Game Thread: ND-FSU

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I truly despise Jimbo Fisher more than any coach I have watched in my 52 years on this earth. His speech at the end of the game was disgusting- class ,integrity and character? That is how he describes his program? I think he may be the most morally corrupt coach that I have ever seen- I will go out of my way to find a FSU fan in the next few days just to share my sentiments.
Ditto this. Watched Some of the post game presser and felt dirty. I have ZERO respect for that tool.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Ok, one last shot and then I'll shut up. Part of impetus for playoff was a team which didn't win it's own division got into champ game. Everybody wins out. They will select a team which finished no better than second in their division over the media darling domers. Really?
I'm one of the most outspoken critics of a playoff around here, and I despise the committee. However, I've read their criteria and what not, and if they choose to ignore it, merely to play favorites for no logical reason other than an overt agenda, they'll erode what little confidence and respect they have. I don't think they have the nerve to do that, at least not yet. 10 years down the road, when the whole playoff zombie thing has fully taken hold? Perhaps...

I'll throw another one out there, if Baylor wins out, and wins the Big 12, they'll have to take Alabama over them, assuming Alabama wins out as well. Yes, they list conference championships and I'll assume they hold that in highest esteem, but they also list injuries (Alabama suffered a couple major ones against Ole Miss), SoS (Alabama will be in the top 10), and common opponents as criteria. So, for instance if they were to choose Baylor over Alabama, they'd have to say sure, Alabama has 3 out of 4 but only one of those really matters. They can, sure... but they can't do that and pretend they have any legitimacy.

Last edited:

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
Like some other posters stated if you have to mention integrity and class an so on, to defend your team because of public perception then you may want to really look at the program starting with yourself to see if the public is right.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I'm one of the most outspoken critics of a playoff around here, and I despise the committee. However, I've read their criteria and what not, and if they choose to ignore it, merely to play favorites for no logical reason other than an overt agenda, they'll erode what little confidence and respect they have. I don't think they have the nerve to do that, at least not yet. 10 years down the road, when the whole playoff zombie thing has fully taken hold? Perhaps...

I'll throw another one out there, if Baylor wins out, and wins the Big 12, they'll have to take Alabama over them, assuming Alabama wins out as well. Yes, they list conference championships and I'll assume they hold that in highest esteem, but they also list injuries (Alabama suffered a couple major ones against Ole Miss), SoS (Alabama will be in the top 10), and common opponents as criteria. So, for instance if they were to choose Baylor over Alabama, they'd have to say sure, Alabama has 3 out of 4 but only one of those really matters. They can, sure... but they can't do that and pretend they have any legitimacy.
I agree with you on pretty much all points related to the playoff. Reading this post got me thinking though: if they are going to make up silly criteria like taking injuries into account, who is to stop them from taking controversial calls into account? Honestly, I can just see them using that as an excuse just to include ND. Let's not forget this is the same team that had a special exemption with the BCS that guaranteed their playing in a BCS bowl if they had 9 wins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Hate to see the officials decide a game, but the call was legit. Neither of the recevers ran a route or even attempted to disengage. They both attacked their assigned DB and maintained contact all the way through the play.

If this remains ND's only loss, they likely make it into the field of four.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
If it was up to a committee today, I believe two SEC teams make it in the top four (MSST and OM, along with Florida State and Michigan State). This is not because I think that the latter two teams could beat AU or Alabama, but because they would be conference champs and would likely get a committee nod over the third and fourth place teams of a division. Another problem is that the top 4 SEC West teams still play each other quite a bit over the next 2 months and will ensure more losses to make the choice of only two from the division seem more legitimate. My PERSONAL choice for the best 4 teams in the country would be MSST, OM, Bama, and AU but I just can't see a way for more than two teams making it for the reasons listed above.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Hate to see the officials decide a game, but the call was legit. Neither of the recevers ran a route or even attempted to disengage. They both attacked their assigned DB and maintained contact all the way through the play.
I agree completely. Stupid, stupid stupid on the part of the ND receivers. And, it wasn't even necessary. Nobody had Robinson on the play.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
What is upsetting to me is that Notre Dame isn't that good of a team. They aren't much different than they were in 2012. They are slow and lack athleticism. That game last night was more of an indictment of how much Florida State has fallen from last year than anything else. And now Florida State won't play another team with a pulse for the rest of the year. Louisville? Please.

