F$U-ND in the CFP

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Most, if not all, are aware that the committee has said they would not be into rematches. But the ending of the F$U-ND game has virtually assured, if both win out, that both will be in the first CFP.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Very possible , guess we need to be gator/ Trojan fans in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk yuuyyyy

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I think there are a couple of places that ND can/will stumble. Looking at ASU and USC.

FSU is not beyond stumbling to someone like Louisville.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
ND is #7 in the AP and coaches. I know that doesn't matter to the CFP Committee but as of right now I don't think they would be in. Still a lot of football left though. Best thing for us would be for ND to lose again so they are not in the discussion..

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
Only 2 of the top 3 teams has a chance to stay undefeated because of the Egg Bowl. So now you're looking at two 1-loss teams to add to the mix and if OM and MSU stay undefeated until the Egg Bowl...that puts Alabama and Auburn with 2 and 3 losses (lose to both MS schools and one loses the Iron Bowl). So now you have an undefeated MS school, undefeated FSU, 1-loss MS school whose only loss is to the current #1 (more than likely), and then you have to find one more 1-loss team which is either going to be Oregon or Michigan State based on the fact they play more quality teams than ND.

The only way ND gets back into the final 4 teams is if the committee has no other choice because of the lack of quality 1-loss teams and also because ND crushes the rest of the teams on their schedule. Sure it's possible...just look at 2007...but it's not all that likely.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
ND is #7 in the AP and coaches. I know that doesn't matter to the CFP Committee but as of right now I don't think they would be in. Still a lot of football left though. Best thing for us would be for ND to lose again so they are not in the discussion..
And 4 of the 6 in front of them with each having two games left with the other 3. Won't take long for ND to be back in the Top 4. Not, as said, that it matters.

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Only 2 of the top 3 teams has a chance to stay undefeated because of the Egg Bowl. So now you're looking at two 1-loss teams to add to the mix and if OM and MSU stay undefeated until the Egg Bowl...that puts Alabama and Auburn with 2 and 3 losses (lose to both MS schools and one loses the Iron Bowl). So now you have an undefeated MS school, undefeated FSU, 1-loss MS school whose only loss is to the current #1 (more than likely), and then you have to find one more 1-loss team which is either going to be Oregon or Michigan State based on the fact they play more quality teams than ND.

The only way ND gets back into the final 4 teams is if the committee has no other choice because of the lack of quality 1-loss teams and also because ND crushes the rest of the teams on their schedule. Sure it's possible...just look at 2007...but it's not all that likely.
UGA could potentially throw a wrench in to that. They could lose to Florida (or Auburn, etc) and win the SEC championship. I don't really see that happening, but then again, I don't see the MS schools keeping this up. It's different when you're at the top for a little while...

As far as the playoffs go - things will work themselves out. There's so much football left to be played. If we take care of our business, we'll be there, and the rest is just "clutter".

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
If FSU wins out, they should be in. Period. (Assuming they don't have Jameis eligibility fallout.) Even though they don't look as good as they were last year, they still are the defending champ and deserve a shot to defend their title. Now if they were to lose a game, then it would be a different story.

Notre Dame, on the other hand, needs to get in line behind Alabama and Auburn as far as one loss teams are concerned. And they should probably be behind MSU (when they lose to us) and Ole Miss if they lose too. Georgia lost to a mediocre USC team, so I would put Notre Dame in front of them. Unless Georgia wins the SECCG.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
UGA could potentially throw a wrench in to that. They could lose to Florida (or Auburn, etc) and win the SEC championship. I don't really see that happening, but then again, I don't see the MS schools keeping this up. It's different when you're at the top for a little while...

As far as the playoffs go - things will work themselves out. There's so much football left to be played. If we take care of our business, we'll be there, and the rest is just "clutter".
Agreed. UGA could easily represent the east with two losses and then pull the upset over an undefeated (more probable one loss) SEC West Champ. God only knows what will shake out in the next six weeks nationally or what CFP committee members will do.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
They also saw how we completely dismantled ND two years ago.
I know, it's different teams now, but that image will still be in their minds.
Like the imagine in the minds of the 1956 Heisman voters when they voted the trophy to Paul Hornung? After he led ND to a two and EIGHT record!

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Most, if not all, are aware that the committee has said they would not be into rematches. But the ending of the F$U-ND game has virtually assured, if both win out, that both will be in the first CFP.
With their schedule....FSU should easily win out. ND could go down.
I just don't see how these "experts" are putting Oregon so high.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
If you are not in a conference, you should not even be eligible for the playoffs IMO. I'm sick and tired of the special ND rules!
It does beg the question, if conference championships are going to be so highly regarded, what are they going to do with Notre Dame?

Notre Dame is the elephant in the room when it comes to the whole conference title thing, IMO, and shows why it is a ridiculous thing to consider.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
It does beg the question, if conference championships are going to be so highly regarded, what are they going to do with Notre Dame?

Notre Dame is the elephant in the room when it comes to the whole conference title thing, IMO, and shows why it is a ridiculous thing to consider.
I totally agree. The era of special treatment for Notre Dame needs to come to an end.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
I totally agree. The era of special treatment for Notre Dame needs to come to an end.
Ya, they need to join the everyone else and come in to the " modern" era of the sport. Besides, are they really any better today than when Bama demolished them in the BCSCG? Seems to me that team was more talented.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If ND and FSU win out, they are both getting into the playoff. Deserving has nothing to do with it. Accept it and move on, because it will happen. ND's only loss was on the road - and they should have won - and everyone watched the game and knows that they should have won. That close loss was the worst possible outcome for the SEC. It keeps both in contention.

IMO, if they both win out only one SEC team makes the playoff no matter what else happens in college football, so everyone needs to hope that one or both stumble.

Edit - Two SEC teams could make it in under the scenario above if every other conference winner has 2 losses.

Last edited:

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
I was in a moral quandry Saturday night. While I've never had any particular animosity toward FSU, I absolutely loathe the excuse-making machine that Jimbo/FSU have been for Jameis. OTOH, I've rooted for Notre Dame to lose every single game to every single opponent since at least 1966. My solution? Nodded off near the end of the 3rd qtr. Presto! Problem solved. ;)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.