WVU students not content with just burning furniture this week

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
We also have to remember that the good folks on the West Virginia/Eastern Kentucky border gave us the Hatfield and McCoy feud of the mid to late 19th century. While bad blood was boiling post Civil War, the feud was accelerated in a dispute over, of all things, a pig.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
We also have to remember that the good folks on the West Virginia/Eastern Kentucky border gave us the Hatfield and McCoy feud of the mid to late 19th century. While bad blood was boiling post Civil War, the feud was accelerated in a dispute over, of all things, a pig.
Aaah. More blood has been spilled over love than just about anything else, save money.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
When I lived in that part of the country 20 something years ago, there was a town named War, West Virginia forty miles or so from where I lived. One of those WV coal mining towns that there's one way in and one way out. Keeping in mind that this area is known for its share of snake-handling church congregations.

One of our sales reps refused to go through there on Oct. 31. She said she'd been there the prior year on Halloween and half the town's men had gone crazy because word had gotten out that demons were set to take over the town. Telephone poles were cut down with chainsaws and many light bulbs were shot out. Probably wasn't safe for folks to dress up their kids as li'l monsters, I am guessing.

It's one of those "it is what it is" situations and as soon as I got an offer from a recruiter to relocate , I did. So I can believe the behavior of the WV students has likely been rehearsed before in some fashion.
Years ago, I kayaked the Gauley, in central south WV. It's a beautiful, highly dangerous river which only flows once a year, when they draw down the reservoir for the winter. After a few days in what amounts to wilderness, you exit by dragging your boat up a side creek to a trailer park. Along the way, you pass all kinds of abandoned appliances, washers and the like, which had been distributed down the creek in various floods. Our shuttle driver was a nice young guy, son of a local judge who'd just gotten out of jail on a MJ charge, although he seemed to have plenty still to sell. There was no cover to change out of our river clothes. Usually, in that situation, we just tried to change as fast as possible, to keep the flash as short as possible. This then was standard practice, except in areas like the Grand Canyon, where nudity is just accepted because there's no alternative and thus no need for haste. Anyway, the judge's son advised against it. The previous week, some kayakers changing in the open had been peppered with rifle fire. I couldn't tell that he felt that it was abnormal behavior at all...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Years ago, I kayaked the Gauley, in central south WV. It's a beautiful, highly dangerous river which only flows once a year, when they draw down the reservoir for the winter. After a few days in what amounts to wilderness, you exit by dragging your boat up a side creek to a trailer park. Along the way, you pass all kinds of abandoned appliances, washers and the like, which had been distributed down the creek in various floods. Our shuttle driver was a nice young guy, son of a local judge who'd just gotten out of jail on a MJ charge, although he seemed to have plenty still to sell. There was no cover to change out of our river clothes. Usually, in that situation, we just tried to change as fast as possible, to keep the flash as short as possible. This then was standard practice, except in areas like the Grand Canyon, where nudity is just accepted because there's no alternative and thus no need for haste. Anyway, the judge's son advised against it. The previous week, some kayakers changing in the open had been peppered with rifle fire. I couldn't tell that he felt that it was abnormal behavior at all...
last time i made it up that way, '98 or so. the smell of ammonia (signifying meth cooking) was pretty strong all through the takeout area. i spend a ton of time in w. va kayaking in the 90s. absolutely beautiful country there and i met a lot of nice folks, but some of the further back areas (where all the good creeks are ;) ) were stuck in what appeared to be the early 1900s, and not in a good way. there were a ton of good (and half-crazy) boaters from there, though.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
This just in: Reports on damage from the fires and riots in Morgantown following West Virginia's victory over Baylor are starting to trickle in. City officials are now estimating that Morgantown has suffered at least $10,000 of improvements......

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.