Film Study: Alabama Will Ride defensive Dominance to Final Four

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Great read about the front 7.

While the rhetoric may change on a weekly basis, in regard to Sims and the offense, one thing has remained constant: The Alabama defense is playing as well as its ever played under head coach Nick Saban.

That’s a scary thought, people. For the rest of the conference, that is.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
I'm reading the article now. I'm busting my side over ....University of Auburn....

After all, Texas A&M piled up a mountain of points and yards behind generational quarterback Johnny Manziel, while the University of Auburn snatched a spot in the title game away from Bama behind its innovative spread-to-rush offense.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
"As well as it's ever played under head coach Nick Saban?" I don't know - did he see the 2011 version?
2011 is the gold standard, and overall we haven't played to that level. However, this game was one of the best defensive performances of the Saban era. 6 sacks and holding the #4 offense the country to no points and 167 yards of offense is unvelievable. Even with all of issues with TDP out and Sylve getting toasted, we held WVU to by far their worst game of the year. It remains to be seen what they can do the rest of year. This was the first game all year that all of our secondary starters were healthy. They are also on pace to have the highest number of sacks in the Saban era, and to this point, it is the best rushing defense we've had in the Saban era.

I don't want to get too excited, but if this is what this group looks like healthy, WATCH OUT! TAMU put up 455 yards on OM and 526 on MSU.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
2011 is the gold standard, and overall we haven't played to that level. However, this game was one of the best defensive performances of the Saban era. 6 sacks and holding the #4 offense the country to no points and 167 yards of offense is unvelievable. Even with all of issues with TDP out and Sylve getting toasted, we held WVU to by far their worst game of the year. It remains to be seen what they can do the rest of year. This was the first game all year that all of our secondary starters were healthy. They are also on pace to have the highest number of sacks in the Saban era, and to this point, it is the best rushing defense we've had in the Saban era.

I don't want to get too excited, but if this is what this group looks like healthy, WATCH OUT! TAMU put up 455 yards on OM and 526 on MSU.
Heck, TAMU's season average is still 518 yards per game after Bama holding them to 167 yards. That's ridiculous.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Texas A&M's Offensive Yards
vs. South Carolina - 680 (52 points)
vs. Lamar - 630 (73 points)
vs. Rice - 477 (38 points)
vs. SMU - 663 (58 points)
vs. Arkansas - 523 (35 points)
vs. MSU - 526 (31 points)
vs. Ole Miss - 455 (20 points)
vs. Alabama - 172 (0 points)

Just an absolutely dominant performance.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Heck, TAMU's season average is still 518 yards per game after Bama holding them to 167 yards. That's ridiculous.
Agreed. Another odd stat is that we put up 672 on Florida, and they are ranked #13th nationally in defense allowing on 313 yards per game. This was without playing Idaho, which would have no doubt brought that average down even more.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

I was way more impressed with the defense we played than the 59 points we scored, for the reasons you just exhibited. That's just phenomenal defense.

JQBama42

Scout Team
Sep 24, 2014
Enid, OK
The defense has a swagger about them that has been missing the earlier part of the season. The Arkansas game was a turning point for them. Not that they were bad before that by any means. After watching the game a second and third time the defensive guys just seem to have more of an edge to them now, a nastiness. Does anyone else get jacked up when the MDB plays the song from Les Miserables when we make a big defensive stop? Roll Tide!

After the Ole Miss loss, the team was reeling a little bit. We had a lot of injuries, but we had way more dumb mistakes. It seems like they were on a mission to stop Arky's rushing attack and they did. Offense should have scored more points than they did, but we still won anyway. I think the team is beginning to gel now. We have a defense, who isn't at full strength by the way, that is just nasty. It is only getting better. The corner spots are getting locked down now and we are getting healthy on top of that. Just gotta keep playing.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I like it when our D plays like it`s a personal affront to give up a first down. Last couple of weeks they`ve played that way. When I hear "Let the horse run" I personally think more of the D side of the ball. Play in control, but widen the game plan to allow for the expression of the athleticism that these kids no doubt possess. Maybe that means simplifying things a little bit ?

Had to put this stat on FB. Thanks!

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
I really enjoyed watching the D saturday. Reminded me of all the great D's of the past where the players swarmed to the ball;made hard/clean hits and looked like they enjoyed the challenge and celebrated each others plays. Both sides of the looked like they were having fun. Honestly, I haven't seen a lot of that in 5 or 6 years. JMHO. RTR.

BamaRevT

1st Team
Apr 10, 2002
Fayetteville, Tn.
texas a&m's offensive yards
vs. South carolina - 680 (52 points)
vs. Smu - 663 (58 points)
vs. Msu - 526 (31 points)
vs. Ole miss - 455 (20 points)

just an absolutely dominant performance.[/quote

AWESOME !!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.