JessN: Texas A&M wrap-up: Seriously, where did this come from?

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Texas A&M wrap-up: Seriously, where did this come from?
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
October 19th, 2014 12:31 AM

. By Jess Nicholas TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief Oct. 19, 2014 Saturday’s win over Texas A&M didn’t just set an Alabama record for most points scored in a quarter (35, in the second frame). It also set a TideFans.com record for most incorrect game preview of all time. That second rating was set both in the objective […]

Read More Here

marcusroby

1st Team
Jan 7, 2004
auburn,al usa
Thanks for the review Jess. I've felt for some time now that the players have been under pressure to fill expectations and standards that they sometimes seem to be not really enjoying the game itself. We have great coaches and players but the teams that have beaten us have ridden a wave of emotion and game planning that carried them to victory. This whole squad has seemed to have pressed to be as good as teams past. Yesterday they just wanted to prove that they were better than the team across the field.

I hope they can enjoy the rest of the season like that. We have maybe the most talented group of thoroughbreds in the country, let em run darn it!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
IMO, Ole Miss and Arkansas were the result of injuries and their impact on your very young team. This was the same Alabama team that trounced Florida. If they can maintain this confidence, they won't lose again. But they remain young, even after this victory, so only time will tell.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
What a fun game to watch. The talent is there and has been there all season. The emotion and discipline were lacking, as you so eloquently stated. Now onward to Knoxville!

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
Now that was a fun game to watch! I think coach's rant about the fans loosened the players up and we got to see what this talent coach Saban and company has assembled can do. After watching this game it is easy to see how tight they played against Ole Miss and Arkansas on the road, almost as if they were trying to hard trying to force things instead of letting it come naturally, pressing.

The team that played yesterday can play with anybody. ROLL TIDE ROLL!!! :)

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
thanks jess. its been a long time since I have seen the enthusiasm, aggressive run to the ball attitude at bama. amazing what one week of soul searching, by the coaches, and the players made happen this game. I realize that A&M was coming off a tough two game experience, but, our guys had the same problem. again, to see our defense gang tackling, flying to the ball again, was a joy to behold. the off line performed much better, and I like Bozeman at center.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
IMO, Ole Miss and Arkansas were the result of injuries and their impact on your very young team. This was the same Alabama team that trounced Florida. If they can maintain this confidence, they won't lose again. But they remain young, even after this victory, so only time will tell.

This again and again. If Bama's defense plays this way the rest of the way, they won't lose; if the offense plays this way, none of them will even be close.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Thanks Jess...I agree with your assessment. I woke up this morning and realized it was not a dream...we really played that well and made them quit. Will this happen every week? No..but I could settle for 3/4 of this every week. :)

tide power fan

All-SEC
Nov 26, 2011
This was a great game for Bama, it's a win I said last week that the close game with Ark may be a blessing in disguise. Good title Jess thanks.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I've gotten to the point where I'm going to just take it week to week with this team. Undoubtedly, our two big SEC blowouts were among the "bottom 4" of our SEC slate. Arkansas and Tennessee round out that list. So I don't know what this win really means about any of the games going forward. We struggled on the road against Arkansas and have Tennessee in Knoxville next week.

I do see some positives though and they're pretty dang odd given the typical Bama strengths. For example, we can't really get after the passer in base defense but have succeeded with front four pressure when teams spread out. That projects well for Tennessee. They like to spread it out and their OL has been among the worst in the conference so far this year. It makes me worry a lot about LSU though. They're comfortable in heavy personnel groupings and we catch them in likely a home night game.

I don't know if we can take a lot away from this offensive performance. I think it is fair to say TAMU provided little if any resistance. They focused on the run, couldn't man up on Cooper, and ended up not even succeeding at stopping the run either. Part of the collegiate game is about confidence and momentum and this game at least served that purpose.

Glad to see a good win and hope there are a bunch more going forward!

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
With the exception of a late, long kickoff return, Alabama fairly well shut down
the Aggies’ return game.
Yes, maybe this is explained by Foster's absence, but this has been "par for the course" for Bama's special teams over the last few years (i.e. play extremely well but suffer one breakdown in performance during a game). Hopefully, we'll see continued improvement going forward.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.