The Hammer Falls: Mike Hubbard Indicted

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Clicky

MONTGOMERY, Alabama --- Mike Hubbard, speaker of the Alabama House of Representatives and a powerful leader in the state Republican Party, has been indicted by a grand jury and charged with 23 counts, including using his office for personal gain and soliciting things of value.

23 counts, 2-20 years, per count. Former gov Bob Riley and AU booster Jimmy Rane (among others) have been implicated.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
If this goes anything like Edwin Edwards' first trial in Louisiana in the 80's, look for a mixture of truly prosecutable offenses and political opportunism. The Edwards trial (Edwards was and is a buffoon, BTW) seemed slimy at times from either perspective. It took a second run at Edwards by the Feds in the 90's to get him put away, by which time he had sullied the reputation of the entire state, if that is possible for Louisiana.

Hopefully, this will be a cleaner and better thought out prosecution.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
If this goes anything like Edwin Edwards' first trial in Louisiana in the 80's, look for a mixture of truly prosecutable offenses and political opportunism. The Edwards trial (Edwards was and is a buffoon, BTW) seemed slimy at times from either perspective. It took a second run at Edwards by the Feds in the 90's to get him put away, by which time he had sullied the reputation of the entire state, if that is possible for Louisiana.

Hopefully, this will be a cleaner and better thought out prosecution.
Heeee's Baaaack!
http://www.edwinedwards4congress.com/

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
An Aubie involved in corruption?!? Can't be true! For those who don't know Hubbard started the AU radio network.

Edit: It was hilarious to hear Leland on his radio show defend Hubbard and his Aubie friends (specifically Jimmy Rane).

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I'm always pleased when apparently corrupt public officials are brought up on charges.
If he actually did the things he is charged with, I hope he gets a cell next to Bob McDonnell and Rod Blagojevich.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
When it comes to dealing with corruption in own's own party, the contrasts are stark.
In 1974, Republicans (to their credit and the country's benefit) went to Nixon and told him he would have to resign.
In 1998, when Dick Morris told Clinton that public opinion polling would favor his impeachment and removal, Clinton told him, "Well, we'll just have to win, then." And members of his party closed ranks and tried to paint the corruption investigation as a partisan witch hunt. The Democrat attitude in this case was, in effect, "If a guy in my party commits perjury and obstruction of justice, well, he's still a member of my party and I will defend him to the death, the country be ___ed."

twofbyc

Suspended
Oct 14, 2009
They all do it, they have all done it, and they will all continue to do it. Their only salvation is keeping the PTB happy, so no one comes snooping. Somebody I saw on an interview said "Well, all politicians work for a living (say what?), so obviously there are going to be situations involving them being involved in legislation or decisions that are connected to that work. How could it not happen?" Not an exact quote, but it's pretty close.
Sweet Home Alabama....

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
I'm always pleased when apparently corrupt public officials are brought up on charges.
If he actually did the things he is charged with, I hope he gets a cell next to Bob McDonnell and Rod Blagojevich.
Speaking of McDonnell and your state of Virginia, could you have two governors in prison at the same time?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.