Bama to #4 in coaches and AP poll...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Re: Bama to #4 in coaches poll...

Back in position. The rest of the nation is faltering, we've actually gotten back to controlling our own destiny for the playoffs without even getting back into position for the conference.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

Yeah, baby!!! With Mittittippi Tate and the Barn in front of us, if Bama wins out, we're in. Yesterday was a statement game.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL

Yeah, it's cool I guess. But the only top 4 that matters is the one that the committee rolls out at the end of the regular season.

Rod Gilmore and Mark Jones were the commentators for the Stanford - Arizona State late game last night. At one point during the game, Jones asked Gilmore what would be his 4 playoff teams, given the events of the day (Baylor's, Oklahoma's, and Notre Dame's losses and Alabama's blowout win over Texas A&M). Gilmore said that since conference championships were important to him, he'd put Mississippi State, FSU, Michigan State, and Oregon in.

When Jones asked him why he skipped over Ole Miss, Alabama and Auburn, he said that he was projecting Mississippi State as the SEC champion, and if you don't win your conference championship, you should have to be able to point to a very strong out of conference schedule in order to get in, which in his view, Ole Miss, Alabama and Auburn can't do.

Here's to hoping the committee has more sense than Rod Gilmore.

Last edited:

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA

Yeah, it's cool I guess. But the only top 4 that matters is the one that the committee rolls out at the end of the regular season.

Rod Gilmore and Mark Jones were the commentators for the Stanford - Arizona State late game last night. At one point during the game, Jones asked Gilmore what would be his 4 playoff teams, given the events of the day (Baylor's and Oklahoma's losses and Alabama's blowout win over Texas A&M). Gilmore said that since conference championships were important to him, he'd put Mississippi State, FSU, Michigan State, and Oregon in.

When Jones asked him why he skipped over Ole Miss, Alabama and Auburn, he said that he was projecting Mississippi State as the SEC champion, and if you don't win your conference championship, you should have to be able to point to a very strong out of conference schedule in order to get in, which in his view, Ole Miss, Alabama and Auburn can't do.

If things continue to go the way they are with the SEC (and West in particular), they'll have to have 2 SEC teams in else this championship-by-committee really will be an obvious sham.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

All we need to do is win out against Tennercee, LSU, Mittittippi Tate, the Barn and Georgia (SECCG) and we'll be in the playoff unless that Selection Committee has a total IQ of "0"!

scrodz

1st Team
Jan 29, 2008
Baltimore, MD

I'd love to think it was just a matter of ending the season in the top 4, but the whole purpose of the selection committee is to over-ride the polls to get conference champions that AREN'T in the top 4 into the playoffs.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA

I'd love to think it was just a matter of ending the season in the top 4, but the whole purpose of the selection committee is to over-ride the polls to get conference champions that AREN'T in the top 4 into the playoffs.
Sadly, I agree with this as well. It's all about spreading the money around the conferences. I still think there will likely be 2 SEC West teams in the playoffs, but I don't see a way to get more than that. If we win out, we go. If we don't, we had better hope for some serious luck.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA

Rod Gilmore and Mark Jones were the commentators for the Stanford - Arizona State late game last night. At one point during the game, Jones asked Gilmore what would be his 4 playoff teams, given the events of the day (Baylor's, Oklahoma's, and Notre Dame's losses and Alabama's blowout win over Texas A&M). Gilmore said that since conference championships were important to him, he'd put Mississippi State, FSU, Michigan State, and Oregon in.

I guess WV is a nobody. Yup, Bama plays a soft non-conference schedule.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

if marshall is undefeated they might just get voted in by this stupid committee

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

What is the standard of OOC schedule? I mean yea we played WVU who just beat Baylor, but besides that we played cupcakes. Isn't that what all the other teams that are in the top 10 do? One solid OOC game and the rest cupcakes? I don't know who all the other teams have played OOC but it's probably not much better than WVU. Not to mention if you measure the conference opponents between the SEC and any other conference it is no contest..

Last edited:

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA

This selection committee will be like NASA when they selected the first astronauts, and didnt pick Chick Yeager and Scott Crossfield. That weren't looking for the best pilots.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

There are few people in all of sports that are as stupid as Gilmore. Seriously.
For the Rod Gilmore haters ....

http://www.spitbloodtcu.com/2010/11/public-enemy-1-rod-gilmore.html

Rod Gilmore, I hope you get stabbed with an AIDS needle. Seriously, right in the eyeball. Actually, that seems too pleasant. I hope you break your legs and fall into a freezing cold pond right in the middle of your favorite city, Boise, Idaho, and drown/freeze to death. I honestly think if I saw you, suffering and begging for my help, I would probably just pop some popcorn, pull up a lawn chair, and watch you go down. Then, I'd bring confetti eggs and an air horn to your funeral. Now before everyone rips me and questions my Christianity or sanity, obviously I'm not serious about all of those things, but Rod, you do truly suck and I hate you. I really do hope you are the next ESPN employee to sexually harass an intern or blast out your own personal Brett Favre photos and you get canned. You're becoming more of an embarrassment to that network than Stephen A. Smith was.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

Not defending him, Gilmore may be ignorant with an agenda , he is not stupid. He has a degree from Stanford and a Law degree from Cal -Berkeley.. Pretty accomplished.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.