2014 NCAA Playoff-Can they keep Alabama out now?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I expect Alabama to win out. However, we need Ole Miss to lose and Bama needs to get to Atlanta and beat Georgia. This playoff system favors conference champions--If Oregon and FSU win out they are in plus the SEC Champ. The last spot will be reserved for either a one loss Big 12 or one loss Big 10 Champion. Better be pulling for LSU this weekend. Also be pulling like crazy for Louisville on Thursday night 30 Oct. I am planning to be at the FSU vs Louisville game in person.
Unfortunately, OM owns the tiebreaker on us. Even if we were to win out (and that's far from a sure thing) we need OM to lose twice, both losses being in the SEC, just to make it to Atlanta.

IF we win out -- a big if -- we'll definitely be one of the four best teams. But if OM doesn't lose twice, and barring an upset over OM in the SECCG by an SEC East team with 2+ losses, we'll be on the outside looking in.

Travesty though it would be, there's no way a one-loss Alabama team who isn't the SEC Champ gets in to the Final Four.

BamaFanOnBeach

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 15, 2007
Unfortunately, OM owns the tiebreaker on us. Even if we were to win out (and that's far from a sure thing) we need OM to lose twice, both losses being in the SEC, just to make it to Atlanta.

IF we win out -- a big if -- we'll definitely be one of the four best teams. But if OM doesn't lose twice, and barring an upset over OM in the SECCG by an SEC East team with 2+ losses, we'll be on the outside looking in.

Travesty though it would be, there's no way a one-loss Alabama team who isn't the SEC Champ gets in to the Final Four.
we could get in with a 1 loss OM team and 1 loss MSU team - if we win out and MSU beats OM, then we would have a three way and the highest rated team would win the tie breaker.... since our lost would be the oldest, we would most likely be the highest rated of the 3 one loss teams..... it isn't over yet!!

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
we could get in with a 1 loss OM team and 1 loss MSU team - if we win out and MSU beats OM, then we would have a three way and the highest rated team would win the tie breaker.... since our lost would be the oldest, we would most likely be the highest rated of the 3 one loss teams..... it isn't over yet!!
Not sure how this became so widely-believed. Link

It would more than likely come down to rule G: Cumulative SEC record of cross-divisional opponents. Our cross-divisional opponents are currently 2-6 in the SEC (Florida 2-3, Tennessee 0-3). Mississippi State's opponents are 2-6 (Kentucky 2-2, Vanderbilt 0-4). Ole Miss' opponents are 0-7 (Vanderbilt 0-4, Tennessee 0-3).

If the season were to end today, Ole' Miss would be eliminated, bringing it to a two-way tie between us and Mississippi State, which we'd win by virtue of rule A: Head-to-head competition between the two tied teams. I will be pulling for Florida and against Kentucky and Vanderbilt for the rest of the season.

Last edited:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I'd like to remind everyone that November always straightens out the playing field with respect to rankings and wins/losses. Every year a previously unbeatable juggernaut or two loses inexplicably to a lesser team in November. So, while it's good to discuss the 47 ways we will not get it, let November work it's magic on the pretenders, and if we only have one loss, we'll be one of the few 1 loss teams heading into the playoffs. If we keep beating teams up like Texas A&M, it could be a good thing, as it's possible we could be the only 1 loss SEC team after the SEC championship game without playing in it.
I actually think this had been pretty much mentioned by almost everyone throughout this thread. We are simply pointing out and debating where OP's paradigm may have flaws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk yuuyyyy

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Yall gave done a good job dissecting this so far. And I believe it's perfect evidence why Archie Manning has removed himself from the committee while the getting is good. Whether you are looking at this from any conference point of view it's a train wreck in the making. At least with BCS you could hide behind the math dilute the effect of a single vote in a larger pool and your bias be relatively anonymous. You trade all those benefits for this? I know people are talking about it but it is quickly going to be for the wrong reasons. This has scandal written all over it. I am telling you this has the potential to be the most decisive thing to hit CF in a long long time. And those who talking about 1966 all over again are correct. While Bama might avoid getting 66'd this go around it might be another deserving team. And if you are fan of college football that ought to disturb you. This will undo all the progress made over the last 50 years...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
This ESPN article makes me at least feel better.
One of the committee members saying that Conference Championships aren't really that important.
http://espn.go.com/college-football...e-gould-expects-top-four-teams-become-clearer
I saw another quote, and I can't remember who it was, but they said conference champions would only be a "tie breaker". I do, however absolutely believe some committee members will argue on behalf of conference champions, but I get the feeling that is mainly a Big 10 and Pac 12 thing (they'll vote for each other if they can, they think the post season is intended solely for them anyway). That's bad though, but at the end of the day I just don't see them finding a way to actually justify it in this scenario and sanity should prevail.

Also, I'll point out that the Big 12 is not in a good position to get in, and that's one reason that people who are arguing for conference champions being included are hanging their hat on TCU. Auburn beat Kansas State, and Alabama beat West Virginia, who beat Baylor. The committee specifically stated they would compare common opponents, so a one loss Baylor getting in over Alabama is a hard sell. In either case, it looks like the SEC West owns the Big 12, with Kansas St. tops in the conference and WVU tied for second, there's not much of a case to be made for passing up a one loss SEC West team for any of those. If, however TCU runs through Kansas State and WVU, then people can discount those wins and that's what they're hoping for.

