COEUR D’ALENE, ID officials forcing Christian minister to perform same sex weddings

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
In Canada, writing a biblical reference condemning homosexuality is hate speech as upheld by the Canadian Supreme Court.

Once again, an unbelievable (and unintended) twisting of the never-really-ratified XIV Amendment is used to club political opponents. I defy anyone to show me where any supporter of the XIV Amendment said that this amendment was intended to overturn a state's definition of marriage as being between one man and one woman. This twisted interpretation of the XIV does, however, directly and inevitably run roughshod over the very real and plain provisions of the X Amendment.

Popular constitutional referendum after referendum is overturned by the "least dangerous branch of government." Remind me again, which political party is doing this?

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I'm a full-time minister. Nope, I would go to jail before I would do the ceremony. When it comes to homosexual marriage, I take a live and let live approach. Find someone that agrees with your lifestyle and get them to do the ceremony. I'm sure you could find someone who is ordained. I (or any other who disagrees) should not be forced to perform the ceremony just so you can make a political point. This is not about equality. It's about a political point (might I even say political bullying). If I were in this situation, I would not be disrespectful. I would politely and repeatedly ask you to find someone else. But, if forced, I would go to jail and pay the fines.

Last edited:

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I'm a full-time minister. Nope, I would go to jail before I would do the ceremony. When it comes to homosexual marriage, I take a live and let live approach. Find someone that agrees with your lifestyle and get them to do the ceremony. I'm sure you could find someone who is ordained. I (or any other who disagrees) should not be forced to perform the ceremony just so you can make a political point. This is not about equality. It's about a political point (might I even say political bullying). If I were in this situation, I would not be disrespectful. I would politely and repeatedly ask you to find someone else. But, if forced, I would go to jail and pay the fines.
And that my friend is the problem. It is all about political points. It is about forcing tolerance on to people.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I have some friends that can convince the city council to rescind this.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I think the city can enforce this because it is a wedding chapel and not an actual church. All they do is marry people. It is similar to making a florist cater a gay wedding.

I generally think a business should have to serve everyone, but I wouldn't want the preacher at my wedding to be there at gunpoint.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I think the city can enforce this because it is a wedding chapel and not an actual church. All they do is marry people. It is similar to making a florist cater a gay wedding.

I generally think a business should have to serve everyone, but I wouldn't want the preacher at my wedding to be there at gunpoint.
I get that you feel this way, but under what principle of law can it be enforced constitutionally?

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL

I thought about this point. I think you're dead on. This is a "business" and not a place of worship. So it's not exactly apples to apples & comparing it to a minister and a church. But, this aside, they should not be forced to do the ceremony. Just like the baker in Oregon shouldn't have been forced to cater a homosexual wedding. Again it's not about fairness. It's about political agendas and proving a point.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
I thought about this point. I think you're dead on. This is a "business" and not a place of worship. So it's not exactly apples to apples & comparing it to a minister and a church. But, this aside, they should not be forced to do the ceremony. Just like the baker in Oregon shouldn't have been forced to cater a homosexual wedding. Again it's not about fairness. It's about political agendas and proving a point.

http://hitchingpostweddings.com/wedding/reservations/

All weddings done at The Hitching Post are only performed by our ministers.
This is not just a rental space, for one thing. Every ceremony is performed by the owners. Essentially, anyone who forces this minister couple to perform wedding ceremonies is encroaching on their right of freedom of religion, freedom of speech, and aa number of other liberties.

The matter is not what you believe people should do, or even if you support gay marriage. The issue is will you force people to violate their own conscience to satisfy your agenda, whatever that is.

On that point, SCOTUS recently ruled on a similar matter and on the point of a closely held business I believe this couple would win. That's without bringing in 1st Amendment or other constitutional issues.

It's one thing to ask for your own freedom to marry whom you wish. It's another thing entirely to force someone else to participate in your ceremony.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
COEUR D’ALENE, ID officials forcing Christian minister to perform same sex we...

This is not just a rental space, for one thing. Every ceremony is performed by the owners. Essentially, anyone who forces this minister couple to perform wedding ceremonies is encroaching on their right of freedom of religion, freedom of speech, and aa number of other liberties.

The matter is not what you believe people should do, or even if you support gay marriage. The issue is will you force people to violate their own conscience to satisfy your agenda, whatever that is.

On that point, SCOTUS recently ruled on a similar matter and on the point of a closely held business I believe this couple would win. That's without bringing in 1st Amendment or other constitutional issues.

