Have we played the toughest defense we`ll see all year?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
overall yes. but i think MSU will have the best defensive front we will face.
State's front is way better, but their secondary isn't, even though they have improved substantially.
Overall, that makes Ole Miss the best. Shut down corners and great safety play is very tough to beat.
I can't see us playing Ole Miss again so I'd answer "yes" to the OP.
sip

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Yep. Ole Miss defense really is Alabama-good. By far, the best we'll face all year.

Believe it or not, Auburn is actually playing pretty good defense this year as well - certainly much better than we're used to from them, maybe the second best we'll see in the regular season. LSU, MSU, and UT are all playing decent defense on the whole, though LSU and UT seem to be very inconsistent.

In a conference and division known for defense, this is defensively the best year that I can remember in the western division top to bottom, with only Texas A&M and to a lesser extent Arkansas being less than pretty good. IMO, UT is probably fielding the best defense in the East. Maybe Georgia.
georgia's defense is offensive. but compared to the rest of the crap fest that is the east this year, i guess they would be in the top half

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
They put a lot of pressure on opposing quarterbacks, tied for 8th against FBS competition in sacks, tied for 7th in tackles for loss. Consequently, they give up a lot of big plays, particularly through the air. If Sims can get rid of the ball quickly, he should have a big day. slants and screens should be productive. Conversely, if he takes too much time finding targets or if the OL can't provide good pass protection, might be a long day for Blake, because State will send the heat. My bet is that Blake has a great day.

MSU is also a bend-but-don't-break defense. They give up a lot of yards, but tighten down in the red zone, 2nd against FBS competition in RZ scoring and 12th in total scoring. We'll get the yards. And I think we'll get the points. But they won't come as easily as the yards.
We've actually done great protecting against some very good pass rushers this year. Arkansas was the only game we've struggled protecting Blake, and I still believe injuries and mental issues caused that. I really believe that game was an anomaly.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Yup..And when we play against The Barn, they always takes the level of play up that extra notch, and plays us tough as nails usually & harder than any D we usually play despite where they're ranked on the D side of the ball..
I agree with this. AU's normally eighty something ranked defenses look like good when we play them. I have a sneaky feeling that they are going to be walking into a buzz saw this year in BDS. Motivation will not be a factor in that game, I don't think.

I'll say this: AU and MSU's offenses live and die by their running game, and our rush defense this year is something serious. Before Sat, I thought we matched up with both of them better than we did TAMU. If this defense continues to improve in pass defense, I see both of them having a hard time beating us if our offense shows up.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
I hope we face every team from here on out as if they have the toughest defense we will face. That way, we remain level-headed and don't get blindsided by the amped-up teams who have had our game circled all year. We do that and we win out, IMO ensuring a playoff spot. Roll Tide.

BamaGene

Scout Team
Jun 14, 2014
State's stats

http://stats.ncaa.org/team/index/11980?org_id=430.0

88th in total defense

Bama will curb stomp them
Watched the game from the Starkvegas stands last year (froze my ..... off). We had arguably a better offense than this year, they had arguably a lesser defense than this year. We had a fairly tough game, given that result not sure where the curb-stomping is going to come from.

Although one can hope, eh?

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I hope we face every team from here on out as if they have the toughest defense we will face. That way, we remain level-headed and don't get blindsided by the amped-up teams who have had our game circled all year. We do that and we win out, IMO ensuring a playoff spot. Roll Tide.
Absolutely the best approach to take for the reason stated. I hope and expect that that will be the coaching staff`s approach in preparing the O.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.