Bama to #4 in coaches and AP poll...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: Bama to #4 in coaches poll...

Yeah, it's cool I guess. But the only top 4 that matters is the one that the committee rolls out at the end of the regular season.

Rod Gilmore and Mark Jones were the commentators for the Stanford - Arizona State late game last night. At one point during the game, Jones asked Gilmore what would be his 4 playoff teams, given the events of the day (Baylor's, Oklahoma's, and Notre Dame's losses and Alabama's blowout win over Texas A&M). Gilmore said that since conference championships were important to him, he'd put Mississippi State, FSU, Michigan State, and Oregon in.

When Jones asked him why he skipped over Ole Miss, Alabama and Auburn, he said that he was projecting Mississippi State as the SEC champion, and if you don't win your conference championship, you should have to be able to point to a very strong out of conference schedule in order to get in, which in his view, Ole Miss, Alabama and Auburn can't do.

Here's to hoping the committee has more sense than Rod Gilmore.
Alabama's OOC schedule: WVU, Florida International, Southern Miss, Western Carolina
Ole Miss' OOC schedule: Boise, Louisiana-Lafayette, Memphis, Presbyterian
Auburn's OOC schedule: San Jose State, @ Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Samford

WVU beat #4 Baylor yesterday.
Kansas State beat #11 Oklahoma on the road.

Oregon's OOC schedule: South Dakota, #7 Michigan State, Wyoming
Michigan State's OOC schedule: Jacksonville State, @ #3 Oregon, Eastern Michigan, Wyoming
Florida State's OOC schedule: Oklahoma State, Citadel, #5 Notre Dame, Florida

Ole Miss' OOC schedule is the weakest of all. Will be curious to see how it all shakes out.

Not defending him, Gilmore may be ignorant with an agenda , he is not stupid. He has a degree from Stanford and a Law degree from Cal -Berkeley.. Pretty accomplished.
That doesn't mean he's smart enough to be a TideFans poster. ;)

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

With a logjam of one -loss teams and one of the 4 spots basically already wrapped up for FSU, I still think we need to look impressive against Tennessee and LSU in addition to winning out to make the playoff. It's obvious after yesterday's performance that our team is capable of doing that, the question is will they, or will the team that showed up in Fayetteville last Saturday rear its ugly head again? We will see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Not defending him, Gilmore may be ignorant with an agenda , he is not stupid. He has a degree from Stanford and a Law degree from Cal -Berkeley.. Pretty accomplished.
Big difference in book smarts and common sense..

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

What is the standard of OOC schedule? I mean yea we played WVU who just beat Baylor, but besides that we played cupcakes. Isn't that what all the other teams that are in the top 10 do? One solid OOC game and the rest cupcakes? I don't know who all the other teams have played OOC but it's probably not much better than WVU. Not to mention if you measure the conference opponents between the SEC and any other conference it is no contest..
Alabama has an SoS of 9. I think that's about all that needs to be said about schedule difficulty.

Rod Gilmore and Mark Jones were the commentators for the Stanford - Arizona State late game last night. At one point during the game, Jones asked Gilmore what would be his 4 playoff teams, given the events of the day (Baylor's, Oklahoma's, and Notre Dame's losses and Alabama's blowout win over Texas A&M). Gilmore said that since conference championships were important to him, he'd put Mississippi State, FSU, Michigan State, and Oregon in.
He's using the only method there is to keep a second one loss SEC team out. You can't just use the conference championship criteria, you have to preemptively demote SEC teams on the assumption that they won't win their conference. That's the only way the committee could do it.

