Have we played the toughest defense we`ll see all year?

peariver

1st Team
Jan 31, 2009
SW Georgia
What do we think of Mississippi State's defense? I haven't watch their games that much.
The run defense is good and only allowing 20 ppg but their great offense and a good defense have them ranked #1 IMO. Their quarterback is impressive and a solid leader for that unit. but this question was about defense.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
What do we think of Mississippi State's defense? I haven't watch their games that much.
They are weaker in the secondary than OM. Not bad but just not as good as OM. We should be able to have a little more success on offense against MSU..

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Bama put up 400 yds against the best D they will face, OM - in their 1st road game. They may get a rematch in the playoff. IMO, Bama is 10-14 pts better than OM on a neutral field.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Absolutely, I've been comparing their defense to some of the Alabama and LSU defenses of the recent past.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
dont underestimate Miss State because they most likely will be the most complete team we play all year.As far as defense I think MSU has the edge on dline but everything else Ole miss is better. So to answer the question... Yes we have seen the best defense in the country.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Yep. Ole Miss defense really is Alabama-good. By far, the best we'll face all year.

Believe it or not, Auburn is actually playing pretty good defense this year as well - certainly much better than we're used to from them, maybe the second best we'll see in the regular season. LSU, MSU, and UT are all playing decent defense on the whole, though LSU and UT seem to be very inconsistent.

In a conference and division known for defense, this is defensively the best year that I can remember in the western division top to bottom, with only Texas A&M and to a lesser extent Arkansas being less than pretty good. IMO, UT is probably fielding the best defense in the East. Maybe Georgia.

Last edited:

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
State's stats

http://stats.ncaa.org/team/index/11980?org_id=430.0

88th in total defense

Bama will curb stomp them
They put a lot of pressure on opposing quarterbacks, tied for 8th against FBS competition in sacks, tied for 7th in tackles for loss. Consequently, they give up a lot of big plays, particularly through the air. If Sims can get rid of the ball quickly, he should have a big day. slants and screens should be productive. Conversely, if he takes too much time finding targets or if the OL can't provide good pass protection, might be a long day for Blake, because State will send the heat. My bet is that Blake has a great day.

MSU is also a bend-but-don't-break defense. They give up a lot of yards, but tighten down in the red zone, 2nd against FBS competition in RZ scoring and 12th in total scoring. We'll get the yards. And I think we'll get the points. But they won't come as easily as the yards.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
OM is the best defense in the SEC besides maybe ours when we are healthy and clicking. Florida's is actually the second best we've played. Florida is ranked 13th Nationally, allowing 313 yards per game. They would be a top 10 defense all day long if not for our 672 yard day against them.

A lot of people won't acknowledge it, but we had an awesome performance against a very stout defense against UF.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Yup..And when we play against The Barn, they always takes the level of play up that extra notch, and plays us tough as nails usually & harder than any D we usually play despite where they're ranked on the D side of the ball..
Yep. Ole Miss defense really is Alabama-good. By far, the best we'll face all year.

Believe it or not, Auburn is actually playing pretty good defense this year as well - certainly much better than we're used to from them, maybe the second best we'll see in the regular season. LSU, MSU, and UT are all playing decent defense on the whole, though LSU and UT seem to be very inconsistent.

In a conference and division known for defense, this is defensively the best year that I can remember in the western division top to bottom, with only Texas A&M and to a lesser extent Arkansas being less than pretty good. IMO, UT is probably fielding the best defense in the East. Maybe Georgia.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.