Scenarios for the SEC to get two teams in four team playoff.

tidefan82

1st Team
Aug 16, 2000
Opp,Alabama,U.S.
1. Mississippi State wins out and wins SEC Championship/Auburn wins out.

2. Ole Miss wins out and wins SEC Championship/Bama wins out.

3. Georgia wins out/MSU or Ole Miss wins out and loses in SEC Championship/Bama or Auburn wins out.

I am hoping for scenario number two. Bama plays in four team playoff without having to beat Georgia or Missouri in SEC Championship game.

My final four picks: Bama/Ole Miss/Ohio State/FSU

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
The one I have been thinking about is OM loses once and Bama wins out. OM goes to the SEC championship game since they have the tiebreaker over us and Bama would be ranked #1 or #2 and OM at #3, #4 or #5. We are insured a spot in the playoff yet OM must beat GA to get to the playoff. That would flip some people on their heads.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
The one I have been thinking about is OM loses once and Bama wins out. OM goes to the SEC championship game since they have the tiebreaker over us and Bama would be ranked #1 or #2 and OM at #3, #4 or #5. We are insured a spot in the playoff yet OM must beat GA to get to the playoff. That would flip some people on their heads.
Bama Is NOT insured anything without being SEC Champion.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
The best thing for us (in addition to winning out) is to have Oregon, ND and Michigan state lose again. Those teams are going to be knocking on the door.

-Oregon is just Oregon...and the media is wanting to see how they do in the playoff.

-You notice they are hyping up Ohio State again? Well Michigan State plays them later. If they win out and win the big 10...look for a big push for them.

-ND is being rewarded for a close win on the road. (Guess they forget our close win ...on the road). If they win out..you will have a hard push for them too.

BamaFanOnBeach

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 15, 2007
This is just my opinion:

FSU is in the playoff as long they are ACC champion and undefeated.

The SEC champion is in as long as they have 1 loss or less (OM, MSU, UGA, Bama, and Auburn all in contention)

Big 10 Champion is in as long as they have 1 loss or less (Mich. state, OSU, or Nebraska win out)

Pac12 champ is in as long as they have 1 loss or less (Oregon, Arizona ST. Arizona or Utah must win out)

The above 4 conference champs are in provided they meet the above loss criteria

If that doesn't happen then the "fill ins" will be picked from:
a one loss Notre Dame team, a one loss non sec champion, a 1 loss big12 champ and a 1 loss ACC champ (most likely in that order).

So to answer the OP question, for 2 sec teams to get in then 2 of the following 3 needs to happen: the ACC champ needs to have 1 loss, the Big10 and/or Pac 12 champs needs to have 2 losses.

Bama's best chance to get in the playoff is to win out and have MSU beat Ole Miss. That should put Bama in the SEC championship game.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Big 10 Champion is in as long as they have 1 loss or less (Mich. state, OSU, or Nebraska win out)
At this point the Big 10 champion's resume might as well be written on Swiss cheese. They got killed in their bowl games last year, they got killed in OOC this year (Michigan State is somehow trying to hang their hat on an OOC loss, which is an odd way to argue you deserve to be in), and none of them will have an SoS that should be taken seriously. Math beats the Big 10 champion this year.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
This is just my opinion:

FSU is in the playoff as long they are ACC champion and undefeated.

The SEC champion is in as long as they have 1 loss or less (OM, MSU, UGA, Bama, and Auburn all in contention)

Pac12 champ is in as long as they have 1 loss or less (Oregon, Arizona ST. Arizona or Utah must win out)

The above 4 conference champs are in provided they meet the above loss criteria

If that doesn't happen then the "fill ins" will be picked from:
a one loss Notre Dame team, a one loss non sec champion, a 1 loss big12 champ and a 1 loss ACC champ (most likely in that order).

So to answer the OP question, for 2 sec teams to get in then 2 of the following 3 needs to happen: the ACC champ needs to have 1 loss, the Big10 and/or Pac 12 champs needs to have 2 losses.

Bama's best chance to get in the playoff is to win out and have MSU beat Ole Miss. That should put Bama in the SEC championship game.
If both F$U and ND win out, both will be in because of the way their game ended. And just because they are F$U and ND.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Then they can't use the "We don't want a Bama-Ol Miss rematch" excuse to keep us out.

They are praying Ol' Sis runs the table. In that case, they'll find a way to put Nutter Dumber in.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Perfect field of 4:

Alabama plays Ole Miss & FSU plays ND in round one rematches - winners play for the title. :cool2:

rangertau

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 29, 2000
Fairfax, VA
OM needs two losses and Bama to win out to ensure we are in the SEC Champ game which Bama must also win. That is the only certain way. Playoffs have already started - at least it's double elimination at this time of year.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
This is the new Sims vs. Coker. Except now those who disagree will have their intelligence questioned.

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC
At this point the Big 10 champion's resume might as well be written on Swiss cheese. They got killed in their bowl games last year, they got killed in OOC this year (Michigan State is somehow trying to hang their hat on an OOC loss, which is an odd way to argue you deserve to be in), and none of them will have an SoS that should be taken seriously. Math beats the Big 10 champion this year.
Politics and pandering beats math when you have a committe picking teams. I hope I'm wrong, but I really don't think this is about getting the 4 best teams. I think 2 of the 5 would have to happen for a 1-loss non-SEC champion to get in: 2-loss Big 10 champ, 2-loss Pac-12 champ, 2-loss Big 12 champ, 2-loss ACC champ, 2-loss ND.

That said, if we're in the initial top 4 released, it will likely alter my opinion considerably.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.