When the first committee ranking comes out on the 28th, assuming Alabama doesn't lose, they should be 4th or 5th if not higher, and they'd play one team still presumably ahead of them and Auburn. If the committee doesn't jump the gun and do his utterly ridiculous let's rank teams based on who we think will win their conference nonsense, there's no way to keep Alabama out if they win out. He is smart, and he knows what he's doing. He's also a lot of what's wrong with college football. Let's consider what he's doing here. He's saying that SoS doesn't matter, and that conference games don't matter. Wait, that conference games do matter, and SoS does matter. He's doing both and at the same time! He's saying that playing a tough conference schedule doesn't really matter, all that matters is winning it. On the other hand, he's hyper inflating the worth of OOC SoS, except he's saying that losing those games do not matter! There's no logic to what he's saying, but he's just trying to use propaganda to get what he wants.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

So if we win out , and Ole Miss wins out. Think both teams go? OM will be SEC champs so they will go , and Bama will have wins over then #1. MSU and top ten Auburn. Plus OOC WVU. the only loss would be on the road at #1 Ole Miss, a game that Bama led most of the game and had a chance to win in the last minute. If WVU wins the Big 12, That would really help our case. Need Florida to make a better showing in the East. Lot of football to play, but all the talk is fun

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

The worst was Mac Brown who thought that Oregon should be given a pass because they were missing OL in their only loss. If the committee doesn't go strictly by w's and l's and comparative strength of schedule then they are opening a large can of worms.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

So if we win out , and Ole Miss wins out. Think both teams go? OM will be SEC champs so they will go , and Bama will have wins over then #1. MSU and top ten Auburn. Plus OOC WVU. the only loss would be on the road at #1 Ole Miss, a game that Bama led most of the game and had a chance to win in the last minute. If WVU wins the Big 12, That would really help our case. Need Florida to make a better showing in the East. Lot of football to play, but all the talk is fun
At this point I would say yes..

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

If the committee follows their own rules, yes, Alabama is in. I've argued before that I don't really believe that the committee has the backbone to keep two SEC teams out in every scenario, for instance I argued that in 2011 Alabama gets in (with the conference champions being criteria, not mandatory), but as a 3 or 4 seed. One could argue that the committee is more there to keep a bigger nightmare scenario from happening, to keep 3 SEC teams out.

Let's just assume Alabama wins out, and Ole Miss and FSU do as well. Alabama will be #3 in both polls, top 4 in all the computers (#2 in Sagarin right now), and have an SoS well within the top 10 (to all those morons promoting non-logical SoS criteria). Their only loss will have been a close road loss to an undefeated team, in a game in which they had injuries. Their loss would also have been rather early, with recent big wins over Auburn and Miss. State.

Now, is there a pretty good chance they'd make Ole Miss and Alabama play in the first round? I'd say yes...

scrodz

1st Team
Jan 29, 2008
Baltimore, MD

The worst was Mac Brown who thought that Oregon should be given a pass because they were missing OL in their only loss. If the committee doesn't go strictly by w's and l's and comparative strength of schedule then they are opening a large can of worms.
They can't go there now, though, otherwise they'll have to factor the loss of Drake, Kelly, and Devall into our loss to Ole Miss.

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com

I'm wondering if Mack would give us a pass on the OM game since lost a center, a lb, and a running back? Well, actually I'm not really wondering that...just sayin'...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I'd simply suggest his actions belie his education.

IOW, I don't care where he went to school, he's an idiot.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Plenty of idiots out there with PhDs. They were just smart enough to know the confines of academia were the only place they'd make it.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I resemble that remark!!! Seriously, do you even have a clue as to what it takes to get a Ph.d? I toughed it out for 2 years of seminar work -- 70-80 hour study plus work -- passed proficiency exams in 3 languages, passed 8 hours of comp exams and wrote a 400 page dissertation. 3 1/2 years of work all the while supporting a family and being pastor of a church.

Anyone who has a legitimate Ph.d. deserves your respect, whether you agree with him/her or not.

That being said, Rod Gilmore is wrong when it comes to what he said. He doesn't have a Ph.d. in collegiate football, that is for sure.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Gilmore knows better than that.
If the playoff is going to have a prayer, the committee needs to pick the best four teams in America, period.
The word "Conference", or "Champion", shouldn't even enter the picture.
sip

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.