Sooners' Mike Stoops hopes to see rule addressed (linemen downfield on passes)

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I share the frustration with treatment of Stoops' comments vs. the blasting Saban got for saying exactly the same thing.

That said, the primary goal for all of us is to (1) get the current rule enforced...which it isn't, and (2) hopefully get it changed, acknowledging that changing a rule of this magnitude is a drawn-out process.

Having another coach publicly advocating for this, especially one of Stoops' stature can only help to achieve that goal.

Sometimes help comes from unexpected places.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Unless it has changed the rules are the same on a punt. Pay attention to rugby style punters and watch where the interior linemen are when he finally punts if you want to see some gross violations of the rules.
Man, i agree with you on this. This past week in our hs game...the punter would rugby style it while running wide right. A couple of times, i don't understand why he didn't go ahead and run the sweep? And his linemen were 10 yards or better downfield.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I truly believe this will be addressed in the offseason. This has been huge advantage for lot of spread teams.. and if the rules were to be changed, this could kill Auslaw, Ole miss, Miss state, and other's advantage and be forced to play grown man's football. I don't have issues with OL going downfield, but there are times where referees needs to address that. That's why we need to have extra umpires on the field to battle that. I think if we had that, Lot more teams would have 3 or 4 losses by now.

Bama-94-00

All-American
Nov 1, 2004
Huntsville/Madison, AL area
Unless it has changed the rules are the same on a punt. Pay attention to rugby style punters and watch where the interior linemen are when he finally punts if you want to see some gross violations of the rules.
And there's not supposed to be roughing on the punter on those since he is out of the punter/kicker 'box' and could be a fake. (Unless something in the rules has changed here.)

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Bob came off sounding kind of whiny, but that doesn't mean he isn't absolutely right. The Barn, Oregon, et al have been getting away with this since they changed the clock rules. Not getting away with it some times, but incorporating it into their offense, correctly believing it would hardly ever be called and that it was worth the risk. Cracking down on it will make a big difference. A&M did it a lot in the past, but in fairness to their O-line, there was no way to tell what JFF was going to do on a particular play.

Too many officials got caught up just watching the game and trying to keep up, not enforcing the rules. Seems like over in the PAC 12 they didn't want to really enforce this rule. A few more coaches complaining about it with video on line to back them up and it'll embarrass the various leagues into enforcing it. Would really help if someone on Gameday would start squawking about it. Sadly, the nzaa and the conference big wigs are more attentive to the media types than their own coaches.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Man, i agree with you on this. This past week in our hs game...the punter would rugby style it while running wide right. A couple of times, i don't understand why he didn't go ahead and run the sweep? And his linemen were 10 yards or better downfield.
I know exactly which game you are talking about. I rewound the DVR several times thinking "you have got to me kidding me"... The dang center was 10 yards downfield by the time he punted.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Yup..I've thought it was against the rules..Have they changed that rule or just not calling it as a favor to the Gus bus offense & other HUNH Sread Offenses..If it's against the rules..Call it or get rid of the rule & if their QB is laid the heck out during that play..Don't call a PF against the D..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.