to be reckoned with. If I could change anything next year I would possibly try and get Coach Christobal some help coaching up the 'O' line, he's got the recruiting thing down pat and we are gonna be tough again next year.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I was probably too conservative. Split the difference at 88.5%? :wink:

The more I think about it, over 90 percent is more like reality.
I would take this Bama team over any previous to Saban going back to Coach Stallings. Why? Because I trust the coaching staff and I know they will show improvement. It might be by the end of the year or it may show next year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.