Grantland: The Team That Never Punts

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I wish I remembered who it was that said it, but a few years ago I read an article in which a coach was saying that eventually there'd be a coach who never punted. The article was framed around the idea of going for it, and I suppose one of the main aspects was that there's a stigma attached to turning the ball over on downs that isn't attached to punting.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
There's a high school team here who does that. They do onside-kickoffs every kickoff as well like the team in the video. Kinda weird but it does work against less talented teams. And to be perfectly honest, this is a good strategy if your defense is not that good. At the high school level, that's usually the case for most teams. In D1 CFB I'm pretty sure this won't work nearly as well. Unless of course we totally devolve into putting everything into a HUNH offensive team and don't develop a defense -- kinda like TCU or Baylor does already. Until that happens, none of these teams will win a National Championship.

Last edited:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
There's a high school team here who does that. They do onside-kickoffs every kickoff as well like the team in the video. Kinda weird but it does work against less talented teams. And to be perfectly honest, this is a good strategy if your defense is not that good. At the high school level, that's usually the case for most teams. In D1 CFB I'm pretty sure this won't work nearly as well. Unless of course we totally devolve into putting everything into a HUNH offensive team and don't develop a defense -- kinda like TCU or Baylor does already. Until that happens, none of these teams will win a National Championship.
Disagree with TCU. Patterson is a defensive coach, and they were at the top in defense every year until recently. They played pretty well defensively against a pretty good offensive team in Okie Lite

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
There really is something to this. He treats the kickoff after a score like a turnover. He doesnt play field position, he plays possession and scores. Why kick off to the 25 when you can onside kick to the 50, and you have a 40% chance of recovering the ball? It is at least a coherent philosophy, and it would scare the heck out of your opponents.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
And the more times the kicker kicks on-sides kicks, he'll get really good at it, as well as the coverage players..It can be deadly & work to your favor if done right & done many many time to perfect the art of the on-sides kick..

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
If you onside kick to me with a big lead you need to tell your quarterback to look out for a late hit.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Intrigued by the idea. Would like to see it done in a bigger setting (D2 or FCS) to see how well it works overall.

For a team that does onside kicks until the game is out of reach, how do they only recover an onside kick 18% of the time?

swoop10

Hall of Fame
Feb 10, 2001
Valdosta, GA
Disagree with TCU. Patterson is a defensive coach, and they were at the top in defense every year until recently. They played pretty well defensively against a pretty good offensive team in Okie Lite
Well that was before they joined the Big 12-2. When they signed the dotted line they were told they couldn't bring their defense with them. ;)

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I think we punted yesterday and a lot the game before!
yet our punter still doesn't have enough punts to qualify nationally.

I have a friend that played HS football. He told me his coach didn't have a placekicker. They went for 2 after TDs and never kicked FG. They only punted if they were pinned deep.

Bamaboda1

Suspended
Sep 1, 2006
Kathleen, GA
I've never known of a team that does the onside every time...but I remember a coach who would quick kick on third down to "flip the field", and he was a pretty darn good one.:)

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.