JessN: Texas A&M wrap-up: Seriously, where did this come from?

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
The game will doubtless be legendary in Bama folklore simply due to its statistical awesomeness. If the rest of the season pans out, though, it could become mythical.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Jess, I'm curious about this point.

3. Alabama dominated the trenches, and thus, the game. Texas A&M’s offensive line was probably a bit overrated coming into this game anyway, but Alabama did an expert job of identifying where the biggest holes were (speed containment over right tackle, gap discipline at the guard slots) and punished Texas A&M for not having a plan to fill them. Alabama was able to apply pressure with four- and five-man rushes, and recorded six sacks along the way. Moreover, Alabama moved Kenny Hill out of the pocket on several occasions, and forced Texas A&M to go with rollouts that took away half the field. Alabama built a lead so quickly that A&M had to practically abandon the running game, but it likely wouldn’t have mattered. Alabama frequently put up snap-to-contact times of 2 seconds or less, which kills both running games and pocket passing. Offensively, center Bradley Bozeman and right guard Leon Brown played their best games, but the real issue was that Texas A&M’s tackles couldn’t get off blocks. Couple that with linebackers that are laterally limited and not very strong, and it’s easy to see how Alabama controlled these tactical aspects of the game.
TAMU's offensive line was allowing 1.4 sacks a game already. Even with their quick passes. Their OL hasn't been what it was the previous seasons.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
What's going on with special teams?!?! First time we haven't blocked an extra point attempt!!!

I went to the game (sat in top row of the north end zone), and noticed a couple of positive things:

- The team seemed very loose on the sideline, and to me, it was the first time I've noticed since I started going to UA. Loved it, but I also hope the team can continue playing loose like that.

- The third quarter crowd was the loudest I've ever heard of a third quarter crowd at Bryant-Denny, and I loved it.

- The A&M fans in my section began leaving after Christion Jones' long punt return in the second quarter. That kind of surprised me.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Jekyll and Hyde. I never know what to expect from this team. I just hope the team we saw last week continues to show up. But I'm still nervous about every game we have left on the schedule.

As for the fans' expectations? This week showed (again) what this team is capable of. Therefore, the fans had every right to be disappointed in how we played against Arkansas. Maybe the criticism after that game, and the reaction from the coaches, has helped this team form an identity. We'll see as the season progresses. I still think playing UT in Knoxville this weekend will be tough.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.