Missouri vs Florida

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
I think regardless of how this year ends up for MSU, this is the best Mullen will ever be able to do at that school. In my opinion, it kinda all comes down to what he views as important and what his goals are. The only real other job I can remember him being considered for was Miami and who cold blame him for not going to that dumpster fire. I think any coach with big aspirations would view the MSU job for what it is and that is a stepping stone. He has proven what he could do with a bottom to middle tier team, I think he has reached the MSU ceiling.
Yeah everything came together for him this year. He's fielding the most experienced team in the SEC with a game-changer at QB who the team will rally around and play above their heads for. This is as good as it's gonna get for Mullen and Miss. St.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
As it relates strictly to CFB, there are a number of schools where a new HC can come in and take over a successful program and keep it successful. The SEC doesn't have any of those schools.
However as I've seen in my own industry, it's easy to bs your way in the door. Once you get in though, you darned sure better know what you're doing. Eviden"tly, CWM doesn't know nearly as much about coaching an SEC fb program as he tells others he knows.
"NEXT??!"

Last edited:

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
As Coach Bryant told us, Florida is a gold mine/sleeping giant. The last four Florida coaches:

Steve Spurrier (previous HC at Duke)
Ron Zook (previous coordinator)
Urban Meyer (previous HC at Utah)
Will Muschamp (previous coordinator)

So..all that to say this...you have to be VERY special to make the jump from coordinator or position coach to HC at a big time program and be successful right away or an AD and fan base that will be very patient with you. Jimbo Fisher is a special case because he was basically the HC during Coach Bowden's last few years, but in the football sense only. Coach Bowden still shouldered all the rest of the burdens. So that eased him into it.

But look around the SEC. Gus eased into the door at Arkansas, went to Tulsa, then came to AU as an OC. He went to Arky St. to cut his teeth as a HC and then came to AU as a HC. Hugh Freeze cut his teeth as a HC at Arky St. also. Les Miles coached at Okie St. when they weren't necessarily a power house program and got his feet wet there before coming in to maintain and enhance the groundwork that Nick Saban laid in Baton Rouge. And speaking of Coach Saban, his nomadic behavior is well-documented. But his first head coaching job was at Toledo. Most of the guys who have big time success have paid their dues, and not jumped directly from coordinator to head coach. Dan Mullen falls into that second category. He has an AD and fan base that have been VERY patient with him and his development of their program and they are now reaping the benefits.

I think Jeremy Foley goes hard after Mullen (although I heard the two don't quite get along), but I don't think Mullen leaves Miss. St. What's going on there right now is his baby. That's all of his sweat and hard work that's manifested itself as a #1 ranking in the country no matter how short lived it'll be. But whoever Florida gets, it'll be someone who has already been a head coach.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I know he is from the Oxford area, but if the Gators are smart, they would make a run at Hugh Freeze. He was one of those 'offensive geniuses' that realized that offense alone wasn't enough in this conference. His teams had to play physical . He has also proven he can recruit.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I know he is from the Oxford area, but if the Gators are smart, they would make a run at Hugh Freeze. He was one of those 'offensive geniuses' that realized that offense alone wasn't enough in this conference. His teams had to play physical . He has also proven he can recruit.
You are right on target...but I don't see him every leaving Ole Miss until he starts losing and/or gets forced out. If he can win for 10 years he could retire a wealthy man.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Yes, he can recruit. With extra help from some deep pocketed boosters.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
That's awesome. The deathwatch has begun.
I think the AD, Foley, said that it would be determined at the end of the year. I'm not sure he can wait that long.

If he doesn't get canned prior to FSU, I sure hope UF beats FSU. Then, what will happen to Muschamp? Would he be able to keep the job based on defeating FSU?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.