News Article: Phil Steele grades Alabama’s 59-0 win as college football’s best performance in years

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
I still don't understand A&M going for it on their last play. They had nothing to gain by it. I thought surely they would kick the field goal if for nothing else to avoid a shutout. A complete blow out is bad enough, but getting shutout at the same time is just plain humiliating.
It would have been even more humiliating if they missed the field goal. The were able to maintain dignity by going for it.

RdunawayTX

3rd Team
Sep 24, 2011
... And this was one of Gary's worst called games. He needs to come up with new material and quit trying to sell the game so hard. It was over and over soon. Too bad they couldn't put the 2nd and 3rd stringers in for G&V. ;)
Every game I listen to is his worst called game.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
This game was the game I have been expecting from Bama EVERY game for several years now. Kicking butt and taking names and leaving no doubt to anyone as to which is the best team in CFB.

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
I've got to give Sumlin credit for going for it on 4th. It's surely tempting to let your players avoid a shutout by putting up 3 against the other team's backups, but he probably wants the defeat to sting as much as possible so it becomes a teachable moment.

I could understand Gary and Verne making a big deal of the "almost interception" when the game was 0-0, but to act like it would have changed the game some 52 Bama points later is just ridiculous. But to be fair, that was about the only thing aTm did right and he's got to say something positive about them.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
Not surprising at all. It was a true annihilation of a quality opponent.
I agree, but of you listen to the media they will have you believing aTm was overrated. My question to the media is who was responsible for the over hype after their opening game against USCe? It wasn't the fans or the players.

tftplisa

1st Team
Jul 11, 2003
North Ridgeville, Ohio, USA
Even now A&M is top ranked offense in Total offense and West Virginia is #4. That says a lot of how we have improved vs. fast paced up tempo offenses. Look at the yardage A&M put up on both Ole Miss and Miss State. Yet once we beat em, they are not so good.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.