News Article: Mother wants 'Breaking Bad' figures removed from Toys R Us

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Neither response offends me. I personally fall into the "if you don't like it don't buy it" crowd, but boycotts and petitions are fair game in the free market. It's only when governmental agencies step in that I start getting disgruntled.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Neither response offends me. I personally fall into the "if you don't like it don't buy it" crowd, but boycotts and petitions are fair game in the free market. It's only when governmental agencies step in that I start getting disgruntled.
They seem to be using public pressure to get them to drop it. If they have a bad Christmas season because people won't shop there, they may stop carrying it.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Toys 'R Us Pulls 'Breaking Bad' Action Figures After Petition

The children’s emporium Toys 'R Us is pulling a line of action figures based on characters from the ultra-violent cable series “Breaking Bad” after complaints that the toys glamorized the murderous drug trade featured on the show.

The figures included high-school chemistry teacher turned drug kingpin Walter White and his sidekick delinquent Jesse Pinkman. The dolls came with toy accessories that included a detachable bag of cash and a bag of methamphetamine.

In a statement that borrowed a line from the show, Toys 'R Us spokeswoman Kathleen Waugh told NBC News on Tuesday: "Let's just say, the action figures have taken an 'indefinite sabbatical.’”
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ing-bad-action-figures-after-petition-n231146
I guess the marketplace has spoken

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Sad that they are bullied into pulling these toys. All these boycotts and petitions are overboard. :rolleye2:

Reminds me of when the Children's Place pulled a shirt because some thought it was "sexist". It was a cute little girls shirt...not a big deal. Some people need to get over themselves.

Here was the shirt

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Sad that they are bullied into pulling these toys. All these boycotts and petitions are overboard. :rolleye2:

Reminds me of when the Children's Place pulled a shirt because some thought it was "sexist". It was a cute little girls shirt...not a big deal. Some people need to get over themselves.

Here was the shirt

Well, I'm a guy, and I find that shirt offensive. It would not be allowed in my house.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Honest question...why?

I am obviously a woman and I don't find it offensive at all.
The use of Math in that list, which promotes a negative stereotype about the mental abilities of girls. Look, I have a daughter who is all girl. She owns enough shoes and clothes to go at least a month without repeating an outfit, and of course she loves jewelry. However, she is also pretty good at math and enjoys making A's in the subject. I want and expect my daughters (and my sons) to excel in all academic subjects, so no, a shirt like that is not coming into my house.

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
The use of Math in that list, which promotes a negative stereotype about the mental abilities of girls. Look, I have a daughter who is all girl. She owns enough shoes and clothes to go at least a month without repeating an outfit, and of course she loves jewelry. However, she is also pretty good at math and enjoys making A's in the subject. I want and expect my daughters (and my sons) to excel in all academic subjects, so no, a shirt like that is not coming into my house.
FWIW, I used to tutor chemistry. One of the biggest obstacles people face is this preconceived notion that the subject is hard, when it really isn't. I could easier teach a 12 year old who hadn't heard anything about chemistry than an adult who heard it was hard.

I can understand how some people might see the shirt as a harmless joke, but I could also see how others might view it as a subtle seed of toxic thought.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

Fair point. I see where you are coming from. I am not sure if I would buy a shirt like this...but I also wouldn't do a petition to remove it.

I am pretty easy going and just don't buy the things I don't like.

Last edited:

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
So "Breaking Bad" toys are no good to sell at a TRU but the story is allowed to keep the toy guns that look like assault rifles, etc?

The wussification of America continues.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Instructive on the hubris if the thought processes involved: The same people who bray, "If you don't agree with abortion, don't have one," also reserve the choice of whether you should be able to buy an action figure or t-shirt that they find objectionable to themselves and themselves alone.

[blue font]The benighted general public should have choice on things I advocate, but no choice on things I oppose. I know better than you....mind your betters. And all that.[end blue font]

Personally, I wouldn't have either images of a meth dealer, or an empty-headed bimbo in my house. I definitely wouldn't buy them, and might speak out against the concepts. But I wouldn't attempt to preclude that choice to anyone else.

[blue font intentionally omitted] Next thing ya know, we're going to shut down speech that we don't agree with....Oh. Wait....Nevermind. [end blue font intentionally omitted]

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.