It's one thing to ask for your own freedom to marry whom you wish. It's another thing entirely to force someone else to participate in your ceremony.
You basically said what I have written in my two posts. Under no circumstances should a person be forced to violate their religious convictions for political correctness or forced tolerance. But, this is not a place of worship so it's not exactly the same as the city government walking in a church building and forcing the minister to do the wedding or forcing a congregation to let the couple use their facilities. It's similar to what the other poster said about the florist or the baker in Oregon I referenced. This place is called the "Hitching Post." It's what they do as a business and under some city (& state) laws they will face situations like this. (unfortunately & shamefully) I support them in their fight against the law and the PC going on here. Hope they win but it's doubtful they do. Places like this and other chapels (not church buildings) better get good liability insurance and a good lawyer.
Situations like this are coming.

On another note, before I'm called a bigot for being unwilling to do a same-sex ceremony there are some heterosexual marriage ceremonies I will not participate in. My convictions about marriage, divorce, & remarriage or if it's a "shotgun" wedding I generally refuse. Especially the latter given the failure rate of those unions (nearly 90% end in divorce).

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
COEUR D’ALENE, ID officials forcing Christian minister to perform same sex we...

If I were their lawyer (I am not a lawyer) I would advise the owners to rent them the hall but tell the gay couple to bring their own preacher.

I think there is a difference in baking a cake or arranging flowers for a wedding and being an active participant, either by officiating or performing the music.

Last edited:

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Re: COEUR D’ALENE, ID officials forcing Christian minister to perform same sex we...

You basically said what I have written in my two posts. Under no circumstances should a person be forced to violate their religious convictions for political correctness or forced tolerance.
Under no circumstances ever? I know you caveated with the instances of PC or forced tolerance, but how about Christian scientists that withhold medicine from their children, often in cases that accepted medical practice knows they could save the child?

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/08/06/us/in-child-deaths-a-test-for-christian-science.html

I guess my main thing is if religious belief/preference is inviolate, how does it work when those principles/beliefs cause direct harm?

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Re: COEUR D’ALENE, ID officials forcing Christian minister to perform same sex we...

You basically said what I have written in my two posts. Under no circumstances should a person be forced to violate their religious convictions for political correctness or forced tolerance. But, this is not a place of worship so it's not exactly the same as the city government walking in a church building and forcing the minister to do the wedding or forcing a congregation to let the couple use their facilities. It's similar to what the other poster said about the florist or the baker in Oregon I referenced. This place is called the "Hitching Post." It's what they do as a business and under some city (& state) laws they will face situations like this. (unfortunately & shamefully) I support them in their fight against the law and the PC going on here. Hope they win but it's doubtful they do. Places like this and other chapels (not church buildings) better get good liability insurance and a good lawyer.
Situations like this are coming.

On another note, before I'm called a bigot for being unwilling to do a same-sex ceremony there are some heterosexual marriage ceremonies I will not participate in. My convictions about marriage, divorce, & remarriage or if it's a "shotgun" wedding I generally refuse. Especially the latter given the failure rate of those unions (nearly 90% end in divorce).
I stand proudly with them and with those who work and wish only for the right to marry whom they will. Both are only seeking freedom to do as they will. The problem with the florist and the baker and the hitching post is that someone misguidedly, shamefully, unfortunately is trying to force someone to participate in something they wish to not do. I've joked that pretty soon you will be called a bigot for not participating in the actual act of homosexuality. It's ridiculous. but so is the rest of it.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL

Bingo. Thank you.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL

I stand proudly with them and with those who work and wish only for the right to marry whom they will. Both are only seeking freedom to do as they will. The problem with the florist and the baker and the hitching post is that someone misguidedly, shamefully, unfortunately is trying to force someone to participate in something they wish to not do. I've joked that pretty soon you will be called a bigot for not participating in the actual act of homosexuality. It's ridiculous. but so is the rest of it.
Agreed.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003

But, this is not a place of worship so it's not exactly the same as the city government walking in a church building and forcing the minister to do the wedding or forcing a congregation to let the couple use their facilities.
I didn't really address this earlier and so wanted to double back to do so.

It's actually worse than what you describe - they are forcing the ministers to perform the ceremony or face fines and imprisonment.

And who says it's not a place of worship? Is a wedding not an act of worship to many people? There are many ways of worshipping God.

And who says you have to contain your worship of God to a church house? Worship is an act, an attitude, a behavior, not a place. The 1st Amendment has no restriction specifying its application only in church buildings. That whole argument is on its face ridiculous. The 1st Amendment has no restriction specifying its application regarding free speech to only speech that is approved by government or that you can only remain silent when you have government approval.

The whole argument that these people have to let others use their place and that they have to perform the ceremony is ludicrous.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.