Yall gave done a good job dissecting this so far. And I believe it's perfect evidence why Archie Manning has removed himself from the committee while the getting is good. Whether you are looking at this from any conference point of view it's a train wreck in the making.
I have to admit, Archie leaving makes me nervous and you have to wonder under what circumstance he decided to make an exit. However, it also shines more light on the remaining committee members and if they choose to screw over the SEC after his exit, it will bring out a lot of theories that paint them in bad light.

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

It would more than likely come down to rule G: Cumulative SEC record of cross-divisional opponents. Our cross-divisional opponents are currently 2-6 in the SEC (Florida 2-3, Tennessee 0-3). Mississippi State's opponents are 2-6 (Kentucky 2-2, Vanderbilt 0-4). Ole Miss' opponents are 0-7 (Vanderbilt 0-4, Tennessee 0-3).

If the season were to end today, Ole' Miss would be eliminated, bringing it to a two-way tie between us and Mississippi State, which we'd win by virtue of rule A: Head-to-head competition between the two tied teams. I will be pulling for Florida and against Kentucky and Vanderbilt for the rest of the season.
Thanks for the research...this is really helpful.

We need to root for OM to lose and for State to win every game except, of course, when we play State.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I honestly think the bigger question is will the SEC have two teams in the 4 if we DO win out and win the SEC championship game. Obviously Ole Miss would have had to loose one to get us to the SEC game. Does the Egg Bowl winner get in too?

BamaFanOnBeach

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 15, 2007

It looks like they changed (or added) rules 2.g and 2.h this year. It was decided by the highest ranked BCS team at one point very recently (maybe last year or year before last was last I looked it up). I guess with the BCS gone, they changed it up. I think it would be hilarious if it came down to a coin flip. Still looks like we would be in pretty good shape with a 3 way tie.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I honestly think the bigger question is will the SEC have two teams in the 4 if we DO win out and win the SEC championship game. Obviously Ole Miss would have had to loose one to get us to the SEC game. Does the Egg Bowl winner get in too?
Correct me if I'm wrong everybody, but I think Ole Miss will have to lose 2.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
I'll just say this. If the objective of the committee is anything less than to pick the best four teams in college football, regardless of conference status, or finishing position, it needs to cease to exist immediately.
That simple.
sip
The BCS was about picking the best 'two' team in america....

...until two SEC teams got in...

IF the committee was about picking the best 4 team, no problem...but its not.

Its about making sure that doesnt happen again...conference championships counting, ambigueties in factors the committee use...keping members votes confidential...

its about allowing subjectvitiy into the process...providing a sifficient smokescreen to justify not having two teams from the same conference in.....
if not, then why arent we using the BCS model, and taking the top 4 teams from the polls????

thats my take...but, we'll see how it plays out.

we lost a game and allowed the discusion to take place...now we just have to focus on winning the rest and let the cards fall.

Last edited:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

"If the season were to end today, Ole' Miss would be eliminated,"???????????????????????

Football - 2014 Standings

SEC - East
CONFOVERALLHOMEROADPFPASTRK
Georgia
4-16-14-02-1304140W5
Missouri
2-15-22-23-0215150W1
Kentucky
2-25-25-00-2222153L1
Florida
2-33-32-21-1172153L2
South Carolina
2-34-33-21-1246220W1
Tennessee
0-33-43-10-3171149L1
Vanderbilt
0-42-52-30-2123238W1

SEC - West
Ole Miss
4-07-04-02-024874W7
Mississippi St
3-06-04-02-0251120W6
Alabama
3-16-14-01-125892W2
Auburn
2-15-14-01-1233110L1
LSU
2-26-24-11-1285136W2
Texas A&M
2-35-32-12-2307217L3
Arkansas
0-43-42-21-1268188L3

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
You are wrong. If Bama beats state, and state beats Ole Miss. One loss will work. If we own the tie breaker, at this point someone said we do. That could change though.
They weren't discussing a 3 way tie. A 3,4,or 5 way tie, with only SEC West losses, with the barn would put them in the SECCG.

Last edited:

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I love all the assertions in this thread based on incomplete information, random, out of context statements, and assumptions about the state of mind of a dozen people two months from now.
And, of course, if you disagree, you're obviously just plain stupid.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
"If the season were to end today, Ole' Miss would be eliminated,"???????????????????????

Football - 2014 Standings

SEC - East
Georgia
4-16-14-02-1304140W5
Missouri
2-15-22-23-0215150W1
Kentucky
2-25-25-00-2222153L1
Florida
2-33-32-21-1172153L2
South Carolina
2-34-33-21-1246220W1
Tennessee
0-33-43-10-3171149L1
Vanderbilt
0-42-52-30-2123238W1

SEC - West
Ole Miss
4-07-04-02-024874W7
Mississippi St
3-06-04-02-0251120W6
Alabama
3-16-14-01-125892W2
Auburn
2-15-14-01-1233110L1
LSU
2-26-24-11-1285136W2
Texas A&M
2-35-32-12-2307217L3
Arkansas
0-43-42-21-1268188L3

Yes, because State and Ole Miss would be tied and State wins the tie breaker because their SEC East opponents have better overall records.(Or something like that)

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Yes, because State and Ole Miss would be tied and State wins the tie breaker because their SEC East opponents have better overall records.(Or something like that)
Actually, at this point, it wouldn't get to that level because Ole Miss' opponents from the West have a better record. But, by season's end, Ole Miss and MSU will have played the same opponents from the West, so then they will look at opponents' records in the East and MSU wins that.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.