3 inmates die of relatively minor ailments in Huntsville

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
What's up Madison County? Death from Constipation, really?

Each argues that Madison County withholds the most basic medical care in order to save money, banking on the insurance of the medical contractor to cover any resulting lawsuits.

The lawsuits are filled with maladies long ago conquered by modern medicine. Death by gangrene, from broken bones, from constipation.
http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2014/10/gangrene_and_broken_bones_kill.html

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
It is hard to tell from the information given what is going on. On the surface it would appear the prisoners are being abused and medical care is being withheld. On the other hand, so many prisoners have abused drugs and neglected their own care, they may have been in dire situations before they were jailed. The possibility of frivolous law suits is also there.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
It is hard to tell from the information given what is going on. On the surface it would appear the prisoners are being abused and medical care is being withheld. On the other hand, so many prisoners have abused drugs and neglected their own care, they may have been in dire situations before they were jailed. The possibility of frivolous law suits is also there.
From what I've seen, this is fairly typical of drug abusers throughout society, jailed or not. Then once they are jailed, the drugs start to wear off if for no other reason than they can't get to their next hit. Then the other ailments finally start becoming more obvious. In some cases, what medical care they do receive can be 'too little, too late'.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Either way, you don't let someone go from awake and alert to lethargic to obtunded to unresponsive without getting them to a hospital. You don't see someone whose foot is rotting off and spray them down with a hosepipe and not get them medical care. You don't let someone go for 13 days without a bowel movement and with abdominal pain and vomiting without getting them medical care, including checking for an obvious case of ileus vs obstruction that a CT scan will help differentiate in a matter of minutes. You don't allow someone in alcohol withdrawal to have seizures and then allow them to fall and with her in an altered mental state not assess closely for injuries from said fall and x-ray apparent sites of injury. Alcohol withdrawal in and of itself warrants hospitalization for medical management. Every single one of these cases is on the surface a clear cut case for negligent homicide and medical malpractice.

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
This doesn't surprise me, nor is it anything new. There are several cases through the years that you never hear of in the media. My estranged wife worked there in the central control a while back. Her job was to open/close the cell block doors via the central control office, and to monitor the cameras inside the jail. Without going into detail, because there may still be possible litigation involved in one case, lets just say sometimes, (especially if the inmate has a prior history of being unruly) alerts of inmates in possibly medical distress go ignored for hours, pushing it off on the shift change.

She went from being the most praised clerk (her job IMO was one of the, if not THE most important one there).......To being pushed out of the job by superiors, because she would not conspire with and "get her story straight with the other officers" about an incident which an inmate died.

Doesn't surprise me a bit.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
If the jailors are guilty of what it appears in the article, they should be on the other side of the bars soon. No one should be treated that way. If not, no attorney should be enriched in this case.

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
If the jailors are guilty of what it appears in the article, they should be on the other side of the bars soon. No one should be treated that way. If not, no attorney should be enriched in this case.
My wife went from speaking highly of LEO's when she first started the job,(yet another thing we didn't agree on) to actually saying she wasn't sure which side of the bars the actual criminals were on....

Things that went on there (night shift), you'd think could only happen in a State/Federal penitentiary, not a county jail, from the inmates and officers alike. I hated she took that job from day one, but she finally got to see what I've seen and have known for years about a large majority of police officers.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.