Scenarios for the SEC to get two teams in four team playoff.

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
Yall are assuming that Ole Miss and Mittippi Tate won't lose to anyone else. I think Ole Miss will lose to both Auburn and Mittippi Tate. Bama will beat both Mittippi Tate and Allbarn.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I don't know why, but this is just a frustrating thread.

... "What no one's considered is what if Ole Miss loses to MSU, MSU loses to Alabama, Alabama beats MSU, Auburn loses only to Alabama, but Alabama loses to LSU, MSU loses to LSU, Ole Miss loses to Arkansas, Notre Dame doesn't lose any more, FSU loses to Duke, Baylor doesn't lose, Michigan State loses once - but in only in a 2 OT game to Ohio State but beats them in the Big 12 Championship, and Oregon goes to 8 OTs with UCLA which is then called due to weather so they end up with a tie on their record... Then four committee members are sick on selection Sunday so we are left with only 8 members, three of which are Pac-12 Homers... What then? Oh, my goodness!!!"

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
I don't know why, but this is just a frustrating thread.

... "What no one's considered is what if Ole Miss loses to MSU, MSU loses to Alabama, Alabama beats MSU, Auburn loses only to Alabama, but Alabama loses to LSU, MSU loses to LSU, Ole Miss loses to Arkansas, Notre Dame doesn't lose any more, FSU loses to Duke, Baylor doesn't lose, Michigan State loses once - but in only in a 2 OT game to Ohio State but beats them in the Big 12 Championship, and Oregon goes to 8 OTs with UCLA which is then called due to weather so they end up with a tie on their record... Then four committee members are sick on selection Sunday so we are left with only 8 members, three of which are Pac-12 Homers... What then? Oh, my goodness!!!"
fixed it for ya... i think :)

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I go back to my original statement, right now I only see two teams for sure getting in and that assumes they win out, which they should, and that is FSU and ND. Every other conference over the next month is up for grabs.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
WHy ND? If they win out they still will be behind some team... Dont be suprised to see ND not making the cuts... Now, if FSU drops a game this season, they can be out of the playoff picture fast, because this late in season... any loss will hurt any teams...
I go back to my original statement, right now I only see two teams for sure getting in and that assumes they win out, which they should, and that is FSU and ND. Every other conference over the next month is up for grabs.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
WHy ND? If they win out they still will be behind some team... Dont be suprised to see ND not making the cuts... Now, if FSU drops a game this season, they can be out of the playoff picture fast, because this late in season... any loss will hurt any teams...
If Conference Championships are a major factor, I guess ND is out.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Not exactly true. If Ole miss loses to MSU, and MSU loses to alabama, Alabama goes. Ole miss has to win out to order to go to SEC. One loss, and Bama or MSU could win Head to head because of their opponent win/losses
Good point and you are correct. I am still standing by if we win out we are in the play-off.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I have to second the confusion about Notre Dame being in without another loss, by anyone that thinks Alabama will be left out. Notre Dame isn't going to win the ACC (as importantly, they lost to presumptive ACC winner), Alabama isn't likely to win the SEC. Both lost to very good teams, but Alabama's loss was earlier and involved more significant injuries to my knowledge (committee criteria). Alabama also plays a tougher schedule.

I think Notre Dame has a good shot, absolutely. I'd put Michigan State and Oregon behind them. But, I don't see how one might think the committee is going to favor conference champs and Notre Dame, one argument defeats the other.

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
1. Mississippi State wins out and wins SEC Championship/Auburn wins out.

2. Ole Miss wins out and wins SEC Championship/Bama wins out.

3. Georgia wins out/MSU or Ole Miss wins out and loses in SEC Championship/Bama or Auburn wins out.

I am hoping for scenario number two. Bama plays in four team playoff without having to beat Georgia or Missouri in SEC Championship game.

My final four picks: Bama/Ole Miss/Ohio State/FSU

These scenarios are incomplete and have to include what happens to Oregon, Michigan State as 1 loss conference champions.

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
Well, I'm a Bama fan, not an SEC fan. So I don't particularly care whether the SEC gets one or two teams in...as long as Bama gets in. But, IMO, the only way Bama gets in as an 11-1 non-champ is if by seasons end, there are only four undefeated or one loss teams left for the committee too chose from, and we're one of 'em.

All of these scenarios are predicated on us winning out. But there are several other teams that could also "win out". This final four is not only about inclusion, but also exclusion. For example, if Oregon wins out and are 12-1 Pac-12 champs, will they be left out in favor of an 11-1 SEC non division winner? I don't think so. What if tOSU wins out? A 12-1 Big-10 champ or an 11-1 SEC runner-up? What about Baylor? An 11-1 Big-12 champ or Bama? We might get in over a Big-12 champ, but the last time that happened it led to the demise of the BCS in favor of this committee and their new criteria and that was done for a reason...not to do the same thing again. And then there's ND. AN 11-1 team whose only loss was to FSU, or an 11-1 Bama whose lone loss was to OM. The past has not been favorable for the Tide when it comes to ND ('66 and'77). There have been many posts about why Bama should go, and the Bama fan in me agrees, but the realist says otherwise. Perhaps by seasons end there will be pretty obvious choices, I'm sure the committee hopes so. But one thing's for sure...we gotta beat Tennercee this week. RTR

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.