Blake present and Blake future...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
He'll be on campus in a little more than 2 months and I fully expect him to come in ready to compete in the spring.

I really wouldn't be surprised if he or Cornwell don't make a strong push for PT next fall.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Certainly hope so. Anyone who can push the level of competition in the quarterback position will be welcome.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This is either Blake's second or third game of the season. I haven't seen anyone question his commitment, but the amount of money his family has spent on travel to Tuscaloosa from California should stop any negative nancy from doing so.

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005
I've wondered how close the guys that are leaving get with incoming recruits. The other day Greg McElroy acted as if he didn't know Curt Frietag at all, which sort of surprised me. I know they weren't on the team at the same time but I would've thought Greg would have been on the team while CF was being recruited.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
How does everyone see the QB competition next year playing out with Cornwell, Bateman, Morris, Coker, and Barnett? To early to tell?

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
This is either Blake's second or third game of the season. I haven't seen anyone question his commitment, but the amount of money his family has spent on travel to Tuscaloosa from California should stop any negative nancy from doing so.

I follow him on twitter and you would think he was born and raised a Bama fan. He definitely bleeds crimson.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
You'd have to think the season Blake is having is helping pave way for the other Blake. Clearly, Alabama can use his skill set.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
How does everyone see the QB competition next year playing out with Cornwell, Bateman, Morris, Coker, and Barnett? To early to tell?
Who knows.

During spring practice and early fall camp, we hear Bateman is coming along well and appears to be the #3 guy. Then, Morris is the #3 guy during games.

Looking at it for now, I would say Coker is the #1 guy with the others battling for #2. Blake probably takes a redshirt unless he really impresses and Bateman or Morris transfer.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I'm thinking Coker, Cornwell, and Barnett are the realistic contenders for starter. I've had high hopes for Bateman but he has just never worked out/made a push. If he can find a different home like Ely, Del Rio, and Mcleod have that might be his personal best option if playing time is what he wants. Morris has been here so long I don't think he has time left to make a change.

I still wouldn't sleep on Cornwell. That kid's HS highlights are as good as anyone we've highly recruited lately plus he's a super hard worker with natural leadership abilities that other players gravitate to. If the playbook 'light' comes on this spring and summer I would not be shocked at all if he passed Coker.

Barnett looks flat AWESOME but barring disastrous circumstances I just can't see starting a True FR QB. We always redshirt them.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Much like the last two years, attrition at QB. Morris stays, if we was going to leave he would have been gone last year. It is down to Bateman and Cornwell. Of the two I think Bateman heads back to Utah if he wants to start somewhere. We then have Coker, Morris, Cornwell and Barnett.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Who knows.
Looking at it for now, I would say Coker is the #1 guy with the others battling for #2. Blake probably takes a redshirt unless he really impresses and Bateman or Morris transfer.
I think Coker is going to be the guy, at least to the extent that Blake Sims was given every chance to earn the starting job. If Coker is overtaken, it will have to be in demonstrable fashion.

I said all along he needed development, and he still does, but it's hard to imagine Coker not being the most developed next year and I see no way a true freshman could win out. I agree that Blake almost certainly takes a redshirt and it would take something remarkable to change that.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I've thought a lot about it already and I've just got a couple of early predictions/opinions:

1. David Cornwell is oozing with skill and leadership potential. He's got size and quickness and reportedly his arm is good too! By next fall he'll have gone through two springs and a full season (currently). He'll know the system!

2. Jake Coker: I seriously wonder if his ship might have sailed. I like watching his interaction with BS on the sidelines and he seems to be a team player, but I just wonder if, with all his physical measurables, he has the "in the game" moxy. He'll just have next year and unless he pulls way out in front of everybody else, I don't see the benefit of having him at the starting position to only be here one year (if younger guys can do a similarly good job I'd go with a younger qb).

3. Blake Barnett: He'll have the spring and fall camp. His ceiling might be the highest of them all, but it's just really rare for a true freshman, even with a spring practice under their belt, to come in and play at this level. But he seems to have a skill set that is closer to Blake Sims, but he has better measurables for the pocket.

4. Morris and Bateman: Based on how Coker has looked at times, if he's ahead of them right now I just don't know if they'll ever see the field as the starter.

One thing is for sure, there should be a great competition next spring and I know TideFans will have a healthy debate about it. ;)

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.