Archie Manning stepping down from Playoff committee

Gibson09

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 5, 2010
http://espn.go.com/college-football...ning-steps-college-football-playoff-committee

Because of health reasons, Archie Manning is stepping down from the College Football Playoff Committee that will determine the four finalists for the 2014 national championship, a source said.
An announcement will be made Monday around 9 a.m. ET.

Hope he gets everything taking care of. But it sucks that one of the true voices for the SEC is stepping down.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
http://espn.go.com/college-football...ning-steps-college-football-playoff-committee

Because of health reasons, Archie Manning is stepping down from the College Football Playoff Committee that will determine the four finalists for the 2014 national championship, a source said.
An announcement will be made Monday around 9 a.m. ET.

Hope he gets everything taking care of. But it sucks that one of the true voices for the SEC is stepping down.
Kind of hate to hear that. Archie`s a class act, not to mention the fact that he knows a helluva lot about football.

UAME

All-SEC
Mar 28, 2000
Tuscumbia, AL
I personally can't imagine that serving on the committee is any more physically demanding than, say, attending Ole Miss / NFL football games (which, I'm fairly certain, I've seen Archie doing during the last week or two.)

More likely, Archie never considered the possibility that Ole Miss would be in contention for one of those 4 slots. He probably foresees the most likely scenario: Ole Miss will be one of mulitiple 1-loss teams that are worthy of consideration for the playoff. I think Archie a) suspects he can't be impartial due to his love for Ole Miss or b) (more likely) knows that his presence on the board would bring undeserved criticism to Ole Miss, himself, or the committee in general. It would be a Lose/Lose, regardless if OM was included or excluded.

Either way, it is a graceful exit by a class act. All the more reason to respect him.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I personally can't imagine that serving on the committee is any more physically demanding than, say, attending Ole Miss / NFL football games (which, I'm fairly certain, I've seen Archie doing during the last week or two.)

More likely, Archie never considered the possibility that Ole Miss would be in contention for one of those 4 slots. He probably foresees the most likely scenario: Ole Miss will be one of mulitiple 1-loss teams that are worthy of consideration for the playoff. I think Archie a) suspects he can't be impartial due to his love for Ole Miss or b) (more likely) knows that his presence on the board would bring undeserved criticism to Ole Miss, himself, or the committee in general. It would be a Lose/Lose, regardless if OM was included or excluded.

Either way, it is a graceful exit by a class act. All the more reason to respect him.
He hasn't had his knee surgery, yet. His travel will be limited then.

Gibson09

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 5, 2010
Looks like they are going to just have 12 members on the committee for the year. No replacement planned.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Are we sure it is health reasons?
Yes, I saw him speak at a benefit in August in Florence, AL. He could barely get up and down off the state. He did a good job with the presentation but I told my wife he didn't look good. He said that night he was having trouble with his knee replacement.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.

I agree he probably is so stoked that OM is in the position to win it all, that he recognizes he couldn't be partial. I'm not saying he doesn't have health problems, but I think he's using it as a opportunity to bow out.
I appreciate his move if this is the reason.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.