News Article: Phil Steele grades Alabama’s 59-0 win as college football’s best performance in years

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
Except for that single kick return, it was.
Thanks for the post. I certainly can't argue with it. And the interesting thing is that the single long kick return occurred against mostly second/third string Alabama players who hadn't seen much field action since high school. I still give the perfect game to the starters and am glad they got to rest and stay injury-free for a large part of the second half. I'll trade one long kick return against us for healthy starters any day. What a great game. Roll tide!.

TNBama

1st Team
Apr 19, 2000
Knoxville, TN. USA
I still don't understand A&M going for it on their last play. They had nothing to gain by it. I thought surely they would kick the field goal if for nothing else to avoid a shutout. A complete blow out is bad enough, but getting shutout at the same time is just plain humiliating.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I still don't understand A&M going for it on their last play. They had nothing to gain by it. I thought surely they would kick the field goal if for nothing else to avoid a shutout. A complete blow out is bad enough, but getting shutout at the same time is just plain humiliating.
I was expecting A&M to go ahead and kick the FG and avoid the shutout, also. Nothing substantial to be gained by going for it there. I bet his players would rather have 3 on the board that trying maybe to prove their manhood. That train had already left the station.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I was expecting A&M to go ahead and kick the FG and avoid the shutout, also. Nothing substantial to be gained by going for it there. I bet his players would rather have 3 on the board that trying maybe to prove their manhood. That train had already left the station.
Sumlin said at halftime that they playing for pride. He said the guys that continued to play hard would play next week and the ones that didn't, wouldn't.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
That was the best first half of football I've ever seen a Bama team play.
Had we left all the starters in and poured it on, it may have turned out to be the greatest performance in Bama, if not all of football history.(Please don't bring up Georgia Tech scoring 222 points).
With them deflated and just getting killed on defense, we may could have broke a hundred, or at least 90.
I'm glad we didn't do that.
But that was a jaw dropping Bama performance.
sip

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
I thank Sumlin for going for it instead of the FG. He basically said, y'all have played a heck of a game and if we score we'll do it the hard way, we won't spoil your perfect game with some field goal cheese.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I have more respect for Sumlin for going for it on 4th. Finding the end zone would be a win on that drive. Kicking a field goal after a long return is giving up. Good job CKS.

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
Sumlin kicking a field goal does not help his team get better, going for it on fourth down may have had some benefit,,,but I doubt it lol

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.