COEUR D’ALENE, ID officials forcing Christian minister to perform same sex weddings

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Re: COEUR D’ALENE, ID officials forcing Christian minister to perform same sex we...

Let marriage be what it is supposed to be - a religious act. If the same sex couple can find someone to marry them - great! If they can't because the churches do not agree - that is 100% the church's right to do so.
um which religion would that be? You know for example that marriage pre-dates Christianity right?

BamaHoHo

All-American
Aug 7, 2007
Coaling, Alabama, United States
I'm a full-time minister. Nope, I would go to jail before I would do the ceremony. When it comes to homosexual marriage, I take a live and let live approach. Find someone that agrees with your lifestyle and get them to do the ceremony. I'm sure you could find someone who is ordained. I (or any other who disagrees) should not be forced to perform the ceremony just so you can make a political point. This is not about equality. It's about a political point (might I even say political bullying). If I were in this situation, I would not be disrespectful. I would politely and repeatedly ask you to find someone else. But, if forced, I would go to jail and pay the fines.
Amen to that!

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
On the bright side when the preacher gets to "the speak now or forever hold your peace," he himself can object to the wedding.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Re: COEUR D’ALENE, ID officials forcing Christian minister to perform same sex we...

That's what they do in France. The Mairie is where you go to get married. They don't give a hoot in the infernal regions what the parish priests does (or fails to do) before or after. You ain't married in the eyes of the law until the city hall says you are married.
After the civil ceremony, you can go to the church if you like, but what happens there is meaningless in the eyes of the law.
This is the ideal answer, if we can ever muddle our way through it...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

http://reason.com/blog/2014/10/20/why-not-force-somebody-who-hates-you-to

For heaven's sake, folks, don't try dragging somebody in to marry the two of you who doesn't want to marry the two of you. It's supposed to be the happiest day of your life. Here's a suggestion: If you're thinking of cutting out a distant relative from an invite to your wedding because he is posting anti-gay-marriage stuff on his Facebook wall, don't ask somebody with the exact same beliefs to perform the ceremony for you.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ngs-be-required-to-conduct-same-sex-weddings/

Given that the Free Speech Clause bars the government from requiring public school students to say the pledge of allegiance, or even from requiring drivers to display a slogan on their license plates (Wooley v. Maynard (1977)), the government can’t require ministers — or other private citizens — to speak the words in a ceremony, on pain of either having to close their business or face fines and jail time. (If the minister is required to conduct a ceremony that contains religious language, that would violate the Establishment Clause as well.)
I thought I had covered in one place/way or another every angle on this, but that last line both surprised me and left me asking why I didn't think of it.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I haven't seen anyone claim that marriage is exclusively a monotheistic or Abrahamic institution.
I keep hearing that Marriage should be a "religious" institution so i've asked a very simple question of "which religion?"

I also brought up two seperate facts, 1 that marriage pre-dates the predominant religion in America, Christianity and then when called out for that I clarified that marriage predates all monotheism's and further all modern religious sects. So again if marriage should be a religious institution, which one and now I'll add why?

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I keep hearing that Marriage should be a "religious" institution so i've asked a very simple question of "which religion?"

I also brought up two seperate facts, 1 that marriage pre-dates the predominant religion in America, Christianity and then when called out for that I clarified that marriage predates all monotheism's and further all modern religious sects. So again if marriage should be a religious institution, which one and now I'll add why?
Short answer - it isn't now and shouldn't be. Its a legal institution. I dont think any state treats it solely as a religious institution.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

Most religions (current and past) have blessed marriages in some way, so it would seem erroneous to try to associate marriage with only one religion in my opinion.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
I guess it depends on what is defined as a government. Tribal elders for example?
I bring it up only because determining whether marriage was first a legal or religious institution is sort of a chicken-or-egg argument. The fact that it is currently and historically both is why we have such a heated debate right now.

I agree that it should be separated, with the government using whatever definition it wants and religious institutions using whatever definitions they choose. That doesn't mean that debate within either the public domain (government) or private domain (institutions) should be forbidden, only that they should be separate arguments.

Last edited:

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/marci...ching-post_b_6023312.html?utm_hp_ref=religion

Donald and Lynn Knapp are licensed ministers in the International Church of the Foursquare Gospel.
Which is great and all.

In the 25 years they've owned the Hitching Post, that's around 1,400 weddings a year. When you're officiating only 1,400 weddings a year, you have plenty of time to offer pre-marital counseling and have conversations with the couples who are entering into this sacred covenant of "biblical marriage".
I hate to be the one to point this out to the Reverends Knapp, but they are not, in fact, pastors of a church. They own a wedding mill.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
This is just the beginning folks.............................................
my crazy bircher uncle was saying that non-stop in the late 70s and early 80s. he even had the mimeographed newsletters to prove that "it" was about to start. I'm still waiting for "it" to start.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.