According to BOL Officials Warned the Staff of a Penalty if Bama Players Celebrated A

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I have to admit I kind of expected the flag to be thrown. I have to respect the officials giving Alabama a warning instead of just trying to have an impact on the game over something that should have no impact.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
It wasn't preplanned like the thing the Georgia players did that time. I guess the ref was just saying he didn't want them to make a habit of doing that.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I thought they would have gotten flagged at the time. But I also didn't care...my husband and I were cheering right with them.

Geez...let kids have fun.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I thought it was a great "no call." He wasn't calling attention to himself but was with his teammates and it was very impromptu.

The thing the refs should be worried about it a player calling attention to himself by gestures or taunting the other team.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
There were several times when that happened--after DHenry's TD reception, he was making some kind of sign to the student section and an official quickly went up to him to tell him to tone it down.

In the 2006 Arkansas game, aka “The game that made everyone give up on Mike Shula”, we were in the second overtime, and the defense intercepted the hogs, which meant that we just had to make a chip shot FG to win the game. The db who made the catch and two other players near him started jumping up and down in celebration--nothing excessive, the usual thing you see after a turnover. The official nearest to them headed towards them to tell them to tone it down, but before he got there, an official across the field threw a flag for unsportsmanlike. That official insisted on the penalty—you could see the closer official trying to talk him out of it--pushing our starting spot for out possession from the 25 yard line—within Tiffin’s range—to the 40 yard line. And from there we did Shula’s patented “Darby up the middle” nonsense.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
i dont know why we cant just kick it out of the end zone every time
No blue text...but Speedy Noil wondered the same thing after the second one. I saw the return man literally crumple and fall to the ground after Foster delivered the second big hit

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
No blue text...but Speedy Noil wondered the same thing after the second one. I saw the return man literally crumple and fall to the ground after Foster delivered the second big hit
i posted in the game thread that sumlin was going to have to offer noil a bonus to go back on the field again to return kicks. he was getting plastered.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
That's a pretty "standard" warning and CNS is using it to his advantage in the press.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
So these would be the same officials who literally run to place the ball when dealing w the likes of Auburn, while ignoring the fact that the offenses aren't set before the ball is snapped.

Priorities....

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
There were several times when that happened--after DHenry's TD reception, he was making some kind of sign to the student section and an official quickly went up to him to tell him to tone it down.

In the 2006 Arkansas game, aka “The game that made everyone give up on Mike Shula”, we were in the second overtime, and the defense intercepted the hogs, which meant that we just had to make a chip shot FG to win the game. The db who made the catch and two other players near him started jumping up and down in celebration--nothing excessive, the usual thing you see after a turnover. The official nearest to them headed towards them to tell them to tone it down, but before he got there, an official across the field threw a flag for unsportsmanlike. That official insisted on the penalty—you could see the closer official trying to talk him out of it--pushing our starting spot for out possession from the 25 yard line—within Tiffin’s range—to the 40 yard line. And from there we did Shula’s patented “Darby up the middle” nonsense.

If that's true. that is just stupid.....bama has been making that sign since 2009. it started with Ingram and Richardson. Look i'm going to be honest. I'm not one of those "oh their always picking us, kind of guys". I never have been, never will be, and I've always been in support of the excessive celebration penalty within reason. but this is getting absurd. in 2008, Tebow and Moreno taunt the lsu fanbase with the phone call sign, and no penalty gets called. JPW does it and the referee pushes him and throws a flag on him. in 2010 bcs title game, Dareus gets flagged for simply chunking the ball after what looked like at the time the game clinching pick six. The rule is becoming too much.

Last edited:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
A couple of things. CMS had two memorable games against the Hogs. The first was in 2003, which is when we blew a 21-point second-half lead, intercepted Matt Jones in OT and then held a ceremonial scrum in the end zone. I was there. Half the stadium was screaming about the interception. The other half was screaming for our players to go the bench before the official threw the flag. In my opinion, we had ample time to avoid the penalty but couldn't contain ourselves, a hallmark of the Shula years. And it was Brian Bostick who missed the field goal.

The game that was the beginning of the end took place in 2006, when we kept running out the freshman Tiffin who was clearly in shock after the worst case of kicking shanks I've ever seen. Completely dominated the game only to somehow lose in overtime when Mitch Mustain threw the one decent pass of his career for a touchdown. Unlike our kicker, they managed to make the extra point.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.