This Notre Dame team does not deserve to be mentioned among the 4 best teams in the country. I'm not sure who they play the rest of the way other than USC. Hopefully USC beats them and ends that conversation.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002

Baylor lost.

Football changes and so do people. - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Corey Robinson isn't slow or unathletic. His continued development points towards prototypical pass catching NFL TE.

Athleticism wasn't ND's biggest problem last night...they didn't finish a few drives and that left the door open.

WishIwasInBama

1st Team
Jul 17, 2005
Okinawa Japan
I know I am late to the thread but I really didn’t see it as a pick or pass interference. In my mind an illegal pick would be taking the defender out of a route he was already taking and this was like a bump and run that never stopped. The defender was not trying to get to the open receiver, he was guarding the guy straight up (at least thats what it looked like to me). What is really confusing to me is how is pass interference an 18 yard penalty? They went from the 2 to the 18 with the PI happening in the end zone right? I don’t really care for ND or FSU but I just didn’t get it.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I know I am late to the thread but I really didn’t see it as a pick or pass interference. In my mind an illegal pick would be taking the defender out of a route he was already taking and this was like a bump and run that never stopped. The defender was not trying to get to the open receiver, he was guarding the guy straight up (at least thats what it looked like to me). What is really confusing to me is how is pass interference an 18 yard penalty? They went from the 2 to the 18 with the PI happening in the end zone right? I don’t really care for ND or FSU but I just didn’t get it.
After watching again, I agree!

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
Golson should have known what was in front of him and just run it in. The dude that caught the ball would have been the key to him scoring. Very puzzling.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
I've been watching the replays of the PI play, and the more I watch it, the less I think it should have been a penalty. Both WRs got jammed at the line and neither had their hands up for long. Prosise (i think) even drops his hands. The only awkward thing about it was the way he's leaning forward, but he does indeed open up at the last second like he's expecting a potential pass. The Seminoles would have given up a TD regardless of whether they were "interfered" with.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I've been watching the replays of the PI play, and the more I watch it, the less I think it should have been a penalty. Both WRs got jammed at the line and neither had their hands up for long. Prosise (i think) even drops his hands. The only awkward thing about it was the way he's leaning forward, but he does indeed open up at the last second like he's expecting a potential pass. The Seminoles would have given up a TD regardless of whether they were "interfered" with.

I do agree with the bolded, but I definitely think they were blocking before he ever caught it. If they would have just ran routes or something they could have gotten away with it, but not the way they did it. The touchdown was way to easy.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
[/B]I do agree with the bolded, but I definitely think they were blocking before he ever caught it. If they would have just ran routes or something they could have gotten away with it, but not the way they did it. The touchdown was way to easy.

That's what I thought yesterday, but I've watched it about 30x today and like I said, the more I see, the more I think that FSU had a bad defense called and the CB's jammed, then "sold" interference when they saw what was happening. I don't think the WRs were actively blocking them away. They're entitled to their space, and if jammed, then there would be some physical contact anyway. Not that this changes anything, of course.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
That's what I thought yesterday, but I've watched it about 30x today and like I said, the more I see, the more I think that FSU had a bad defense called and the CB's jammed, then "sold" interference when they saw what was happening. I don't think the WRs were actively blocking them away. They're entitled to their space, and if jammed, then there would be some physical contact anyway. Not that this changes anything, of course.
I don't buy it. If a receiver wants to get past a DB, he does not bring his arms inside the shoulderpads of the DB. If there is contact, the receiver immediately tries to get past the DB. DBs are trained to run through receivers on these plays, and receivers are trained to get off the DB.

No matter how you look at it one thing is clear - that pass was designed to go to only one player. The other receivers did not run routes, or attempt to run routes. From that close to the goal line, with 2 receivers and a TE to the right side of the formation, the receivers should all be running different routes to create space. Instead the two receivers ran straight at their DBs, put their arms inside the shoulder pads of those DBs and tried to run through them - only about 2 yards apart. This simply does not happen if either of those receivers is running a route designed to get them open. Why? Because they were not supposed to get open. Then were supposed to clog up the field and prevent a DB from getting over to the sideline to defend the only guy running a real pass pattern on that play.

If this was allowed it could not be defended and would result in a TD 90+ percent of the time.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.